K-UP Fares

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Potakas
    Participant

I would like to ask some things if someone is aware of this fare,

Is this fare the one that it is shown on the aa.com as the ”Instant Upgrade”?

Also if someone had bought it , did BAEC credited him/her the TP’s and Miles for First class?

The answer on the next question is probably no, as i didn’t find anything but Is this fare available on routes which are not domestic? For example LHR-JFK? And if so, will upgrade you to First or to Business?

Thanks

VintageKrug
    Participant

It is available internationally, but normally not Transatlantically; there are several K-UP routings within the Americas which will indeed give First TPs to British Airways Exec Club members.

LindsayW
    Participant

Not only is there the KUP fare basis, but also YUP. There must be First availability on the flight when booking. Yes, it credits for First to FF program 🙂 [a great way to re-qual cheaply].

Let’s be honest, First on a A330 is certainly miles apart from a 757 *shudder* or similar

AdrianHenryAsia
    Participant

Hi Lindsay – whats the different between KUP and YUP?

Potakas
    Participant

Yes, also reports telling that US domestic First is sometimes worst than a domestic EU on Business.

LindsayW
    Participant

Loyal_BA, price is the major difference and therefore availability. KUP’s and YUP’s on AA book into F, A or P class at the time of making the reservation (all First Class fare bases).

If A or P is not available at the time of booking then the fare will not show on the AA system. There are two exceptions:

– single class aircraft K/YUPPs books directly into Y

– on three class aircraft you’ll find yourself in business class (I class)

*Note sometimes through fares listed under the ‘instant upgrade’ column are consturcted using a mix of different fares. So somtimes you’ll find a single cabin connecting flight, for example, booking into G class. However the through fare in this case will comprise of a KUPP (or YUPP) for the main flight and then a Gxxx fare for the connector.

P.Sepsas, yes truly is dependent on the aircraft type, but given that you have a fair idea what types that ply certain routes, easy to plan accordingly. USA ‘First” is not what we would ever classify as First, it is akin to Business elsewhere

DJA1stClass4sure
    Participant

I love the new K-Up First Class Special fares. These fares can only be purchased on AA.com and once purchased you are put into P inventory. Clearly I don’t understand the thinking behind AA because they are offering Instant Upgrade K-Up fares a month in advance, when I would usually pay the higher price for a Y-Up to Premium in First Class. It is really hit or miss on the date and flight, for instance I was able to book the K up fare between MIA and SFO flying the 777 in First Class P, traveling SFO via LAX from MIA, but when flying MIA to LAX, they will not offer the K-up on the 777 flights, but I was able to book a 767-300 afternoon flight in P First Class on the K-up promotion for $394 USD outbound confirmed MIA/LAX, that aircraft does not fly back to MIA, so I opted for one of the two 777 flights returning to MIA, and I am sure to get an EXP complimentary UPG, I find there are more seats for UPG avail on the 2nd 777 flight returning to MIA Departing LAX at 1415 and ARR MIA at 2230. I also saw many offerings of the K-up between MIA/JFK Premium First Y-up starts at about $625 OW depending on inventory but the K-up First is also starting at the $394 same price as going all the way to LAX. Clearly if you fly AA on a regular basis you need to re-look at all your future bookings, I have booked a new reservation for same dates and same flights, just taking out my Advantage number and then calling Reservations to have them switch me to the confirmed First Class K-up Premium Service and almost every agent on the phone has waived the $150 dollar change fee because these are internet only available fares. So now is a great time to fly First Class confirmed on AA for about half the price and earn extra bonus miles for elite status AAdvantage Membership. Note I clearly find it easier to re-qualify for EXP status every year by booking P class tickets in which you early 1.5 points for every mile flown rather then 0.5 points for economy inventory. Last year AA gave extra 2 extra award incentives for those who flew more the 140,000 points. I was able to grab an 4 additional VIP UPG’s valid thru 2014 and an Admirals Club Membership for an additional year. Take advantage of the K-up First Class P inventory fares while they last. There are many advantages besides confirmed F Class.

Tim2soza
    Participant

For BAEC members, AA instant upgrade fares earn 60 BA tier points per sector and Avois including a cabin bonus. Also, they accrue a better OnBusiness rate too. Be sure to enter your BAEC number into your AA booking. Sadly you can’t book domestic AA flights off the BA site so http://www.aa.com is the place to go. Oneworld partner www site integration not quite there yet.

Instant upgrade will get you a First Class (Equivalent to Club Europe) seat, priority access (Fastrack) but not lounge access. You need BAEC Silver or better for AA lounges or pay $50 for a one day pass. AA lounges are not as good as BA and free food and beverage limited. AA lounges have free wifi. Instant upgrade also means bags can go in the hold without the normal $25 per bag fee.

The seats are 2×2 (737, 757 and MD80) and 39 inch pitch, so better than Club Europe. Some AA domestic 767’s sport the long haul business class wedgie seats with 50 inch pitch. Wifi on a growing number of flights for $12 per day but VOIP (Skype) barred. Drinks free on all flights and food served on flights over 2 hours.

Instant upgrade fare is normally around the semi flex economy fare, but is not itself flexible.

Final tip, if you do a two leg journey, e.g LAX – DFW – ORD instead of LAX – ORD direct, the price is often the same but it is 2x 60 tier points.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls