It's Cool Dude to Hair Dude day

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• canucklad
    Participant

As our Yankee Doodle cousins head into a new political era across the pond, which will inevitably have an impact on how we do business and generally interact with the good Ol’ US of A,
    I was wondering what would be on peoples wish list or indeed what advice would you have for “The Donald”

Serious and ridiculous both welcome…….

My serious piece of advice would be to temper his gun rhetoric and smell the coffee. How on earth is someone allowed on an airplane with ammunition and weapons? You’d expect that in a dysfunctional ex-soviet state not the leading country of the civilised world..
    My wish list is simple in its extreme, if the rhetoric continues and the divide grows within the US, with the resulting consequences then please, please can Justin Trudeau create thousands of brick and mortar jobs and then send the bill to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue .
    I’ll even provide the stamp for the invoice.

dutchyankee
    Participant

As a dual national I have been toying with the idea of renouncing my US citizenship due to this election. I am still stunned as are so many that this buffoon was able to be elected. It ensures the world will think Americans must be the dumbest or most gullible and naive population on earth. How a man who’s only substance in his speeches is Hate got the White House is beyond me. That said, we are stuck with him, so my points of advice would be:

1) Resign next week. You made your point, you won, now leave.
    2) stay off of Twitter. Grow a backbone and stop lashing out at every criticism.
    3) release your tax returns.
    4) get a new hair dresser.
    5) stop gesturing with your tiny hands, you look like a child.
    6) remember two of your wives are immigrants, only the second one who you cheated with while married to the first is American, it might soften your view of immigrants (doubtful).
    7) stop telling everyone you are smart as no one is buying it. A famous saying goes, ‘ it is better to say nothing and appear ignorant than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!’
    8) move your family as soon as possible out of New York so fifth avenue can return to normal.
    9) grow up
    10) have I already suggested to resign! Please!

There is sooooooo much more to say, but most people, other than John Voight of course, know already!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If Pres Trump leaves office, America will have a bigger problem with VP Pence becoming POTUS

esselle
    Participant

To the comment regarding hairdresser, I would add tailor. Where on earth does he find suits which fit so badly?

openfly
    Participant

The presenter on a quality nightly business programme here in Cape Town announced this week that he reckoned that “Donald Duck would be gone in less than two years” and had placed a sizeable bet on this through a UK betting company!!
    I might join him….

PhilipHart
    Participant

@Admin

I think it would be advisable to close – and indeed delete – this thread. There are far too many strong emotions on both sides of the political divide, which could result in an unnecessarily vicious bitchfight.

There are many, many other sites out there which cater for such “discussions”.

We should try as much as possible to stick to the topics appropriate to the eponymous “Business Traveller”, and exchange ideas, views and opinions which fit comfortably within that orbit.

summerfly
    Participant

PhilpHart,

This topic is very relevant to both Business & Travel, and many Business Travellers will be directly affected by decisions made in the White House. And because of the many threats & irrational statements made by the new president, anxiety is running high across the World.

PhilipHart
    Participant

@summerfly

It is undoubtedly true that decisions taken by POTUS Trump may well effect all those outcomes you describe. If so, then let’s have discussions about those particular topics.

But meanwhile, I think that it behoves us to refrain from personal animus. And for that reason, I recommend that this topic – and any of a similar ilk – be both closed and deleted.

Bath_VIP
    Participant

Martyn,

Completely concur with your point. My wife is a solid democrat but she did say to me that she will now pray for Mr Trump’s health. Our consensus is that ultimately Trump believes in Trump and there are issues where he is capable of making deals with the Democrats and moderate Republicans to outflank the extreme Republicans but if Trump goes before the end of his term then things will get really bad.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

DutchYankee.

That is pretty comprehensive so not much else left to say on the Donald.

Beyond that I am now looking for my next profitable punt after having scored from the Brex**it vote and the determination of our current government to trash the economy. So the bet has to be on how soon before he gets impeached? It won’t be within two years because the GOP controls both houses and they will form the wagons into a circle before countenancing any criticism of Putin’s poodle, err, their man. Which puts this into a three to four year timespan.

And yes, whilst The Donald is a populist demagogue (amongst things), Pence is a wholly unreconstructed, neanderthal conservative.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Successful businesses learn to adapt from changing situations and profit from them and this is what will happen under Trump. Like him or not, he was democratically elected and if we now change the system to get him unelected we risk descending to the level of a third world banana Republic.

He will serve his full term so it’s now time to get used to it and spend time and effort in looking for opportunities rather than waste time on trying to change the system – which won’t happen.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

Lugano Pirate you have crystalised the thread perfectly and as other posters have suggested we move on or as John Bercow would say or shout “Order Order”

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls