Item Left Behind on Lufthansa Flight

Back to Forum

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Arriving in FRA from JNB with Lufthansa, and in Mrs. LP’s hurry to get off the plane as we expected long queues at immigration while we showed our Covid vaccination, location form etc (in the end no queue and no-one asked for anything – just straight through the electronic gate), I managed to leave my Samsung tablet in the seat pocket.

I only realised at security but by then it was too late to go back. I asked in the lounge and of course was directed to a website where I had to fill in a from. To cut a long story short I just received an email saying it was found and giving me the option to collect it in person or have it couriered to me.

I was astounded to see it will cost me €138.59 with sending costs, admin fee, cc fee and vat!

Shipping and Packaging €77.31
    Information (incl. TAX): Shipping fee: 74,- EUR
    Pick-up Airport: 10,- EUR
    Packing charge: 8,- EUR
    Service Administration €10
    Frankfurt Airport Service Fee €25.21
    Sub Total €112.52
    Payment Method Fee €3.94
    19% TAX €22.13
    Total €138.59

This compares with precisely nothing when I did the same thing on an internal flight in South Africa, with JNB then being much busier than Frankfurt was that day. I had it back then in just 40 minutes and for some reason mistakenly – or should that be naively? – thought it would be as fast and efficient at Frankfurt.

Lesson is I guess to double check every seat pocket before getting off and not be rushed by anyone!!!

9 users thanked author for this post.

Giuseppe
    Participant

Dear Lugano Pirate,
    someone has to bear the costs of shipping. In this case, I see no faults by the carrier. All airlines are using third parts to forward items to customers. I personally forgot a jacket on board of an EK flight a couple of years ago and I spent 80 Eur to have it back. Same options: to be collected in person or shipping.

Steven
    Participant

Flight in First from ORD to FRA connecting to EDI. On arrival in FRA I was handed my blue blazer by one of the flight attendants. On arrival in the First Class Terminal, where I had approx 3.5 hr. connection, I discovered that I had been handed the wrong blue blazer (his grandmothers matzo ball soup recipe found in the inside pocket alerted me 🙂 I recall a fellow passenger with a similar blazer across the aisle and my assumption was that we each had been given the wrong item. The staff at the First Terminal tracked the passenger down to find that he had traveled about 45 mins from the airport. They took his blazer and rushed it to his location, exchanged the item, and delivered my blazer to me prior to my departure to EDI. Exceptional service on behalf of the Lufthansa staff and two very happy passengers.

2 users thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

A few years back I arrived home from Singapore and as I went up to my front door I realised that I didn’t have my front door keys. I had no idea where on this journey I might have lost them.

I used our daughter’s copy to get in and had a new set cut.

Ten days later a courier turned up at my front door with my keys. Apparently they had fallen out of my jacket pocket at security. They traced me through the Sentinel Gold tag attached to them. I wasn’t charged anything.

1 user thanked author for this post.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

A few years back I flew in to Luton on EZY. It was a very short trip to meet a customer in Luton, then to the Midlands. I had gathered my bags and placed my passport on the empty seat next to me ready to run to pick up a car. As I approached passport control I realised that my passport was still on the seat where I had left it. Never mind, in those days I had a spare passport so continued to my meeting and returned a few hours later to recover my passport. EZY lost property were confused as to how I was returning to collect my passport, then advised me that they had handed it to Immigration. I wandered up to the Immigration office to claim my passport. The young lady said that she did have my passport, but asked if I had any identification. I told her that I looked remarkably like the photo in the passport that she was holding 🙂

10 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The young lady said that she did have my passport, but asked if I had any identification. I told her that I looked remarkably like the photo in the passport that she was holding 🙂

Reminds me of my bank that called me about a year ago to ask me for my current phone number… I responded that they should record the number they have just used to call me as my current number… call ended!

Have a great weekend everyone….

5 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

Martyn said, “Reminds me of my bank that called me about a year ago…..”

Reminds me of when I phoned my bank in the UK about something from Hong Kong a few years ago. The guy said, “I’ll just do a few security checks. First, what’s your home phone number?” My mind went blank and I shouted out to my wife (in another part of the flat), “What’s our home phone number?” The guy on the phone from the bank immediately said “OK, thank you, goodbye” and rang off. Ooooops……

ASK1945
    Participant

Martyn, GivingupBA

These questions are not as stupid as they sound …………………… if you appreciate that you may be the victims of an attempted scam (I guess Martyn you may have known that). For the scam a computer dials thousands of phone numbers and a scammer only connects with you when you pick up. They may not know the number you are on and as a first hurdle they attempt to get this from you.

Whenever I have received a call such as this, before I answer any questions I say “First we need to go through some security questions so that I can check you are who you say you are”. The genuine caller will tell me to phone back to the bank or credit card company using the number on the back of my card. Scammers ring off immediately.

3 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

ASK1945, thank you for your reply and warning. But no-one called me – I called the bank on a phone number I knew to be valid. The problem was (as I said), I couldn’t remember my home phone number when they asked me! My fault, and I can’t blame the bank for cutting me off, of course.

2 users thanked author for this post.

DannyBoy
    Participant

On the topic of scammers, I strongly advise every watches the Jim Browning youtube channel. This channel exposes scams, explains how these scams work and has led to some scammers being arrested.

https://www.youtube.com/c/JimBrowning

superchris
    Participant

I was on a flight with Mrs SuperChris Qatar to Melbourne about ten years back (row 1, very comfortable), woke up to see my wife nervously fiddling with the side of the seats innards. After some time she sheepishly admitted her watch had dropped down the back of the seat. We spent a few minutes looking after which I said ‘look darling, lets get you a new one it wasnt too expensive’. That didnt seem to placate her and she had to then admit for reasons still unclear to me ten years on, that she had attached her engagement ring to it!

As we were an hour out from landing, Staff had a go involving coat hangers and torches to no luck. After landing the staff were adamant we leave and they will get engineers on and return to us at the carousel – I completely refused and said I will wait. Waited about 30 minutes for an engineer to come onboard to successfully dismantle part of the seat and return said watch and ring.

Got the baggage carousel last (obviously) to find someone had walked off with our luggage which then took a week to get returned.

I always smile now when certain carriers make a very specific announcement about anything dropped into the seats to get help rather than try and retrieve yourself as I think ‘we were partly responsible for that’!

3 users thanked author for this post.

BPP
    Participant

FaroFlyer.. Nice one, a little humour goes a long way!
    BPP

Swissdiver
    Participant

Forgot once my travelling wallet (the one with passport, vaccine certificate, …) in the safe of the hotel in London. When I called, they told me that they will send it to me, before asking whether there were cash in it or not. As it was the case (always a few dollars plus some small notes of various currencies of countries where I travel regularly), they told me it was therefore impossible to send it abroad! So I had to collect it myself in London upon my next trip, at the office of a company I work with where I had asked it to be sent. Thankfully, I have a second passport…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Business Traveller September / October 2021 cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls