Istanbul and ISIS

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

• Anonymous

social_rover
    Participant

I am flying to Istanbul in july and am a little bit concerned regarding the ISIS militants situation.

Can anyone please tell me if I will be safe. I have both American and Spanish Passport, which one should I use?

LuganoPirate
    Participant

In today’s climate I think you are as safe (or unsafe) in Istanbul as you are anywhere else. We’ve seen terrorist attacks in Grenoble, Kuwait and Tunisia today but I would still go to Grenoble if I had reason to.

As to passport, I don’t think they check the nationalities of those around them before going on a suicide mission so it doesn’t make a lot of difference.

Sorry if i sound cynical, I don’t mean to but it’s just a fact today and I don’t think anyone can tell you if you will be safe or not. Having said that, I’m sure you will be safe but if you are that worried, perhaps it’s best not to go.

social_rover
    Participant

I am more worried because of all the stories. I have traveled the whole western hemisphere and europe. I have never been to Asia and knowing that syria is not to far away is somewhat uncomfortable.

I am sure I will be fine. perhaps the media is exaggerating.

Thanks for your insight.

ImissConcorde
    Participant

You could be knocked down crossing the road!

PeterCoultas
    Participant

social_rover:
    Don’t worry – extremist muslims are not very dangerous, just very nasty.
    Their efforts in the USA are piffling in comparison with americans efforts killing one another, efforts in europe small in comparison with road deaths

They are totally incompetent as they need equipment or help from the west before they do anything seriously disruptive to society at large – even in the twin tower disaster they needed usa know how.

They merely illustrate how useless they are – how can you fail to blow up a gas plant – so they take out their irritation on some poor plant manager!

Really random bad luck is more dangerous for you!

BEYbrit
    Participant

As a resident of Beirut, I would say that Istanbul really isn’t a place to be worried about visiting. Unless you are averse to having a lovely time. And kebabs.

social_rover
    Participant

BEYbrit I am also going to beybrit in October. I hear it is a nice place but once again just somewhat concerned with the medias post.

TheRealBabushka
    Participant

@social_rover

Wow! Are you for real??? You don’t happen to be a Fox News follower are you?

social_rover
    Participant

Gentlemen I am only a 19 actor/travel blogger and there fore I have these concerns. No I do not watch fox lol. This is why I am curious

canucklad
    Participant

My advice social_rover……….
    If you are that worried about heading to Istanbul, because of the threat of these degenerate cultists, then change your holiday plans and head to Glasgow. After all its the city where these lunatic “can’t get a woman “losers are feared off….After all what other cities citizens would beat the s**t out of an attacking terrorist already in flames.

You also have the added advantage that if you personally survive your stay in Glasgow,you’ll be brave enough to holiday in Mogadishu next year,never mind Istanbul. : )

LuganoPirate
    Participant

Buy a good insurance policy then you’ll have nothing to worry about!

Seriously though, since when did a19 year old worry about such things? My worries at 19 were where can I get a good drink, find a nice girl and a decent place to sleep.

Mind you, I suppose the world has changed a bit since I was 19!

social_rover
    Participant

Well I must say I am a very fortunate 19 year old and thanks to my career I am able to travel and live a luxurious life.

As for the girl, she’s waiting for me there ???? So that concern is out of the way

MartynSinclair
    Participant

@TheRealBabushka – read the Iberia 330 thread and you find an interesting weblink..

jjlasne
    Participant

Europe IS the Western Hemisphere.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls