KLIA transit experience Emirates to domestic MAS then back

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• w8ster
    Participant

Haven’t used KLIA for a while.. will be flying in with Emirates, transit for domestic flight with MAS.. reverse on the way back..

Any suggestions? Recent experiences? Lounge experience both Emirates and MAS? Transfer between Int to Dom?

Thank you!

JKL
    Participant

I haven’t used the KLIA Emirates lounge myself, but I’ve heard very good things about it. Not sure whether you can use it as an arrivals lounge in preference to going direct to the MH Golden Lounge before your domestic flight?

All of the MH lounges were refurbished a year or two ago and are perfectly nice – very comfortable and relaxing so long as not too crowded.

I assume your domestic flight will leave from the main rather than satellite terminal (ironically, satellite is the bigger/international one, main is the smaller/regional one), but the transit between them is quick and frequent such that you could probably equally well use either terminal’s Golden Lounge (satellite is the ‘main’ lounge…). The transit between the two terminals, lounge to lounge, will probably take you no more than 10 minutes. If your status gets you into the Platinum/First lounge, I’d probably stay there (satellite terminal) and make the transfer just before boarding time, but otherwise the Regional lounge is possibly slightly nicer than the satellite Business lounge, being smaller, unless it happens to be very crowded when you arrive.

In the Platinum lounge, aside from the formal dining area, the air conditioning tends to be set to Arctic, so you may find you need a jacket or pullover (despite the tropical temperatures outside!).

If you do leave it to the last minute to transit between terminals, do check first that the train is operating! It has been known not to be… 😉 (There will be a replacement shuttle bus, or it’s theoretically possible to walk it). Don’t forget also that hand-baggage x-ray is done at the gate.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Polly
    Participant

We used it last week. Barely took 5 mins to satellite lounge. Very nice spacious, quiet, food and services much improved. Then 5 mins back.
    But if you have 1st status then its a much better experience in 1st lounge. We were in that last year when on BA F.

w8ster
    Participant

Thank you! Actually the transit is domestic.. based on MAS website that is different to regional / main terminal too. anyone tried to lounge at domestic yet?

definitely on the way back I shall be trying the Emirates Lounge or MAS Golden Lounge.

JKL
    Participant

Ah, I think you’ll have to clear immigration first in that case. That said, if I remember correctly (but perhaps someone else can confirm or otherwise), some of the ‘domestic’ airports on Borneo have their own immigration that you must pass through even when arriving from
    KL – so it may be that for those you don’t need first to clear st KLIA. Not sure.

Immigration at KLIA is *usually* quick and painless, but if you happen to catch it at the wrong time or on a bad day (e.g. public holidays) at can take an age, even through fast track. So if in doubt, definitely go there before the lounges! 😉

The domestic lounge (not the same as Regional – domestic is downstairs) is fine. Not quite as big or well-equipped as the satellite lounge, but a decent enough place to pass an hour or so.

Henry
    Participant

The MAS lounge at the domestic is very simple NO BEER NO WINE or spirits

w8ster
    Participant

Good thing I’ll be arriving in the morning 😉 no wine needed that time.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls