Jet Airways-Mumbai_Singapore ( New Flight )

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• Anonymous

Moadweeb
    Participant

Jet Airways-9w has recently introduced a second flight from MUM-SIN and SIN-MUM [9W-10 and 9W-09 ] respectively. On their web site the aircraft type stated is a 737. I assume this could either be a 737-800 or 737-900.

Typically, Jet Airways uses these aircraft for domestic flights since they are a single aisle narrow body aircraft comfortable enough for 3-4 hour flight.

I am a bit surprised that they would put this aircraft on a 5:35 HR flight ! Is this normal ? I have flown one of these aircraft from Delhi-Singapore on Jet Airways in Business Class and was it Cramped !! Remember, Delhi-Singapore is a 6 + hour flight !

Is this Jet Airways economizing to or just screwing passengers ? The Delhi-Singapore flight which I took, no IFE and just a reclining seat ( same business class seats as the domestic sector )

Is this normal ?

..Moadweeb

StephenLondon
    Participant

BOM (three letter code for Mumbai) is only 2439 miles from SIN. Many other carriers use 737s for routes that are longer. For example:
    BOS-LAX at 2608 miles
    IAH-ANC at 3264 miles
    LAX-HNL at 2555 miles

The only one with issues due to payload and weather is/was IAH-ANC which sometimes had to stop for fuel.

Even MIA-LAX at 2340 miles is flown often with 737 aircraft, and when I last flew it, the crew were doing a return trip LAX-MIA-LAX same day!

Provided 9W are clear that the aircraft you are buying your ticket for will not have the usual 9W lie-flat bed used on long-haul sectors, then why not use this plane? They are adding capacity probably due to demand, and this is the most economical aircraft to utilise for now.

Plenty of carriers use single aisle aircraft for long trips. In the past, I believe KLM operated non-stop AMS-IAH (just over 5000 miles), but in an all business class configuration. Do NH still operate their all-J class 737 from NRT-DEL? That is 3674 miles, and remember that BA have double daily (‘cept at the weekend) service JFK-LCY on an A318.

SwissExPat
    Participant

I did BKK to BOM last year with 9W in a 737 in J.

At least the seat was a proper business seat in a fixed 2-2 config.

The cabin service was very good. Cabin a bit dated though.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Even longer in a two-class B737 is Lufthansa’s direct service linking Pune (India’s Motown) with Frankfurt.

As I wrote in a recent feature we published on Indian aviation, the flight stops en route in Bucharest for refuelling. It means therefore that Pune-Frankfurt takes 11 hours 10 mins.

Luxair has a flight to Boa Vista (Cape Verde) on a 737-800. Scheduled flight duration: 6 hours 20 minutes. It returns via Sal.

SimonS1
    Participant

I did Frankfurt to Accra on a 737 two weeks ago. 6 hours 50 mins LH flight operated by Privatair.

I was quite impressed – impeccably clean, good food, decent service (plentiful bar) and left on the dot. I would definitely use them again.

The following night I did Accra to Nairobi, 5 hours 40 mins on a 737. Again perfectly acceptable – the flight originated in Monrovia I believe. The only odd thing was I was enjoying a beer at Accra with a mate when we were rounded up in a state of panic by KQ staff and rushed onto the plane whereupon the doors banged shut and we left over 30 mins early…..

TominScotland
    Participant

I see that WestJet are introducing the 737 on a Transatlantic route from Toronto to Dublin via St John’s

“WestJet in Summer 2014 season will be expanding its operation to Europe for the first time, offering Toronto – St. John’s – Dublin service on board Boeing 737-700 aircraft. This route to operate from 15JUN14 to 04OCT14 (from Canada).

WS016 YYZ1715 – 2143YYT2315 – 0700+1DUB 73W D
    WS017 DUB0820 – 0955YYT1125 – 1321YYZ 73W D

WS017 operates from 16JUN14 to 05OCT14′

MartynSinclair
    Participant

A single aisle aircraft for long sectors with 3 – 3 seating can get particularly unpleasant, especially if the toilets are not working….

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls