ITA Airways will expand eastwards using Emirates and Dubai

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• AMcWhirter
    Participant

* Have started this thread under Alitalia *

News today from Italy is that ITA Airways will be flying daily between Rome and Dubai effective October 27.

(Although this news has been published in Germany it has not yet made the UK)

Tickets are expected to go on sale next week reports Italian media.

This news is significant for two main reasons:

1. Using Dubai and Emirates will allow ITA Airways to offer a huge choice of destinations both in Asia and Australasia. Its current network is limited in that area to just Delhi and Tokyo (accridng to ITA’s website).

2. A separate thread by @cwoodward refers to the Airbus A321XLR being able to fly long-haul. But in this case ITA Airways will be using its A321 neo aircraft for Rome-Dubai. Reports indicate that this A321 will be fitted with long-haul business and premium economy seating (plus regular economy).

Readers can use Google translate to read the news from La Stampa and Germany’s Aviation.de

https://www.lastampa.it/economia/2024/05/31/news/nuovo_volo_roma_dubai_ita_airways-14349786/

Airliners.de also reports that ITA plans a direct Rome-Bangkok service.

https://www.airliners.de/ita-airways-plant-direktverbindungen-dubai-bangkok/74753

3 users thanked author for this post.

BlazeBreeze
    Participant

Hey, just saw this news about ITA Airways starting daily flights between Rome and Dubai from October 27. That’s pretty neat, especially considering the potential for more travel options to Asia and Australasia. Plus, they’re gearing up their A321neo for long-haul with upgraded seating. Tickets should be up for grabs next week, according to Italian media. Looks like ITA Airways is expanding its horizons. Cheers for the heads up!

1 user thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

They should do OK perhaps on the Dubai route even with the narrow body A321 but not beyond.

If you are suggesting ‘BB’ that the ‘neo’ can fly Dubai to AU it is not possible given that the flight time over 14 hours.

The aircraft could make it to to some cities in Asia (not Japan) but why ?

I don’t see any takers for beyond Dubai for the narrow body A321 limited range against the huge amount of nonstop widebody direct options from both Rome and Dubai to Asia and Australasia.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Yes this new generation of narrow-bodies is for a niche market.

FDOS
    Participant

The other thing to remember is cruise speed.

The A321 will probably cruise around mach 0.78, compared to an A350 at 0.85.

Roughly this means about 50 mph difference, so the A321 will not get there as expeditiously as the A350.

AndrewinHK
    Participant

A bit strange to announce Dubai service and the arrangement with Emirates and at the same time announce a service to Bangkok? Surely Emirates has that covered for you if you really want to lean in and use that relationship for Eastbound traffic.

How will Lufthansa react to the arrangement with EK? The EC seems to be taking a tough line on allowing ITA to become part of the A++ transatlantic joint venture, and now ITA are signing deals to push eastbound through DXB. The business case seems less attractive by the day for LH to be involved.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

AndrewinHK – Yes I also thought it strange that ITA was planning Bangkok as per Germany’s Airliners.de

ITA has now posted schedules for Rome-Dubai effective October 27 on its website.

They are:

AZ856 Rome-Dubai 1040-1950

AZ 857 Dubai-Rome 0150-0600

2 users thanked author for this post.

alainboy56
    Participant

AZ have dabbled on this route many times with different timings, different aircraft etc over the years.

I remember taking MD-11s out of DXB for FCO, and before that I had one flight in mid-90s on an A300. (remember them)?, and then there were B763s with Aussie cabin crew girls.
    After this of course, Etihad (in the shape of Mr James Hogan – also an Aussie coincidentally) recklessly threw away US$500 million on AZ, so DXB was abandoned for AUH, and AZ flew A332s to MXP for a year or so.
    Unfortunately throughout this, the prevailing awful Cabin service remained (although with the Aussie girls it did improve for a while), and I’m sure now ITA have not changed.

Personally, I do not think there will be many takers, especially when one can fly the A380 FCO/DXB (EK have 2 x Daily in Summer months) …….. so why would one choose a claustrophobic single aisle tube ………….? I remember taking an AZ A321 from Cairo back to MXP once, and it really was quite awful

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller June 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls