JFK delays

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

LHRtraveller
    Participant

Flew into JFK last Saturday from LHR on BA and was pleasantly surprise that there was no queue at immigration for once. Then we had a connexion on to terminal 8 on an AA flight to Toronto, flight was delayed by 1 hour due to technical issue, we finally departed the gate at 21:30 only to be told by the captain that we were number 40 for take off, we queue on the taxiway for more than 1:30 minutes.
    Just to say that we are always quick to complain about how LHR is congested, but it is not the only place and certainly not the worst.
    Food for thoughts

Bucksnet
    Participant

BA fly non-stop to Toronto twice a day if you want to save time!

Californian
    Participant

The US air traffic system often comes to a stop in bad weather in both summer and winter. Thunderstorms in the Midwest or East Coast can quickly lead to cancellations in summer as can fog on the West Coast. In winter, snowstorms frequently lead to cancellations. US carriers are quick to cancel in the face of storms in order to recover more quickly. As a result, I avoid transferring domestically in the US as much as possible. I find it more reliable if flying internationally to take an international flight first and change in any of the major hubs outside of the US. While large European hubs have their own challenges, they are more reliable than the US hubs in terms of meeting schedules by a long shot in my opinion.

MichaelLewis
    Participant

That is normal for JFK in bad weather

Edski777
    Participant

My main gripe with JFK is not about some slight congestion on take-off or landing. It is far more when you are inside the many terminal buildings. Old, badly maintained and horrible immigration procedures that take ages. And don’t forget the TSA.
    Congestion is the least of my worries.

LHR is certainly on par with JFK on immigration if you don’t have a UK or EU passport.

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

“Just to say that we are always quick to complain about how LHR is congested, but it is not the only place and certainly not the worst.
    Food for thoughts”

Ah, well Marburg disease is pretty bad, but Anthrax is even worse, so we shouldn’t be too quick to complain about Marburg 😉

DavidGordon10
    Participant

Actually, I’d rather have anthrax, if diagnosed quickly.

JohnPBurnage
    Participant

A simple way to solve all this,especially considering that we are talking about the usa and service.Base the pay these people(customs officers,TSA,etc) earn on TIPS. Basic wage plus tips and then watch them go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Str8Talking
    Participant

Now there’s an idea!

judynagy
    Participant

Good one, John, I’ll be laughing about this for months. Every time I show up at the airport I can amuse myself by watching the individual agents and wondering what kind of tips they’d generate.

Edski777
    Participant

How much should I tip?
    15 to 20% of my ticket price, as restaurant waiters are accustomed to?

I would love to see the faces of people on C or F tickets when they spend thousands of dollars on getting a decent service.

Great idea! ;-))

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls