KLM Economy Comfort

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Anonymous

In a couple of weeks I am flying to Jakarta via Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur.

My question is: is it worth it to upgrade to Economy Comfort for €120 o/w?

I have travelled to Delhi in EC on an MD-11 and found the seat adequate. This time the aircraft will be a 777-300. Should I go for the cheaper option…a preferred duo seat at the rear?

AMcWhirter
    Participant

In a way I’m surprised you aren’t taking GA which flies from London soon and is already non-stop from Amsterdam to Jakarta.

Am sure that if you shop around you’ll be able to obtain biz class at a discounted price with GA.

But if you do take KLM then check the economy layout as some of KLM’s B777s (all the B777-300ERs, for example) are 10-across.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Alexpo good evening. I have been on EK 773s at 10 across in Y and all I can say is never again. As the great AMcW has just said, the Garuda option is likely a superior product.
    Anyway if it is too late to change then I would have thought it a wise investment, but in any case at least you will have a Heineken to aid comfort/help with discomfort!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

no wonder you cant give up smoking 🙂

really 10 across… oy vay!

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Alexpo, I’ve not flown KLM so really don’t know what the seating is like, but for £120 I’d upgrade without a second thought. And, you never know, you may even get bumped up to business if you’re really lucky.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

alexpo – As you may have seen, KLM operates both older B777-200 and newer B777-300ER on this route. The B777 variant used depends on the day of the week.

The B777-200s seem at the present time, according to klm.com, to retain 9-across seating in economy.

The B777-300ERs were delivered from Boeing with 10-across economy layouts.

dsatrio
    Participant

GA will fly from LGW to CGK via AMS on Sep8, with a new B777-300ER. Their Y-class config on B777 is 9 seat abreast (vs. KLM’s or Emirate’s 10 abreast), which means more width, at least by a few inches. Much superior product I’d say..

AusTraveller
    Participant

seems like a no-brainer to me ..

MrMichael
    Participant

Alexpo, I would seriously consider Garuda. They have an excellent reputation in the air and on the ground. I used from Oz a couple of years ago, awesome service on a par with SQ.

Good morning all

I had already booked the flight before I started this thread!

But this is very interesting – I don’t usually pay attention to Economy configurations which is strange as that is where you will find me on most flights. This time I decided to consult my copy of the Seatplans survey 2014 and compare the 773 seatmaps on the major airlines…after I had paid!

Oh well, 10 across is not really ideal for such a long flight!! and although the 773 is my favourite aircraft I think it’s going to be a very long 21 hours which is the total journey time from Luxembourg.

Edited: I have just had a look at prices for LUX AMS LUX on the flights I will be on – approximately half the price I paid for LUX CGK return. Wow!

sparkyflier
    Participant

Do you know yet for a fact whether it is the 772 or 773 on the day that you fly? If you go into your reservation and manage my booking section you will be able to see.

KLM legroom in Y is pretty stingy at 31″, so even if it is the 772 at 9 across I would go for Economy Comfort. I recall that on the 772 there may be some 2 seats at the front of the Y(+ ish) cabin.

Frankly even if you are slim the 10 across is pretty hellish, so if you think Euro120/GBP95 is reasonable I would go for it.

Hello sparkyflyer

It’s definitely scheduled to be a 773.

I am looking at my reservation at the moment and the options are:

€120 Economy Comfort
    €70 Seat with extra legroom
    €30 Preferred seat (between row 59 and 63 on one side – all snapped up – and between 59 and 62 on the other side) where the configuration is 2-4-2.

I am on a very tight budget and €240 would easily cover a night in a 5* hotel in Jakarta.

I am a seriously impulsive person LOL, and will let you know which seat I go for.

Many thanks everyone

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

Indeed the front of the Economy cabin has a couple of rows of 2-4-2.
    However, I chose 11c – I think that’s what it was – which is the first of the 3s by the window with no seat in front. The bonus was that there was nobody in the middle seat either. That was my first EC experience and it won’t be my last, definitely worth the money in my eyes.

RaveAroundTheWorld
    Participant

Alexpo

I d take the better seat on the plane and downgrade the hotel – but that s just me. Especially if you go from plane to meetings as I often do….

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls