LAN and One World

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Anonymous

dutchyankee
    Participant

With the government of Chili finally giving LAN the green light to take over TAM (with a number of provisos), does anyone know which alliance is most likely to be the surviving alliance of the new airline group to be called LATAM, One World or Star?

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1316653466.html

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1316653826.html

Hippocampus
    Participant

If claims that the regulators in Chile have stipulated that LAN/TAM cannot be in the same alliance as Avianca-Tapa and Copa (which are joining/have joined Star) are correct then unless there is a major shifting of the plates LAN will be staying in Oneworld and TAM will be moving over.

transtraxman
    Participant

If LAN stays in while TAM moves into “oneworld” then the rumours about IAG buying TAP will not come to fruition. I cannot see how the European authorities would approve such a takeover of TAP by IAG. Iberia already has the largest share on the Europe-Latin America routes. By buying TAP then the “oneworld” grouping would dominate.

What bets are there for TAP to fall into the hands of Lufthansa – TAP is already in Star Alliance – or AirFrance/KLM? This is a possibility since Lufthansa already dominates in Europe with four airlines under its belt so the European authorities might object to LH buying up another European airline.

RichHI1
    Participant

I would suspect Air Fance / KLM is the more likely way forward. TAM used to have a tie up with AA then moved to *A I think 1 year ago. I think the Brazilians will complain but eventually it will all go One world.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls