Laptop and iPad ban

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Worth thinking about the information you store and carry electronically when going Stateside in light of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/09/uk-tourists-to-us-may-get-asked-to-hand-in-passwords-or-be-denied-entry

Many ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ here, it seems to me but worth thinking about of you deal in sensitive material. I don’t……

FDOS_UK
    Participant

A defence sector client I have worked with would only allow it’s employees to travel to the US with ‘clean’ laptops, for this very reason.

There are other strategies, such as having multiple layers of encryption, where one can provide a password that allows access to non-confidential data, but leaves a hidden space that is accessed in a different way – of course, that would result in an expert discovering it (if it got that far) and one would have to lie to the US authorities. Is that a good idea- I don’t think so, so I tend to agree with the lady in the article, probably best to avoid the USA, if possible, for the time being.

This is the typical type of problem one can encounter, when working in different legal jurisdictions.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Two updates to this topic.

1. The other day, I flew from Tbilisi to London via Istanbul. Not being sure of how the system at IST would work, I packed the laptop, surrounded by bubble wrap, in the check-in hold bag and it arrived perfectly safely in London. However, the procedure advertised by TK seemed to be working well. Laptops and tablets were being handed in at the gate in IST, and at baggage reclaim at LHR, there was the TK staff member handing them back.

2. There is some confusion. Checking in at Tunis this week, to fly back to London on AF via CDG, the check-in agent said that I needed to have to laptop in the hold bag. No, I said, that is only for direct Tunis – UK flights. It took a talk to her supervisor before she accepted that I was right.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Qatar Airways CEO interviewed about the ban

Qatar Airways CEO: Laptop ban doesn’t make flying safer

stevescoots
    Participant

Sat in DXB lounge on way to BHX at the moment and as I came through A terminal from HKG no-one took out laptops, except me and i was told no need to. I always have before here. I wonder it that inconsistancy is what makes the security services nervous, aside from the obvious protectionism.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=802425]Two updates to this topic.

2. There is some confusion. Checking in at Tunis this week, to fly back to London on AF via CDG, the check-in agent said that I needed to have to laptop in the hold bag. No, I said, that is only for direct Tunis – UK flights. It took a talk to her supervisor before she accepted that I was right.

[/quote]

This is what makes the whole thing so ridiculous.
    A. it’s ok to blow everyone up between Tunis and CDG but not between CDG and and UK?
    B. has no one heard of a timer, software in a laptop that can wake up the computer on a direct Tunis – UK flight?

If they are that dangerous I’m all in favour of banning the carrying of all laptops on all fights everywhere in hand baggage and in the hold. Two benefits here:
    1. Passing through security should be quicker
    2. Great business opportunity for laptop rentals at destinations and all relevant files can be kept in the cloud or on a memory stick.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I have to say I was taken by surprise by this. I had thought that the laptop ban on flights into the UK had been lifted altogether, but I was wrong.

I didn’t see anything about it when I booked to fly to Cairo, but now I am checking in for the return, I have received alerts telling me that I will have to check in both my laptop and iPad.

Screen-Shot-2018-06-28-at-09.01.21

The information on the British Airways site is here and give the clear implication that BA has no option but to comply.

Hand baggage restrictions for electronic items on flights from some countries

If you are flying on British Airways from Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia or Turkey. The cabin baggage security requirements only affect direct flights FROM these countries to the UK.

You are not able to carry laptops, tablets and larger mobile phones in your hand baggage on these flights. Only mobile phones smaller than the following dimensions will be allowed in the cabin:

Length: 16 cm
    Width: 9.3 cm
    Depth: 1.5 cm
    In addition, certain items known as peripheral devices (which can be attached to a laptop, tablet or larger mobile phone) are also subject to new security requirements. Please refer to the UK Department for Transport’s website for more information about what peripheral devices and other items can be transported. Please be aware that some peripheral devices will not be allowed on board the aircraft at all.

Any laptops, tablets, larger mobile phones or peripheral devices which are still permitted to be carried in your checked baggage must be switched off (not in sleep or hibernation mode) before being checked-in. The items should be packed in protective packaging to prevent unintentional activation.

Although the additional requirements only apply to flights FROM these countries, you may wish to consider how you pack your hand baggage and checked baggage on your flight from the UK so that you can comply on your return journey to London. Customers should ensure that any electronic devices placed into the aircraft hold are given adequate protection.

All British Airways flights to/from these countries continue to operate as normal. If you are due to travel, please arrive in good time for the various stages of your journey including check-in, main security search areas and at the boarding gate. You will be subject to additional searches and questions.

It is likely that we will be calling customers to the boarding gate earlier in the listed countries so please do all you can to help us depart the flight punctually.

The safety and security of our customers and crew will always be our top priority and we continue to work very closely with governments and airports around the world. Thank you for your patience and understanding in helping us to comply with the additional security requirements.

If you go to that page it seems to imply that the decision is the airline’s…

Changes to Uk aviation safety
    It actually says

“Restrictions have also been lifted on a number of individual airlines operating from other airports. The vast majority of carriers operating from airports in Turkey, Saudi Arabia, Jordan, Lebanon and Egypt are no longer subject to these restrictions. Passengers should contact their airlines for advice about whether their flights are affected.”

The UK government has lifted a ban on carrying large electronic devices in the aircraft cabin of some flights to the UK…

Some airlines have decided to maintain the ban for operational reasons. This does not reflect the security standards at these airports, but is an operational decision by individual carriers. Passengers travelling from these airports should contact their airlines for advice about whether their flights are affected:

Turkey: Istanbul Atatürk, Dalaman
    Egypt: Cairo
    Saudi Arabia: Jeddah, Riyadh
    Jordan: Amman
    Lebanon: Beirut
    The restrictions are no longer applied on any airports in Tunisia.

Anyway, I’ll be checking in both my laptop and iPad !

Swissdiver
    Participant

How annoying! Well, thank you for the update anyway.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

And what about those of us who travel handbag only…. can we only rely on the inadequate security systems?

FDOS_UK
    Participant

If you go to that page it seems to imply that the decision is the airline’s…

I heard that to lift the ban, DfT required the provision of extra security measures, which some airlines bore the cost of and others didn’t.

Of course, this is hearsay.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

The Egyptians I spoke to were so surprised that this was still the case that they all said I must be mistaken until I showed them the emails and the website.

I am all for security, of course, but it is very frustrating, and as we discussed last year on this thread, I do not like the idea of 200+ laptops going into the hold as checked luggage with all those lithium batteries, especially if someone does not power down their laptop or iPad. I don’t think it’s very safe.

Then there’s the insurance part (if the laptop is damaged, not if the plane catches fire)

Anyway, we will see what happens at the airport at 0600 tomorrow morning.

jsn55
    Participant

Seems pretty simple to me … don’t travel with a computer.

The bureaucrats who make this stuff up don’t give a fig about what our needs and wants are.

They know perfectly well that nobody in their right mind will check an electronic device … the possibilities for disaster are too numerous to mention.

It’s all a matter of control, they want us to get used to following absurd orders like this.

We’re all going along with the liquids/creams/gel baloney, aren’t we?

So that’s been very successful, let’s see what we can get away with next.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I’d love to leave the laptop at home, but I can’t since I need it to work during the week.

Anyway, it survived, and we all survived, and I got chatting to my fellow passengers in World Traveller. One fo them travels frequently on the Cairo route, but also to Saudia Arabia, which has the same rules in place. He was considering flying other airlines that don’t have this same restriction on hand held items.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Rules changed last week, for Egypt at least…

FLIGHTS FROM EGYPT From Wednesday 1 August 2018, the previous restrictions on electronic items which had been in place on British Airways flights from Egypt have been lifted and our normal hand baggage rules will now apply. Customers flying from Egypt will still experience a range of extra security checks at the boarding gate.

FLIGHTS FROM JORDAN, LEBANON, SAUDI ARABIA AND TURKEY

If you are flying on British Airways from Jordan, Lebanon, Saudi Arabia or Turkey. The cabin baggage security requirements only affect direct flights FROM these countries to the UK. The cabin baggage security requirements only affect direct flights FROM these countries to the UK.

You are not able to carry laptops, tablets and larger mobile phones in your hand baggage on these flights. Only mobile phones smaller than the following dimensions will be allowed in the cabin:

Length: 16 cm
    Width: 9.3 cm
    Depth: 1.5 cm
    In addition, certain items known as peripheral devices (which can be attached to a laptop, tablet or larger mobile phone) are also subject to new security requirements. Please refer to the UK Department for Transport’s website for more information about what peripheral devices and other items can be transported. Please be aware that some peripheral devices will not be allowed on board the aircraft at all.

> Visit the UK Department for Transport’s website

Any laptops, tablets, larger mobile phones or peripheral devices which are still permitted to be carried in your checked baggage must be switched off (not in sleep or hibernation mode) before being checked-in. The items should be packed in protective packaging to prevent unintentional activation.

Although the additional requirements only apply to flights FROM these countries, you may wish to consider how you pack your hand baggage and checked baggage on your flight from the UK so that you can comply on your return journey to London. Customers should ensure that any electronic devices placed into the aircraft hold are given adequate protection.

All British Airways flights to/from these countries continue to operate as normal. If you are due to travel, please arrive in good time for the various stages of your journey including check-in, main security search areas and at the boarding gate. You will be subject to additional searches and questions.

It is likely that we will be calling customers to the boarding gate earlier in the listed countries so please do all you can to help us depart the flight punctually.

The safety and security of our customers and crew will always be our top priority and we continue to work very closely with governments and airports around the world. Thank you for your patience and understanding in helping us to comply with the additional security requirements.

capetonianm
    Participant

I have just flown CPT-ZRH-AMS on Edelweiss/LX with a laptop in checked baggage (old chunky great thing with no value except to its owner who wanted it brought back from CPT), and wasn’t asked at check-in if I had a laptop or similar in my checked baggage.

Overnighted in AMS and then when I went to check in for an EZY flight onwards was asked if I had any electronic devices in checked bags, replied affirmative, and had to remove it. A bit annoying as the suitcase had been film-wrapped in CPT, the checkin lady was terribly apologetic and said she wasn’t allowed to give me scissors or a knife to get it off (a bit silly as it was landside) but offered to do it for me.

No problem at all, I just find the inconsistency irritating.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls