Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

DanielRawson
    Participant

Some advice please. I’m travelling to Istanbul in March to go to an exhibition at the Expo Centre which I believe to be near the main airport:

what is the fastest way from the airport to the centre of Istanbul?
    Does anyone have a favourite hotel?
    Has anyone travelled from this exhibition centre to the centre?

Many thanks in anticipation.

neilsoaj
    Participant

Fastest and safest way is o ask your hotel to send a car. The original Hilton hotel is great near the centre/Taksim Sq or the Kempinski if you want something a little further out

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

First thing to know is, traffic is terrible in Istanbul. Depending on the time of day, it can take 2 hours from IST to Taksim so plan your trip accordingly.
    Radisson Blu by the Bosphoruos is top notch, the same brand, close by IST is adequate and very close to the airport / exhibition centre.

I honestly cannot advise you to stay ‘downtown’ if your exhibition is close to IST…..

The majority of major hotels have their own ‘registered taxis’ and in my experience, standard taxis are a fairly safe bet.
    as a precaution, I generally make cab drivers aware that I have my phone Navigation operating on the journey….. Not that I have has any overcharging issues – just being cautious.

DavidGordon10
    Participant

For me, the best way airport to centre is the Metro – cheap, quite quick, easy to use, plenty of city centre stops.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

For a city of its current and likely future size, Istanbul’s public transport infrastructure has long been an utter shambles which is why traffic is frequently at gridlock and, as SeasonedTraveller observes, journey times to/from Ataturk (IST) [and Sabiha Gokcen (SAW)] can be ridiculous.

Thankfully, public transport is slowly improving and there is a metro line with overground tram link from IST through Sultanahmet across the Golden Horn and onto Beyoglu and beyond. The new trans-Bosphorus train tunnels are now open and the old rail line which runs past IST and into Sirkeci (the old Orient Express terminus) station has been substantially upgraded improving travel between the Asian and European sides. That project is slated for completion this year.

So, if your business is to be at the Expo Centre next to Ataturk, why not the Ramada Kaya Plaza? It has the virtue of being close by.

Beyond that, if you are staying on for any length of time or have business closer to the centre, there are far more interesting hotels in Sultanahmet such as the Empress Zoe (genuinely quirky) or the Spina Armagrandi (reasonably priced and a roof terrace with a view and a half over Europe and Asia). There is also the old prison in Sultanahmet… Beautifully converted, leg-irons no longer obligatory and well up with the Radisons of this world.

If you wish to be closer to the CBD around Taksim & Beyoglu, then the Pera Palace Hotel Jumeirah is an extremely classy place – as one should expect of a veritable Istanbul institution. It is also opposite the Pera Museum which hosts some superb exhibitions and has a delightful 1930s style art deco bar/lounge.

Two more tips: you will be hard pressed to find alcohol at many (any?) restaurants on the Asian side – which is far more conservative and “pious”. If you want a first rate Istanbul guide (albeit it is rather bulky) then “Istanbul: the ultimate guide” by Saffat TONGUC and Pat YALE published by Boyut ISBN:978-975-23-0734-6 is recommended. Such is the quality of the photography and printing, you will be spared having to take too many pictures.

tworoose
    Participant

definitely have the hotel send a driver – the streets in Istanbul are so crazy, even cab drivers often cannot find places – it should only cost 25 euros or so

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

DanielRawson
    Participant

Seasoned traveller,

Wholeheartedly agree. If you look at my past record I always do and I’m afraid on this occasion I’ve let myself down. I did have every intention to do it especially as some replies are so detailed. All I can do is apologise.

Daniel

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

… and it’s wonderful when people apologise on the forum!

As ever, thank you for all your contributions.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

Thank you 🙂

I’m not quite so grumpy this morning………

JonathanHallSmith
    Participant

In and out if IST a lot. Quickest way into town is the Metro, hop on a train change at Zeytinburnu. If you are using IST and not SAW I would stick with old town as the traffic is always bad and public transport IST to Taksim area will mean lots of changes.

I always us Doubletree when there best beds I have found and the breakfast is excellent. Right next to Laleli-university stop on the metro.

Book direct with <a href="mailto:[email protected]“>[email protected] and they will match what you find on the internet. You can tell them I recommended if you like.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls