Jet Airways Economy (short haul)

Back to Forum
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Anonymous

SM55226
    Participant

My wife and our 4 month old baby came yesterday from the US (Newark) to India (Mumbai) on United Airlines – your partner airline.

And, your staff did not allow my wife to carry her baggage for her domestic flight from Mumbai to Indore 9W381 saying that it is overweight. She had 2 pieces of luggage with her that were allowed by United – 23 kg each, 1 per traveler. In fact, they claimed that the allowed baggage limit is only 15 kgs. When I re-checked the e-ticket, it clearly says that the baggage allowance is 20 kg per traveller. For the extra 3kg/bag my wife was asked to pay Rs. 7000 for the bags. This is absolutely outrageous.

The price of her ticket was around Rs. 5000. We could not find a nominal priced ticket to Indore as one complete ticket from the US. Not that its easy to find such tickets from the US.

Do you want people who travel domestically after an international flight to India to shed 3 kilos once they have arrived in India to avoid your baggage fees? Ultimately, she did not pay Jet a dime and gave both her bags to her uncle who had come to see her off. Her baggage will now arrive separately when her uncle comes to Indore by train.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

The problem here seems to be that your were travelling on separate tickets, ie one ticket for UA between EWR and BOM and a separate domestic ticket for 9W between BOM and IDR.

Each ticket forms a separate contract with the airline so as far as 9W is concerned you were not making an international to domestic connection. Rather, you were taking only a simple flight between two domestic points.

Was there a particular reason why you did not fly 9W throughout between EWR and IDR ? I ask, because 9W’s website does quote a through fare for this route.

As for your domestic ticket showing 20 kgs … well that’s either a mistake or your ticket could have been issued before 9W reduced its domestic checked baggage allowance to 15 kgs only a fortnight ago.

If it were the latter, one would think that 9W would honour the 20 kgs allowance.

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industries/article-jet-airways-reduces-free-baggage-allowance-to-15-kg-322017

Moadweeb
    Participant

“Each ticket forms a separate contract with the airline so as far as 9W is concerned you were not making an international to domestic connection. Rather, you were taking only a simple flight between two domestic points. “

I guess this is the most logical reason for your Baggage Weight problem with 9W. Unfortunately, to cut costs, Jet Airways has only recently reduced the baggage allowance to 15 KG.

Not to deviate from this topic but I have been a Jet Airways Platinum Card holder since more than 2-3 years; the level of appreciation /service to their Top Tier Member has dropped faster every year.

If you look at the quantity of food that they serve on Domestic Flights in Cattle class ; I have seen people finish it in 3 bites !!

Asking for an upgrade using your miles or vouchers is harder than winning a lottery, maybe 1 – Billion Chance..

I guess cost optimization has a different meaning to 9w, for international flight West of India, I fly only Emirates !!

Cheers,
    Moadweeb

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls