Laptop and iPad ban

Back to Forum

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 65 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  LuganoPirate 29 May 2017
at 11:06

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Worth thinking about the information you store and carry electronically when going Stateside in light of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/apr/09/uk-tourists-to-us-may-get-asked-to-hand-in-passwords-or-be-denied-entry

Many ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’ here, it seems to me but worth thinking about of you deal in sensitive material. I don’t……

FDOS_UK
    Participant

A defence sector client I have worked with would only allow it’s employees to travel to the US with ‘clean’ laptops, for this very reason.

There are other strategies, such as having multiple layers of encryption, where one can provide a password that allows access to non-confidential data, but leaves a hidden space that is accessed in a different way – of course, that would result in an expert discovering it (if it got that far) and one would have to lie to the US authorities. Is that a good idea- I don’t think so, so I tend to agree with the lady in the article, probably best to avoid the USA, if possible, for the time being.

This is the typical type of problem one can encounter, when working in different legal jurisdictions.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Two updates to this topic.

1. The other day, I flew from Tbilisi to London via Istanbul. Not being sure of how the system at IST would work, I packed the laptop, surrounded by bubble wrap, in the check-in hold bag and it arrived perfectly safely in London. However, the procedure advertised by TK seemed to be working well. Laptops and tablets were being handed in at the gate in IST, and at baggage reclaim at LHR, there was the TK staff member handing them back.

2. There is some confusion. Checking in at Tunis this week, to fly back to London on AF via CDG, the check-in agent said that I needed to have to laptop in the hold bag. No, I said, that is only for direct Tunis – UK flights. It took a talk to her supervisor before she accepted that I was right.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Qatar Airways CEO interviewed about the ban

Qatar Airways CEO: Laptop ban doesn’t make flying safer

stevescoots
    Participant

Sat in DXB lounge on way to BHX at the moment and as I came through A terminal from HKG no-one took out laptops, except me and i was told no need to. I always have before here. I wonder it that inconsistancy is what makes the security services nervous, aside from the obvious protectionism.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Two updates to this topic.

2. There is some confusion. Checking in at Tunis this week, to fly back to London on AF via CDG, the check-in agent said that I needed to have to laptop in the hold bag. No, I said, that is only for direct Tunis – UK flights. It took a talk to her supervisor before she accepted that I was right.

This is what makes the whole thing so ridiculous.
    A. it’s ok to blow everyone up between Tunis and CDG but not between CDG and and UK?
    B. has no one heard of a timer, software in a laptop that can wake up the computer on a direct Tunis – UK flight?

If they are that dangerous I’m all in favour of banning the carrying of all laptops on all fights everywhere in hand baggage and in the hold. Two benefits here:
    1. Passing through security should be quicker
    2. Great business opportunity for laptop rentals at destinations and all relevant files can be kept in the cloud or on a memory stick.

Viewing 6 posts - 61 through 66 (of 66 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription

To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below

Polls