Issues with other models

Back to Forum
Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

[quote quote=951246]Visit the Aviation Herald website, to see records of accidents/incidents with all types of passenger aircraft. For anyone not familiar, comments are invited on each event page. Most are very knowledgeable; others are amateurs who should keep quiet. Makes interesting reading though![/quote]

Absolutely, a great website and I send Simon a small contribution each year. I also paid for and downloaded the app.
    However, if you’re really nervous about flying it’s maybe best not too look at it!

1 user thanked author for this post.

BrotherJim
    Participant

[quote quote=952734]I no it’s incredibly simplistic, but actually simple solutions tend to be the best…..

The airliners that we are pampered on, are basically supped up Cessna’s

In their wisdom Airbus and now Boeing have shifted the skill of pilots from “aviator “ to “software analyst “

in much the same way as drivers are becoming increasingly frustrated with modern cars and their seemingly unrelated trivial issues stopping you simply driving your car from A to B .

Wouldn’t you just love a switch that turns the computer off and reverts to its fundamental mechanics allowing you to simply drive.[/quote]

Problem of course with simply driving a plane is that is more risky and prone to fault than a computer system that may at times have issues.

The key for modern professional aviators is understanding the systems that fly their plane and what to do if there are issues with those systems. This of course is one of the keys with the 737Max issue. The MCAS system was basically kept secret from the pilots and so too processes to counter any failure.

The other difference between the A330 and the 737Max issues that have been discussed here is the system that controlled the A330 is totally integral to the operation of the aircraft owing to the A330 being fully fly by wire. The MCAS system on the other hand is basically a standalone bolt on system designed to counter a design limitation in the 737Max causes by the Max basically exceeding the design limitations of the model. In otherworldly attempting to get it to do something it probably shouldn’t be doing. And of course making it fly like the 737NG family so that pilots didn’t need any major training.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AFlyingDutchman
    Participant

Can someone please explain to me what the issue is with the Rolls Royce engines on the 787, and why this issue is still a problem for so many carriers? What is the problem, and why can’t Rolls Royce find a fix for this.

IanFromHKG
    Participant

[quote quote=953341]Can someone please explain to me what the issue is with the Rolls Royce engines on the 787, and why this issue is still a problem for so many carriers? What is the problem, and why can’t Rolls Royce find a fix for this.[/quote]

In brief, the problem centres on a combination of blade design and blade coatings. RR have already produced a fix for the Package C resulting from a combination of blade design and new coatings. The fix for the Package B and -TEN engines is expected by the end of the year. RR say that they expect the number of grounded planes to be in single digits by the end of the year. The fix is expected to be rolled out to all engines in service by 2022 (bear in mind that most of the problems are of excessive wear, so most of the the engines can still be used but with a shorter maintenance cycle).

2 users thanked author for this post.

transtraxman
    Participant

This is a new one for me…..
    “Center Of Gravity Concerns Lead To Lufthansa Pulling Last Economy Row On A320neo”, (Simple Flying 11-9-19)

Center Of Gravity Concerns Lead To Lufthansa Pulling Last Economy Row On A320neo

………….so now you know why the last row is left free on your “full” flight.

This is also of importance.

“Federal Aviation Administration Considers Calling For Airbus A220 Engine Checks” (Simple Flying 11-9-19)

Federal Aviation Administration Considers Calling For Airbus A220 Engine Checks

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls