Job Inquiry

Back to Forum
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Anonymous

Max1974
    Participant

Pardon the interruption.
    I am a business lawyer considering a change of carreer.

Having the opportunity to travel extensively (frequent, but short, travel periods would be ideal) would be a key criteria in my carreer choice.

This may sound like a silly question for a group of seasoned business travellers like you are, but I am wondering whether you are aware of certain types of carreer that would allow me to take advantage of my legal background and travel as described above, the whole while receiving a annual remuneration in excess of US$300,000.

Thank you for your time

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hey Max, drop one of the noughts and join easy jet as cabin crew. I think BA have filled their slots with some internal shuffling.

Max1974
    Participant

Thanks Marty,
    Each zero is equally important…
    Moreover I would make a very bad flight attendant for various good and
    bad reasons.
    Furthermore it may not be the best way to take advantage of my legal
    background…

Any other idea?

MartynSinclair
    Participant

OK – so your key qualities are:

Lawyer – or – Attorney

Likes travel

Wants to earn $300,000 (or may be add another 0 as well)

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm – how about an office within the Busienss Travel magazine blog, collecting a one $ or one £ from every whinging whining or moaning expense account sales man or women.

If that made you rich in too short a space of time, how about a legal service specializing in travel related issues of an international nature. In this culture of everyone suing everyone else, you could offer a service bases proposition, whereby, you would cover the world in offering ‘PERSONAL’ serivce to those who have suffered from a bout of toy throwing withing the longhaul travel sector.

So, for the sales man who is moaning about the whinging kid in front, tell him how to sue the parents/guardian or airline (maybe all 3) for not only a disturbed nights sleep but also the consequential loss of that missed bonus becase he lost the sale.

For Mr perfect, whose dinner contained a soggy piece of meat, you could act for him in the courts and find somethig else to sue for.

I am sure you could be the typical legal man and go for the jugular each time

………..otherwise try being a fictional writer………..!

Max1974
    Participant

Thanks Marty,

Perhaps my initial post did not convey clearly enough the type of information I am looking for, and I apologize for that.

I am not looking for personal counseling from members of this forum (lawyer, likes to travel… is not enough to make any serious recommendation).

What I would be interested to know, however, is whether some of the members of this forum enjoy a life as described in my initial post, especially if they have a similar background than mine (e.g. legal, not business). If so, i would be greatly interested to know what position such people hold, the industry they work with, the area of the world they cover,etc.

Of course I am not asking anyone to disclose any confidential information in respect of his or her employer, but I hope some will be willing to share some information such as “I am a risk manager working in the oil and gas industry; I worked for 10 years in a law firm, then I moved as in-house lawyer and was promoted two years after to my current position….etc”.

Thank you in advance

MartynSinclair
    Participant

aha – now i see. Its interesting because there are only 2 ways to live this sort of lifestyle. Either you are employed by a company who need a roving ambassador or sales/marketing team OR you create the lifestyle and market. I have in the past been employed by banks and N. American insurance companies, but the travel schedule was very much down to their business model. i.e. London one day, Leeds the next and maybe Frankfurt the next day, via EasyJet. I wanted to expand the marketing so I left and set up a similar business so i could take my services and products to the markets i wanted to visit. I am now in a position 3 years on, where i can pick and choose the markets I go to. I also spent an enourmous amount of time learning how to book tickets in First and Business which in the main cost about half of the publised fares. I have never looked back. I dont have the big expense account but I have accumalated more airmiles than I could ever possibly use and they are still growing, i am travelling at least 1 long haul a month. Isit hard work – well what other job is there where you commute to your work, by having a meal, watching a movie and then grabbing a shuteye, only to be woken for breakfast.

The key for me was choosing my end game and then working backwards.

So in answer to your question about the kind of work for someone with a legal background, whatever your skill set is, find out if and how it can be used in the markets and areas of travel you want to visit.

I actually wasnt being flippant when I sugegsted you mix law with travel related issued. If you are employed, put a busienss plan together and present to your directors or Partners. If you are self employed, research a solution.

Whilst the identity of the people who contribute to this site remain ‘closed’ I think there would be a benefit if somehow the moderator or site administrator could put people in direct touch. I would be more than happy to help you put somnehting in place, but i do not belive that you can acheive this through anonymous posts.

As a side issue, in a very former life, going back 15 years, I was a commerical pilot, not with the airlines but flying for a corporate flight department. I became fed up with it becasue although I was travelling, i was not earning anywhere near what i am earning today. The difference between a pilot and a professional (traveller) is that i decide on my markets and where and when i travel.

Good luck to you Max, if the site administor wants to pass my email address over to you, I would have no issue in you contacting me directly. This site is used by like minded people who like what they do,

Max1974
    Participant

Thanks Marty,
    I agree with you, further e-mails between you and me should be handled privately. I am sure it would be an interesting dialogue. I do not mind either if the administrator wishes to pass my e-mail address over to you.

Best regards,

Max

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Hi Max

Please check the last line of your email, i think that there needs to be an additional word.

BTW, i presume you are in the states, which part?

Martyn

Max1974
    Participant

Martyn, I edited my post, thanks.
    I’m from Canada.

JonathanCohen09
    Participant

Hello Max1974,

I have just seen your thread and think that i might be able to help you. I have 20 yers of experience in helping people with exactly the kind of questions and issues that you outline above.

I would be very happy to help you if I can and would be delighted for you to get in touch with me privately. the site administrator can take this message as my permission for him to let you have my private email address.

I look for ward to hearing from you.

Best regards,

Jonathan

Max1974
    Participant

Thanks Jonathan,

Look forward hearing from you.

Max

Max1974
    Participant

I don’t know if I am allowed to do this but I created a new yahoo account so that Martyn and Jonathan can reach me:

<a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected]

Max1974
    Participant

Martyn and Jonathan,

I look forward hearing from you. Please use the email address set out in my last post.

Best regards,

Max

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls