Laptop and iPad ban

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)

• Swissdiver
    Participant

I will certainly not let those idiots in DC deciding where I go and where I don’t go. So for me too, it will be a route change. I guess QR will see me more often when going to the Middle East, and possibly Air France as well providing they are not blindly following Uncle Sam as the Brits did.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Next up, banning all carry ons followed by a ban on checked luggage! It’s all getting rather ridiculous I think.

JKL
    Participant

I wonder whether / for whom a viable solution might be iPhone + pico projector + Bluetooth keyboard + iCloud (or USB stick for confidential files) + the usual productivity apps…

Probably only a matter of time before iPhones (and similar) have much higher video-out resolution. Maybe there’s a market for Bluetooth keyboards with built-in projectors. Or maybe projectors will be built into the phones. Roll-up e-ink screens probably aren’t that far away either… Phones pretty much already have most of the processing power most people need most of the time (always exceptions, of course).

Doesn’t change the fundamental apparent stupidity of the new rules, though šŸ˜‰

MartynSinclair
    Participant

This is becoming a farce, just like taking liquids through security.

All electronics larger than a phone are not allowed in the cabin on certain flights, yet once on board, the airline can lend you the same item and also connect you the the internet foc. Do they have a different style of battery?

Dominic Ellis
    Participant

Etihad is now offering free wifi and iPads on all its US-bound flights from Abu Dhabi for First and Business Class travellers. Vouchers are being handed out with onboard welcome drinks.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Dominic, this is precisely what Alex wrote yesterday, 2 posts above yours…

Martyn, This is indeed a farce from the US authorities. What I do not get is the reason why the British authorities followed…

Dominic Ellis
    Participant

Apologies!

stevescoots
    Participant

I just read they have now banned headphones such as Bose QC etc as they are electronic devices larger than a “smart phone” even passive non noise cancelling ones. can anyone verify that?

Swissdiver
    Participant

[quote quote=797932]I just read they have now banned headphones such as Bose QC etc as they are electronic devices larger than a ā€œsmart phoneā€ even passive non noise cancelling ones. can anyone verify that?

[/quote]

Plausible given the TSA website

LuganoPirate
    Participant

How does this work? You arrive in Dubai eg from Mumbai with laptop, pass security, spend transit time in airport then board flight to US where laptop is banned. Is there a second security scan at the gate? There wasn’t on my recent flight through Dubai.

flyman747
    Participant

the UK require them to be put in the hold at the beginning of your journey, but it’s unclear whether they mean if transiting through the listed airports, or from one, via an unlisted airport

Kass
    Participant

[quote quote=797379]

Passengers need to check whether a checked in laptop is covered on their travel policy.

For some, itā€™s irrelevant, they cannot check in equipment because of data protection issues.

Iā€™m one of them.

Have to leave it at home then ā€¦?

Wrong.

Will just fly a different route.

[/quote]

Good

Kass
    Participant

[quote quote=797801]Etihad now offering free iPads to F and J passengers flying between the Gulf and USA.

http://www.etihad.com/en-ae/info/us-free-wifi/

http://www.thenational.ae/uae/transport/etihad-offers-ipads-to-some-us-bound-passengers-following-ban-on-electronic-devices

[/quote]

Thing is… surely that defeats object… suspect items could be in the loan ones!!

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 75 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls