Its service that counts.. well done CX… well done HKG

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

• MartynSinclair
    Participant

Arriving at BKK for my flight back to Europe.. nothing major, but a host of small gestures that I really miss in Europe (although not all are needed)..

1. check in at BKK, I asked to CX check in lady for my flight number so I could complete the customs form – she just smiled, and said she had already checked and completed the form for me

2. Boarding gate – got the ping – but not an upgrade, only a 2 class aircraft.. Awfully sorry, but the cabin crew were not happy with the cleanliness of the your seat so we have moved you one row back. I looked at the original seat when boarding, cleaner than most European airline seats I fly

3. All the cabin crew were addressing me by my name. Sure, none of will claim it matters, but the entire crew in business class.. I liked it

4. Arriving at HKG, flight connections for the second time in 7 days, EMPTY and managed to get from aircraft to the Pier bar in less than 5 minutes. Smiling staff, only lap top needed to come out… my bag has liquids….. nothing could be easier and by the very polite and pleasant staff.. I just wish HAL came to see how an efficient airport is run or rather an efficient flight connections / security line is run..

No doubt my flight will arrive before flight connections in the T5 satellites are open and it will be back to the typical rude, arrogant gum chewing, barking orders, jobs worth who consider they are securing the world, whilst working to outdated rules and regulations…

But for the next few hours, I will be happily sitting in the Pier, being wined and dined… being looked after by smiling faces….

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=866693]Arriving at BKK for my flight back to Europe.. nothing major, but a host of small gestures that I really miss in Europe (although not all are needed)..

1. check in at BKK, I asked to CX check in lady for my flight number so I could complete the customs form – she just smiled, and said she had already checked and completed the form for me

2. Boarding gate – got the ping – but not an upgrade, only a 2 class aircraft.. Awfully sorry, but the cabin crew were not happy with the cleanliness of the your seat so we have moved you one row back. I looked at the original seat when boarding, cleaner than most European airline seats I fly

3. All the cabin crew were addressing me by my name. Sure, none of will claim it matters, but the entire crew in business class.. I liked it

4. Arriving at HKG, flight connections for the second time in 7 days, EMPTY and managed to get from aircraft to the Pier bar in less than 5 minutes. Smiling staff, only lap top needed to come out… my bag has liquids….. nothing could be easier and by the very polite and pleasant staff.. I just wish HAL came to see how an efficient airport is run or rather an efficient flight connections / security line is run..

No doubt my flight will arrive before flight connections in the T5 satellites are open and it will be back to the typical rude, arrogant gum chewing, barking orders, jobs worth who consider they are securing the world, whilst working to outdated rules and regulations…

But for the next few hours, I will be happily sitting in the Pier, being wined and dined… being looked after by smiling faces….[/quote]

Enjoy Martyn!

stevescoots
    Participant

I was in HKG myself on the 13th Martyn, and in the Pier, one at the bottom of Nathan road as they call it, I always mix up the name of CX many excellent lounges! I had just the same excellent service from CX on my hop over to SGN

maxgeorge
    Participant

Great cabin crew and in flight service, but a customer service brush off when things go awry.

A 7 – SEVEN! – hour delayed departure Jan 13 last LAX-HKG and the begrudged compensation was $200 in CX vouchers for a paying business class customer.

Are they perchance getting advice from Senor Cruz?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

MaxGeorge, what was the cause of the delay and what would you have expected as adequate compensation?

AlanOrton1
    Participant

“Are they perchance getting advice from Senor Cruz?”

Possibly not, as chances are if BA pax endured a 7 hour delay, they would at least potentially have the option of EC261.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Don’t blame them for sticking to their rules outside of the EU since they’re making losses recently (should have bought A380s like most competitors).
    If they keep up the good service I’ll be happy and I’ve yet to see a CX woman in trousers thank heavens!

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=867277](should have bought A380s like most competitors).[/quote]

A380s – much as I love them – just don’t make sense for Cathay (according to a friend of mine who occupies one of the C-suites). Their heavy dependence on cargo and the A380’s relatively low cargo capacity just don’t mix. They have also decided on their flagship routes (eg LHR) to compete on frequency (five flights a day) rather than a low-frequency-high-capacity basis (eg BA with their 1xB777 + 1xA380 approach)

Flightlevel
    Participant

CX have their own cargo ‘planes and they worry more about competition from the ME and China (CX annual report) virtually all of those airlines operate A380s.
    When pax have a choice they choose an A380. I don’t work for Airbus however I make my choice too!

maxgeorge
    Participant

CathayLoyalist, apologies for the delay responding: been on the Quirimbas in Mocambique, and therefore off-line.

The seven hour delayed departure was a missing pilot issue. They had wait for required rest hours to get a replacement.

As Mr Orton says, no EC 261 from the US, so I asked for an upgrade from J to F HKG-LAX on another upcoming CX flight.

Not unreasonable, I would have thought, for a paying business class customer.

Instead, they offered USD100 in limited use CX vouchers.

Another letter to customer service, and I got another USD100 voucher brush off.

Their only practical use for me was for in-flight purchases of unneeded and overpriced items.

I would have thought an F upgrade would have been a better gesture, or at least a USD200 cash refund.

But, as generally agreed, their in-flight service in top notch. And I also use their JNB flights, now with 180, and not angle flat seats, so I’m normally a happy customer.

KSHaggag
    Participant

Well well…………..it breaks my heart to be missing CX service for quite some time !!! I used always to schedule my connections with loooong layovers at HKG airport just to enjoy the company of CX ,its lounges ,its service ..everything !
    The BEST ever crew I had ever had on a flight happen to be with CX !!!
    CX is in my eyes among the very short list of civilized carriers nowadays….they are indeed rare ,quite rare ..

BrotherJim
    Participant

[quote quote=868278]CX have their own cargo ‘planes and they worry more about competition from the ME and China (CX annual report) virtually all of those airlines operate A380s.

When pax have a choice they choose an A380. I don’t work for Airbus however I make my choice too![/quote]

Whilst CX does have a large fleet of cargo aircraft they do also carry a large amount on each passenger flight too.

nevereconomy
    Participant

Always fabulous service from CX – put on SQ in F due to delay – “we know you need to be in SIN for Business in a timely fashion..”
    No timetable (a while back you can guess) in Lounge but when I boarded one handed to me with a note thanking me for my business.
    Still one of the class acts.

Flightlevel
    Participant

Thks – wasn’t going to reply to this until saw my last comment was regarded inappropriate – since its entirely common facts what on earth is inappropriate Mr/Ms anonymouse?
    We all know airlines make money from cargo, main point is that four of the busiest 10 pax routes in the world fly from HKG, additionaĺly world’s biggest route in pax-kms is HKG-LON, had CX bought a few A380s (or B748s) to replace their old B747s they could have competed better and may not have suffered losses vs. competition most of whom operate A380s.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

FLightlevel

Someone probably caught the ‘report’ button, when aiming for the ‘reply’ – they are adjacent and it happens quite a bit, apparently.

There was nothing remotely worthy of reporting in your post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls