KLM to restore non-stop service to Taipei from end October

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

At the same time KLM will increase flight frequency to four flights a week.

The new schedule is effective from end October.

The non-stop Amsterdam-Taipei flight will continue to Manila and will return the same way to Amsterdam.

The news, reported by Luctvaartnieuws.nl [NL], will be of interest to those readers based in the UK regions who will now be able to connect in Amsterdam rather than London Heathrow.

This is a politically sensitive route and KLM has continued to operate to Taipei over the years whereas other European carriers have come and gone.

Remember British Asia Airways ? Air France Asie ? Swissair Asia ? Condor (Lufthansa used the Condor name when flying to Taipei) ?

https://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/nieuws/categorie/2/airlines/klm-weer-non-stop-naar-taiwan

4 users thanked author for this post.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thanks Alex – do you know the schedules for these flights? And guess equipment will be 789/772.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Flights now available for booking.

B787-9

Flight time outwards 12 hrs 45 mins ; return 14 hrs 40 mins

I checked the random dates of Oct 31 out, Nov 9 return.

KL 807 2005 – 1550 (next day arrival)
    KL 808 0040 – 0820 (same day arrival)

As you can see these timings provide maximum connectivity for feeder flights from all over Europe.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I flew out on the KLM 789 service to KUL/MNL 3 weeks ago, but it did fly onto Manilla then, returning the same way. The crews i were talking too had a 2 night stop in KUL, then several more days in MNL, which varied as this service to KUL is only 5 days a week.

I have a booking also on the same flight in Oct, and the KLM flight changes only to 1 hr later departing 20.30hrs Ex AMS.
    Fares are not cheap with a Lower price of over £2.250 return AMS_KLM Business class.

I have not checked forward timetables as busy in Australia, but is the above replacing or supplementing the MNL arrangements?

sparkyflier
    Participant

MarcusGB – I think KLM is restoring the traditional route of Manila being served via Taipei. KLM used to serve Jakarta I think via Kuala Lumpur bit now does it via SIN, using 77W. It seems KUL is becoming standalone 789, but stand to be corrected.

KLM really had to ration its Asia network after Covid and then of course Russian airspace closure.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Hello MarcusGB-

This non-stop AMS-TPE KLM flight is all about making it more competitive.

Currently KLM’s flights to Taipei are operated as a tag to its Seoul service.

In other words KLM adopts the routing: AMS-ICN-TPE-ICN-AMS.

This adds hours to KLM’s current flight schedule to Taipei.

As I noted above the AMS-TPE non-stop flight will, from end October, continue on to Manila.

KLM is the only European airline to have served Taipei for many years. The others have come and gone.

1 user thanked author for this post.

MarcusGB
    Participant

I have just checked my booking , which leaves ex AMS early October, and returns the last week of October.
    The flight still goes to KUL, then onto, and back from Manila. It remains unchanged, a 789,both ways.

I am aware that on booking, Air France was an option from LHR, or AMS, linking the AF flight to Singapore, with the new Business Class cabin.
    In fact, i return in a few weeks time, from Jakarta, to Singapore, where i board the AF Flight back to CDG.
    I know also, that KLM runs their 773 (still 2-2-2 in Business class), also from Jakarta.

In my mind, the better flights features the new AF Suites on the Air France flights, but equally the 789 is far better than their 772/3’s towards Asia now.

I just tried some mock bookings, and still the AMS-SIN KLM 773, is in fact travelling onto Jakarta SOME days of the week, other times it goes onto DPS / Bali.
    However, the once daily flight travels to Singapore first.

It remains that AF is only about 1-2 hrs earlier out and back, from the KLM flight, at times linking CDG passengers onto the KLM flight coming out, to Indonesia. However, there are days when the KLM flight through to Singapore, then books you onto (Low Cost) Jetstar Asia, which is a side arm to Qantas, or Singapore Airlines, or Garuda.

So through October at least now, as i can see in my booking and in trying a mock booking, the KUL flights, still carry on to Manila!

It should be noted, that when KLM / AF “stop” en route as AMS-SIN-CGK,you do Not get credits for the 2nd sector for your FFP, perhaps the miles only.
    This means you lose in a Business booking,15 xp’s each way, towards your membership renewal each way. If you transfer at KUL to Garuda or Malaysian, you will earn those XPs and miles.
    It is not very comfortable having to pack up, get off aircraft in SIN, or KUL, go round, through security there, and sit in the same departure gate, to depart about 70 Mins later again. Better to take a break, refresh, walk and change to a different airline, also earn more XP’s and miles towards yr level in the FFP.

KLM remains Unique in my view, to running flights for many years prior to Covid and now after, in sending their single flights to The Far East, then onto a 2nd Asian destination. Also to South America destinations.

I am not sure where – If the AF flight goes onto from singapore, but maybe i shall find on my return. as i get on the inbound late eve flight.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Feedback would be welcome Marcus.

Yes by “end October” I meant it would be the time of the summer-winter timetable change.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls