Istanbul Hotel

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• Anonymous

MrMichael
    Participant

Can anyone recommend where to stay in Istanbul please, for a long weekend break, not business. 4 starish. Will be first time in Istanbul so would like somewhere close to main sites.

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

The newly-opened Soho House is great, otherwise Georges Hotel in Galata. Both conveniently located to explore Istanbul on foot.

navnov11
    Participant

Witt Istanbul, near Taksim is also a nice option

limasalv
    Participant

my favorite is Le Meridien Etiler but is not located close to the downtowm.. A nice and small hotel is Mama Shelter located close to Taksim. In the Asian side in Kadikoy DoubleTree

JC1London
    Participant

I would recommend Marmara Pera, on one of the higher floors preferably. You can walk most places from it, plus it’s good for public transport.

BA744fan
    Participant

I recently had a weekend break with the other half and we stayed at the Sultania which was excellent and a very short walk from the Blue Mosque, Aya Sofia and the Topkapi. Would definitely recommend.

lostsomewhere
    Participant

Raffles & Shangri-La are both amazing, otherwise Double Tree Old Town if you want somewhere more central.

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

A couple of personal recommendations: the Empress Zoe – which is simply unique and a totally different hotel experience to the chains. We’ve also tried out the Armagrandi Spina – not bad at all. Both are in Sultanahmet and close to the tram line into the centre of town and to the newly opened trans-Bosphorus train link. They also both have roof terraces with fantastic views overlooking the Bosphorus.

The other advantage of staying in Sultanahmet is that you are close to a lot of places that are on a first visit(ors) must see list such as the Topkapi palace, the cistern (“From Russia with Love”…), the Grand Bazaar, the Cemberlitas Hamam for the best Turkish bath/steam clean you’ll ever have. Then there is the Blue Mosque, some very good carpet shops and… Oh and don’t forget to try out Mehmet Effendi coffee shop down by the Spice Bazaar and Hamdi’s Restaurant overlooking the Golden Horn. One other word of advice: have sufficient luggage allowance for the extra bag you will invariably have to buy locally to bring back all your shopping. If your other half likes pashmina’s or any kind of textiles, then this is the place. Be prepared to haggle hard and to walk away; it’s the way that business is done in Turkey.

If you want a first rate Istanbul guide (albeit it is rather bulky) then “Istanbul: the ultimate guide” by Saffat TONGUC and Pat YALE published by Boyut ISBN:978-975-23-0734-6 is recommended. Such is the quality of the photography and printing, you will be spared having to take too many pictures. We bought this at the bookshop immediately opposite the Sultanahmet tram stop along Divan Yolu Cadesi.

Enjoy! Once you’ve been, you’ll keep wanting to head back.

IstanbulWarrior
    Participant

+1 on Anthony’s book recommendation, Saffet Tonguc is one of the most knowledgeable guides there is in Turkey. If budget permits, I would highly recommend hiring him for a day to show you around give you more in-depth explanations of what you are seeing. His number is +90 532 233 3828

MrMichael
    Participant

Many thanks all for the tips, especially AnthonyDunn for a most comprehensive response. Why would I need a guide book when I have you? 😉

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

@ MrMichael – 03/08/2015 13:29 BST

Have a superb time there. We keep going back because Istanbul has comprehensively got under our skin – in the nicest possible way!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls