Kicked out of our BA seats….for money!

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

• SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=900650]I was in 1A on an SAA flight years ago when someone boarded, clicked his fingers at me, and barked : “My seat … if you don’t mind.”

I checked my boarding pass and pointed out to him that, no, it was my seat. at which he said : “I always have that seat …” and I said ” You haven’t got it today”

An FA came up and said to him : “You’ve got 2A today, Mr. ‘X’. He took his seat and continued to grumble, all directed at me. Later I realised who he was, a cabinet minister!

Of course had he asked politely if I would change seats, I would almost certainly have changed with him, whether he’d been a cabinet minister or not.[/quote]

I hope you helped him to enjoy his trip by reclining after takeoff.

nevereconomy
    Participant

That is outrageous even for BA, but I have been bumped out of chosen seats even in First for a couple of different reasons. I was looking forward to lifetime Gold but apparently Gold is not as shiny as it once was !

FDOS_UK
    Participant

As the forum knows, I am hardly a fanboi of BA, but I really don’t believe that the OP was re-seated to accommodate paying pax, even though he may have been told that.

GivingupBA
    Participant

[quote quote=900650]I was in 1A on an SAA flight years ago when someone boarded, clicked his fingers at me, and barked : “My seat … if you don’t mind.” I checked my boarding pass and pointed out to him that, no, it was my seat. at which he said : “I always have that seat …” and I said ” You haven’t got it today” An FA came up and said to him : “You’ve got 2A today, Mr. ‘X’. He took his seat and continued to grumble, all directed at me. Later I realised who he was, a cabinet minister! Of course had he asked politely if I would change seats, I would almost certainly have changed with him, whether he’d been a cabinet minister or not.[/quote]

That is a good and telling story. Some people’s sense of entitlement, and confidence in getting what they want, is breathtaking.

Good for you for standing your ground, and good for the cabin crew for leaving you alone (as was your right of course). And I like your comment “had he asked politely if I would change seats, I would almost certainly have changed with him”.

openfly
    Participant

@FDOS….no change of aircraft or configuration…normal aircraft with mid-J. Just greedy BA getting an extra £60 a seat and pi…ing off a couple of Gold card holders.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=900950]@FDOS….no change of aircraft or configuration…normal aircraft with mid-J. Just greedy BA getting an extra £60 a seat and pi…ing off a couple of Gold card holders.[/quote]

But do you know that the aircraft didn’t change at some stage and then go back to the original config? I’ve seen this happen on some of my bookings and you still lose your seat.

openfly
    Participant

FDOS….even with a different config 747, which only happens in rare circumstances at the last minute, the upper deck is the same. When a manager is honest and tells me exactly what happened I tend to believe them.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

openfly

Believe me, I’ve seen it happen. I also don’t believe that the manager would be able to see the history. But there you go.

travelworld2
    Participant

I must confess I find this whole reallocation of seat issue extraordinary. Granted, a change of aircraft might occur which may result in displacement, but it seems to me that the OP has reserved the seats he had and so that should be the end of it. Absent a change of aircraft rendering the original seat position impossible to grant (a 777 instead of a 747 with an upper deck, say) quite why an airline should choose to move someone from a prebooked seat elsewhere is beyond me- no matter what their status or willingness to pay. Sitting in 2A not 1A is hardly the end of the world and if someone else has booked IA earlier it’s just..well..tough.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls