Just a thought…….

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• SimonRowberry
    Participant

Those of you who have been on here a while will remember a former poster and may, like me, wonder what happened to him.

I saw this in Phnom Penh last week and wondered if he has established a new career direction……./Users/simonrowberry/Desktop/IMG_8003.jpeg

SimonRowberry
    Participant

The photo that was supposed to be with the post……

IMG_8003

PatJordan
    Participant

And a For Sale sign too!!

3 users thanked author for this post.

FrDougal
    Participant

I thought he was heading up IATA now!

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

I had always thought retired on a good pension from British Airways
    OR PERHAPS
    It was Tom all along just adding a little spice to the forum !

christ
    Participant

He was certainly a character!

2 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

As they say, “recollections may vary”.

maxgeorge
    Participant

Acerbic and self-righteously assertive, our champagne pal often reminded me of some of my instructors at Dartmouth.

I thought the equally entertaining Mr FDOS might have been his re-incarnation.

And if his persona was for sale, maybe WW would make another bid.

esselle
    Participant

[postquote quote=1233505]

I wondered if he became Sergeant Major? Same strident, bossy tone.

DannyBoy
    Participant

Can someone please give some background to the aforementioned member for those of us new around here?

cwoodward
    Participant

This forum has always attracted more than its fair share of ‘Characters'(who have one way or another always contributed useful information to the forum along with a few laughs) and long may that continue.

4 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1233505]I thought the equally entertaining Mr FDOS might have been his re-incarnation.[/quote]

FDOS was a very direct poster who I shared several meals with in London. A very nice, intelligent and well travelled person, who does occasionally I understand still lurk in the background. He had a particular interest in Malta, hence his handle… (which originally was DoS…)

Would be great if FDOS came back, even just to clarify the suggestion of maxgeorge. I do recall however, a story he once told me that he had in fact met the person in question.

8 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

Further to Martyns post above

Below A typical post from FDOS_UK – that was reported as inappropriate and is perhaps the reason why he is no longer present on the forum.

Quote:

“I am having some trouble understanding this post.

1 – This is an anonymous forum, the only user I know who uses their own name is ‘Tom Otley’ – I do know that quite a few people have ‘noms des plumes’ that sound real, but are not

2 – I was recently targeted for a series of strong personal attacks by a user who was clearly employing a second handle, a sort of ‘double secret’ anonymous for fans of Animal House – did I feel bullied? Of course not and under the current forum environment, was happy to report the posts to BT and let them decide how to respond (user banned)

Lots of people believe that their opinion is right, that’s life. I used to cross swords regularly with the much missed Mr Michael (RIP, my friend), always in a humorous and graceful way and whilst we never changed each other’s opinion, we had a lot of tongue in cheek fun, which is what it is all about.

Some of the vocal complainers are actually pretty swift to deploy the personal attack – I’m looking at you DavidArnold, in particular, but so what? It washes off like water from a duck’s back.

I don’t know capetonianm, but I am assuming he is a Saffir and having had the good fortune to be awarded some gigs in RSA in the past, am used to the direct style of communication that is often used there. As he kindly said about me, the other day, I enjoy his comments, even when I don’t agree with them and having spent sometime working with airline clients, he would be my ‘go to’ person on here for insights into airline back office processes and systems.

Finally, we all have the option to ignore threads and content we do not like; there is one such thread alive at the moment – I find it utterly boring, but others enjoy it and it is doing no harm to anyone and obviously brightening some people’s days.

Live and let live.

THANKS|”

5 users thanked author for this post.

FDOS
    Participant

Hi everyone, I hope you are all well and enjoying life.

Just for the record

I am not/was not VK

VK morphed into Sergeant Major

Best wishes to existing forum members and new ones from FDOS (for those who do not know, Formerley Disgusted of Swieqi).

SimonRowberry
    Participant

Hi FDOS! Good to see you here again.

Regarding the subject of my original post, VK actually once telephoned me after I had made a post and gave me some valuable information on the particular topic I was asking about. He didn’t seem to be a bad chap at all and told me that he treated the Forum “simply as a bit of fun.”

And by the way, I do use my real name on here!

Regards,

Simon

5 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls