KLM B777-200ER Economy Comfort

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anonymous

westernranger
    Participant

The flight was LHR-AMS-CPT and the Economy Comfort on the long-haul sector gives you a handy 35″ leg room and is definitely worth the extra money plus you get out the aircraft ahead of the masses. As usual with KLM, a good all-round service apart from the baggage which, along with 17 other peoples effects, was left behind and arrived the next day on the Air France flight from Paris. According to the handling agent in CPT, this is happening quite a lot nowadays……are they perhaps prioritising well paying airfreight ahead of passengers baggage ?

Speedbird_ABZ
    Participant

I travelled AMS/JFK/ATL/AMS in Economy Comfort in January and for the price it was fantastic.
    Being at the front of the plane is great when arriving in the US, plus meals were served to us first etc.
    Compared to a BA Pemium Economy ticket, we were £450 per person cheaper – no contest, I will definitely use KLM Economy Comfort again.

sparkyflier
    Participant

Thanks for your Review westernranger. What I have spotted in recent years, is when you make bookings with sites like opodo, expedia and even the airlines home sites, is that if you choose options which require connections, that these connection times, if you do not look closely, can be rediculously short, or long!

This is particularly the case when there are really good “deals”, whereas if you wanted a less tight, or not many , many hours at the connection point, lets say a sensible 2 hours to allow the first and incoming flight.

Often the lead in price to lets say Delhi via Amsterdam, or Nairobi via Zurich, or Rio via Lisbon or Paris, is very attractive indeed, but with a 40-50 minute connection.

I reckon airlines sell these in the knowledge that baggage might not transfer from plane to plane as radidly as the owner, and price to attract people with the risk very much in mind. I thnk it is this rather than prioritising for air freight, but you will know how tight your conenction was.

I remember a year or so ago a friend of mine flew Belo Horizonte to LHR via Porto, with a 40/50 minute connection! I Of course the luggage did not come through.

Anyway I hope you have more luck on future KLM flights and as the say the product is very appealing, and the crew usually a very decent, pleasant and efficient bunch.

westernranger
    Participant

Hi Sparkyflyer. Our luggage didn’t even make it onto the LHR-AMS connecting flight despite completing the bag drop 2hrs in advance. In the past using this routing we have had no problem with the connecting long-haul flight from AMS-CPT.
    It won’t put me off using KLM again but it’s surprising 17 peoples baggage didn’t even get onto the first plane at Heathrow !

Vertrek
    Participant

Western and Speedbird,

Good to hear that you had a great experience with them, KLM is indeed a very reliable airline, good product and an unbeatable service for European carrier. 😉

Spark,

I think for KLM (and AF + AZ ), 50 minutes is the minimum transit time. I’ve lived with this for a while now, to the extent that I have a very good cognitive map of CDG and AMS at the back of my head and my luggage has always arrived at my destination with me. I did the same transit time with both LX and LH and never got any problem with my luggage.

As Sir Richard Branson once said, “Your airline either got it or not”. Spark, perhaps your usual airline has not got what it takes to handle 50 minutes transiti time, yet! 😉

sparkyflier
    Participant

Hi Vertrek, thankfully and “touch wood” I have been quite lucky, and have even had a 20 minute connection on AZ at MXP where my luggage caught the same plane with me.

I suppose generally coming from LHR, where flights are often slightly late, and because I do not like rushing through an airport, at least 90 minutes seems a less stressful and more pleasurable travel experience. AMS of course is super at connecting at, but it is such a civilised place to be who would want to rush it!

Too long a connection is also not ideal – gives baggage “handlers” ample time to “inspect” the contents.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls