KLM New World Business Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• Anonymous

Vertrek
    Participant

To all KLM flyer and those who are interested!

Accidentally found this news in google,

http://www.zawya.com/story/ZAWYA20120412141052/KLM-revitalises-its-World-Business-Class-cabin-interior-in-association-with-leading-Dutch-designer-Hella-Jongerius/

KLM has hired Hella Jongerius – a Dutch designer – to design their new World Business Class seat and cabin due to be rolled out in June 2013. What would you want to see or what would you expect in their new World Business Class seat and cabin?

I personally think the seat should be 180* Flat bed (1-2-1 or 2-2-2) with no restriction to feet movement in sleeping position and the seat should offer different angle of seating position as well. Perhaps different angle of sleeping, as some people might prefer angled lie-flat.

And of course service bar (like VS) and self-service Kitchen like (BA), would be very welcome!

Henkel.Trocken
    Participant

This will be interesting to watch. I find KLM always offer a good standard of service even if their hard product is not leading edge. This is a real opportunity for them to forge ahead perhaps with a product similar to LX or maybe even CX.

Vertrek
    Participant

Indeed their service is always good.

I would expect the new J will be like LX/AY or DL-767 as it will fit more seats compared to CX one. But it would be a positive surprise if they chose CX J!

But for sure it will be a very good one as it made to tailor the Dutch comfort and the Dutch are known to be the tallest in the world which makes length and width of the seat need to be bigger than the standard.

The news also state that Hella is hired to design the cabin, electronic window curtain like BA F?

CXDiamond
    Participant

The CX C seat would indeed be a game changer for KLM, I guess it depends on whether they think they can recoup on their investment which means raising their fares. As they depend on a lot of transfer traffic it’s probably a bit of a risk. I would like to see them move up a few notches though.

As Vertrek says the service is always good and consistent. I don’t think I’ve ever had a poor experience of KLM.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Gentlemen !

Having been a long standing fan and admirer of KLM ,I would hope this will be a fantastic occasion to get things right I mean a real spacious Business Class cabin ..I can still recall and ((((miss )))) the fantastic spaciousness of the former design of the KLM s MD11 business cabin !!!!!!!!!!!!..like no other on Earth ..I can also recall KLM ads in the seventies and eighties claiming their B747 s to be ‘ the most beautiful spaceships in the world ” ..that was PRETTY true ….KLM s 744 in business still offer one of the most pleasant environments in business class in the sky yet oldish a bit ….come on ,KLM ..please adopt a SPACIOUS concept ,lie flat ……

Cheers !

Vertrek
    Participant

CXDiamond,

True! Or else, Etihad’s J is great as well, as there are no feet restriction when the seat turned horizontal, however, the downside is the lack of space for personal stuff.

KSHaggag,

happy to see the excitement, and yes, hopefully they get it right! Perhaps with a bar and self service kitchen.

Enjoy the sun if you all are in London!

CXDiamond
    Participant

KSHaggag – 15/04/2012 14:49 GMT

Gentlemen !

Were you addressing me as well or was this an exclusive and sexist comment? A pity if it was as the content of your post is rather good.

Vertrek:

I’ve never tried Etihad J but other reliable posters say good things about it. Just as LX operate a far superior C to LH, surely there is room for KL to operate a much better C than AF. Maybe the need to redefine their market and work out where they make most money and then go for the bigger spenders. While that would be a shame for many people who transfer and trade up to current KL C, it may be a sound investment.

MarcusUK
    Participant

Very interesting, thanks for alerting us to this.

As a Gold members with KLM for 15 yrs, I always have found flying with their crews an excellent experience, genuine, friendly, not pretentious or variable on board, like other airlines.
    They have recently strived to improve food, and my last flights, it comes out restaurant quality, and served with designer cutlery, and settings.

The Swan adverts they used to have created a wonderful image of KLM, and if any remember the days of KLM-UK based at Stanstead, they will remember having part of the terminal painted KLM blue with swans. but they have a neutral image these days on Board…

But for sure, they have fallen behind with the WBC seats and the cabin is now a little old hat. With Air France having Governance, they hold back KLM in many ways, and trying to match products between the two carriers does not work. AF offers no-where near the service on Board as KLM either!

The seat to be a fully flat 180, will be the only option to match the quality of the other Airlines. Which seating plan they pick interesting. I have flown Etihad and found theirs and LX, to be one of the best for a single traveller, in comfort and privacy, though not matching SQ!

Food and dining, they have already made huge progress and it is an excellent experience.

The cabin interior, well the famous KLM blue could be put to a more contemporary use, and a warmer more personalised feel. This will be balanced with what numbers of seats KLM feel they require in each cabin, and what layout, on finances.

Etihad made larger toilets, full length mirrors, wooden flooring, so much can be done with a little imagination.

Lets hope Virgin refresh their Upper Class also, about to be revealed.
    Few Airlines bother to start afresh, don’t have the finances, or simply have no imagination to do this, so it is quite an opportunity.

Their are so many Airlines, that looking at their seats on line, resemble more a Hospital operating table, and the cabins nothing short of clinical!

Good for KLM.

KSHaggag
    Participant

I agree with you ,Marcus UK !!!.,.I wish all the best to KLM ..

Yep..EY seems to be a black horse nowadays ..I like their progress on various fronts ….in terms of F & B they are the best in the GCC region currently ( across all classes ) ….

RichHI1
    Participant

Sounds vey interesting. I have always foudn the KLM flight attendants to be excellent and I really like the all Boeing fleet of KLM. The seats were a big let down. Look forward to review.

Vertrek
    Participant

CXD,

Yes, it is true, and they could differentiate AF and KLM through price, perhaps KLM J are for those who are willing to pay more for comfort and AF J are for those who are fare-conscous. In this way AF-KLM than cover all spectrums of Business class flying society.

Although I would like to see KL to introduce Premium economy as well.

—-II—-

MarcusUK!

Couldn’t agree more, I love KLM service and yes, I hope they retain the Blue colour and maybe add a little more colours to give a little bit of characteristic to it, such as white or cream as it is being reconsidered as well.

I am looking forward to VS new UC seat. Also. is there any news of them (VS) joining an alliance? It seems like Virgin Australia prefer ST to *A.

http://www.ausbt.com.au/virgin-australia-says-no-to-star-alliance-but-maybe-to-skyteam

Hope you all have a good weekend. 🙂

RichHI1
    Participant

Vertrek / CXD, as AF have a First Class offering on many routes and the Dutch have a reputation for parsonomy it would be more likely they would position AF as premium on KL from a business model perspective. Would be a mistake in my book as I believe KL is a better experience cabin for cabin than AF.

KSHaggag
    Participant

I do agree that KLM yes they have always had a better reputation for customer care than AF ,however the latter has been working hard recently to paint the image of a customer oriented ,caring airline ,focusing on the customer experience …we have to admit that AF has done a great effort to revamp seating on long haul in premium cabins ..the way the crew treat you on board has been inconsistent ( falling one time on a fantastic crew ,and one other time on a less than pleasant one ) ,but I personally have witnessed a LOOOOOOOOT of progress so far in this respect ….moreover ,AF is slated to offer a better culinary experience on board ( the French cuisine is renowned ) and I believe this is being done progressively ….The Dutch charm has always been evident but let s give AF the chance to demonstrate they can be serious at work ,focusing on those highly paying customers seeking comfort and reliability ..I salute the Premium Eco product ( not the best Premium Eco in the sky ) but it is still an advantage over KLM offering just 4 inches extra on the same seat for 60 Euros extra per flight …..

Vertrek
    Participant

Bonjour Rich!

Yes they are but most of the J flyers are not necessarily Dutch.

The reason I said that is also because AF/KLM combine their booking system, and usually KLM J fares are more expensive than AF. So, in a sense it is already like that (at least from the UK). I am looking to book a flight to SIN now for summer, and if I were to book my flight on KLM J, it cost £1400 more than AF, which I don’t think worth the difference + AF is putting their A380 to SIN.

I actually find AF crew to be friendly as well, although not as friendly as KL. They were really nice on 3 out of the 4 flights I took in the past month and the staffs throughout the Business Lounge were full of smile
    and I can see that it was all genuine as some of them even laugh with me when I was messing around with them which was really a big plus when you are feeling really tired.

MD

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls