Johannesburg Assistance

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Thanks Home@FL350 – you saved me from starting a similar topic. I am off to JNB for the first time at the end of this month and was going to ask for help from my fellow BT posters.

The above information will be very useful to me. I was looking at the Hilton in Sandton and was wondering if anyone has any experience of that hotel?

If not then I might stay at the Protea at the airport as I can easily have my meetings there and then perhaps take the train to Sandton during the day for a visit and come back in the evening. Is it safe to take the Gautrain at night? Please forgive my ignorance but I prefer to be safe than sorry?

Looking forward to the trip as it is always nice to go somewhere i have not been before.

Have a great weekend.

SimonS1
    Participant

Yes the Gautrain is safe but from memory shuts down fairly early – 9.30ish.

The Hilton is fine but about 10 mins walk from Sandton Square. Bit of a pain as it means a taxi at night.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Thanks for that SimonS1 – I think based on that I will go for the hotel at the airport and use the train to get to Sandton during the day and ensure that I am back before the train shuts down.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Bukhara is great and we regularly go to the one in Cape Town. I’ve eaten once in the Thai place and it’s fine but nothing to write home about. The Butchers Grill serves amazing steaks. You can choose the cut and size you want. Mugg and Bean is very popular for lighter meals, muffins and so on.

The Gautrain is very safe, with armed guards on both the platforms and in the train. The only thing is the exit puts you onto the street on the outside of the shopping centre and it’s a bit of a trek to the Intercon or Michelangelo. I don’t have a problem during the day but would after dark but I believe you can ask for a porter to meet you off the platform.

MrsLuganoPirate
    Participant

I LOVE Bukhara… Good to know there is one in JNB – the one in CPT is excellent but you need to book and now they have a “mini” Bukhara – Haiku (asian fusion tapas style) at the Waterfront! An absolute MUST in CPT.
    As for hotels in JNB, if budget allows, I would rather stay at the intercontental at the airport (or in town). Location is great, just oposite arrivals, and staff exceedingly friendly and caring.

Vistaro
    Participant

So many choices for good food in JNB and area, my favourites – Gillhouse at Atholl (http://www.thegrillhouse.co.za/contact-us/sandton) live Jazz on Thursday or Wombles (www.wombles.co.za/) in Parktown for good old fashioned service, cheap and cheerful Italian Polpetta (http://goo.gl/WcTgJF) but you will probably need to book

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls