Issues with other models

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)

• transtraxman
    Participant

Two incidents have been reported yesterday and today in Simple Flying.

“HK Express Airbus A321 Involved In Engine Shutdown”.
    An A321 en route from Hong Kong to Phuket had to divert to Da Nang and land on one engine.

https://simpleflying.com/hk-express-engine-shutdown/”

“Airbus A350 Bug: Some Planes Need To Be Turned Off Every 149 Hours”.
    This applies to some A350-900 models which need a patch, known since 2017, which not all airlines have applied.

Airbus A350 Bug: Some Planes Need To Be Turned Off Every 149 Hours

The last paragraph is particularly important.
    “You’d think that the correct course of action would be to get the mods installed. However, for airlines, a plane on the ground is losing them money. As such, many operators are choosing to continue with the ‘off and on again’ process rather than take their A350 out of service for the update to take place.”

2 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

A350
    The issue is only applicable to aircraft produced in 2016 or earlier i.e. not many and 90% of them have the patch that fixes the issue.

If no patch the fix is to simply turn the power to the aircraft off and on again before 150 hours elapse. If this was not done some systems would not function correctly
    All reputable carriers would have installed the patch long ago.

THE issue occurs if airlines leave the power connected to the electronic systems when the aircraft is parked in order to make maintenance easier and the issue occurred only in this unusual situation.
    Aircraft produced from late 2016 forward do not have this issue.

A321 shut-down referred to above is nothing that does not happen to all aircraft types and operators from time to time and of course the fault is with the engine not the aircraft.
    Nothing to see here (and I am wondering why ‘transtaxman’ feels that such an everyday occurrence is worthy of a mention) – move along

alanred13
    Participant

[quote quote=950988]fault is with the engine not the aircraft[/quote]

Oh that’s ok then

transtraxman
    Participant

I tend to think that after the B737 Max incidents and the problems with the Trent engine it is probably better if the users are more aware of all incidents that occur. You might call that overkill, I just call it being aware.

The two incidents I mentioned earlier are explained in the articles connected by the links. I think it superfluous to repeat what others have gone to great lengths to find out. Moreover, if you are not interested you do not have to read through a load of bunff, but just get the general picture.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Inquisitive
    Participant

Trying to find fault with airbus will not exonerate Boeing’s mistakes or liabilities in the Max case – based on news reports their CEO already accepted that Boeing made a mistake.

We can criticise EU for too much regulation but I believe many EU rules led to a safer society and that includes aviation sector as well. Even the EU261 is great achievement that USA need to copy.

alanred13
    Participant

[quote quote=951004]Trying to find fault with airbus will not exonerate Boeing’s mistakes or liabilities in the Max case[/quote]

I can’t see a reference to Boeing anywhere in these articles. transtraxman just put up links to two interesting articles which I appreciate.

1 user thanked author for this post.

BrotherJim
    Participant

[quote quote=951009]

Trying to find fault with airbus will not exonerate Boeing’s mistakes or liabilities in the Max case

I can’t see a reference to Boeing anywhere in these articles. transtraxman just put up links to two interesting articles which I appreciate.[/quote]

Whilst Boeing may not be specifically mentioned, the title and the overall tone of the post infers a comparision to the 737MAX issues.

cwoodward
    Participant

Transtaxmans initial post to me points to a significant degree prejudice against Airbus.

It makes a significant point of the inflight engine shut down of an Airbus but makes no mention what-so-ever of a Boeing engine shut down in flight on the same day at San Francisco or a Swiss Bombardier near Paris.
    As mentioned above engine shut-downs inflight happen every day.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=951004]We can criticise EU for too much regulation but I believe many EU rules led to a safer society and that includes aviation sector as well.[/quote]

You’re right, however I’m a great believer that Newtons theory of motion can be applied to most things in life , a sort of scientific approach to Karma

On one side you’ve got Boeing . A company under pressure to perform in an increasingly competitive market.
    On the other side you’ve got Airbus. A company that at superficial level is competing directly with its greatest rival, under the same constraints .

Yet, dig deeper and you find an advantage that Boeing doesn’t have
    Could it be that Boeings disadvantage , is the reason they embraced a strategy that has turned out to be fatally flawed ?

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Visit the Aviation Herald website, to see records of accidents/incidents with all types of passenger aircraft. For anyone not familiar, comments are invited on each event page. Most are very knowledgeable; others are amateurs who should keep quiet. Makes interesting reading though!

K1ngston
    Participant

[quote quote=951199]

We can criticise EU for too much regulation but I believe many EU rules led to a safer society and that includes aviation sector as well.

You’re right, however I’m a great believer that Newtons theory of motion can be applied to most things in life , a sort of scientific approach to Karma

On one side you’ve got Boeing . A company under pressure to perform in an increasingly competitive market.

On the other side you’ve got Airbus. A company that at superficial level is competing directly with its greatest rival, under the same constraints .

Yet, dig deeper and you find an advantage that Boeing doesn’t have

Could it be that Boeings disadvantage , is the reason they embraced a strategy that has turned out to be fatally flawed ?[/quote]

Hi Canucklad, thanks for your post, could you be more specific on what you meant about the constraints Boeing have over Airbus? Not from an argumentative perspective more because I genuinely dont know? Thanks!

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=951330]could you be more specific on what you meant about the constraints Boeing have over Airbus[/quote]

Boeing has to answer to the stock market, their performance , and by immediate extension their executives are measured in this mental capitalist model of increased YOY profit growth . An unsustainable model that’s akin to continually stretching an elastic band , eventually it’ll snap with the companies having to deal with the consequences.

Airbus on paper seem to be a conglomerate of various companies that are expected to perform under the same mad rules that apply to Boeing, i.e. being a listed company and supposedly answerable to shareholders. And that’s were the similarity ends.
    In actual fact Airbus has a definite advantage because its more of a political machine than a corporate machine , 25% o f it being Franco German government owned.

In corporate performance a 25% leeway is a gap you can’t compete with !!

alainboy56
    Participant

I have mentioned this once or even twice before in other threads, but as a child I always remember my father, (an FEO on Britannia’s VC-10’s and D10-30’s for BOAC/BA) saying that it was well known in the aviator’s circle, that US approvals/maintenance and associated activities cut corners to save money. I remember him repeating this when engines began falling off DC-10’s in the 70’s/80’s. so the stories/histrionics vis-a-vis Boeing’s latest problems are of no surprise to me. It is, as some contributors mention here, perhaps far more prevalent in US than in EU which is perhaps a tad over-regulated. But nothing will really change and Boeing will bounce back next year.

With regard to engine problems either on a daily shutdown basis or even overall when discussing for example the RR defect problems which have lasted over 2 years now, I read an article just this week on the history of BA and from a personal point of view of a 40 year veteran of the airline, and there was a reminder of the early problems with the B747-136’s and their P&W JT9D engines which were regularly having problems and needed to be shutdown in flight. Again an anecdote my father used to repeat jokingly was that B747 flight crews in those days did as much 3-engine flying as he did on the leased DC-10-30s from ANZ.

However the point is that, have we forgotten these previous new engine design faults and their reliability? It has after all often occurred in the past 50 years.

philsquares
    Participant

Just so everyone doesn’t think Boeing has the market cornered on aircraft, both the 350/321NEO/320NEO all have issues.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/a320neo-also-potentially-vulnerable-to-pitch-up-scen-460046/

Personally, I think if Boeing had issued loading restrictions like Airbus did neither accident would have happened. But that is said with 20/20 hindsight.

transtraxman
    Participant

Pitch problems with the A320 family ………….

“Airbus A321neo Pitch Will Be Fixed With Software Update” (Simple Flying 20-7-19)

Airbus A321neo Pitch Will Be Fixed With Software Update

“Pitch Problem On Second Airbus A320 Family Aircraft” (Simple Flying 6-8-19)

Pitch Problem On Second Airbus A320 Family Aircraft

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 35 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls