KLM Cattle Class

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)

• Anonymous

Swissdiver
    Participant

Was wondering if anyone had any recent experience on a long haul KLM flight in economy? I might fly on a 747 in July with them and hesitate…

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Try Economy Comfort for seating. Looks like a cosy cabin on the 747:

http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/KLM/seatplans/B747-400-23

Swissdiver
    Participant

Yep, this is what I have in mind… Hope to be able to do it with miles though…

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Good luck Swissdiver! My 26 year old kids who live in Holland gave up KLM a long time ago, preffering Swiss for comfort, service etc.

Swissdiver
    Participant

@LuganoPirate: 🙂 Am also considering LX. Somewhat more expensive though (with a x4 multiplier). And I would always prefer a 747 to these horrible A340s…

westernNorway
    Participant

I’m flying KLM long haul several times each year and the economy comfort seats are great value. It is also very quiet on 747. If you manage to get seats on the first row you’ll have more space than you need.

janrotterdam
    Participant

Let me chip in here too….I am a frequent traveller, and although KLM is not my preferred carrier I have used them for a long haul to Singapore (January 2011) and before that to Johannesburg (December 2010). Both cases I had booked economy, was upgraded (as Platinum for Life) to economy plus (at no extra fee). This was already granted before the flight. On the outbound leg to Jburg I was further upgraded to Business Class. The economy plus option is not bad at all……
    KLM definitely are more on my radar screen again…

ivornomates
    Participant

I have several friends who have to fly KLM long haul to Asia from Amsterdam as its their company policy. Apart from truly awful seats on very very old planes, the service is really awful and lost luggage seems to be a regular occurance almost every trip. Also bear in mind they still have the tiny antique TV screens on the ceiling and once the crew have served the compulsary chicken or beef, they will not been seen again as they all need their rest.

TominScotland
    Participant

There seems to be a very mixed response here. I use KLM frequently, in both WBC and Economy and, while I cannot get excited at the prospect, there is little to complain about either. Luggage and connections are normally reliable too, Amsterdam is very user friendly and KLM prices usually undercut most other options in all classes. The entertainment system on the 747 is a real downer in economy but on the 330 (my next trip in economy) it is seatback.

Economy Comfort is automatically given to Platinum Card holders at no extra cost – its not a discretionary upgrade. Others have to pay but not very much. That’s important because Economy Comfort is NOT equivalent to Premium Economy on the likes of BA or QF nor is it intended to be. The additional cost over Economy is marginal compared to BA and the like.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Thanks all.

I did a little homework. All KLM 747s are now equipped with the new economy seat, hence offering personal IFE screens, a must when travelling with children! Since I don’t really care for the inflight food, seems to be OK.

Question: I am as well a Platinum, but not the other members of the the family. So I guess I will have to pay to have them in “Comfort”. Do you know if I can do this with miles (I cannot check before purchasing)?

TominScotland
    Participant

The one time I was in that situation, my whole family (on the same booking) were automatically put in Economy Comfort with me, even though they do not have status. Best to ring the FD Help Desk – they are usually helpful (as they should be!!).

RichardB
    Participant

On the 747 the economy “comfort” seats just have a bit more leg room, but are the same width. So barely better than normal economy (and no different to an economy exit row seat).

At least the seats on the 747 are not the super narrow type they have fitted to the 777 (which is 10 across instead of the normal 9 across with most other carriers).

I used to fly klm a reasonable amount (and had platinum because of it). Now I have flown with them once in the past 3 years. Instead i’m flying with BA or LH about twice/month.

Fly many long haul sectors yearly on different airlines, both in Y and J. I don’t have to stick to a company travel policy, however I generally fly the cheapest available airline. This often is KLM. Some facts: their entire long haul fleet has AVOD in Y and J. Only on the 777-300 aircraft there are is 10 abreast. Food is usually very good, especially when flying from AMS. Cabin crew are very good as well and of course as with each airline there are exceptions. With regards to Economy Comfort: a great deal and outstanding on the 747. Not yet bookable with miles. From my experience, if holding a Platinum FB card it should be possible to have your entire family in Y+ for free if you are flying together.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Richard B – the seats themselves may be “barely better than normal economy” but what is different with Economy Comfort on KL’s B747 is where these seats are located.

See: http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/KLM/seatplans/B747-400-23

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls