Is Turkish Airlines Endangering ALL of Us?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Looks like the formation of an accident chain, but fortunately the holes in the cheese didn’t all line up.

VintageKrug
    Participant

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Dreadful?

Perhaps it offends your bourgeois tastes, but I can see it attracting the attention of a lot of pax.

Interestingly, they separate the serious input and the larking about in the wrong way.

I’m not a big fan of BGT, X Factor and other assorted dumbed down TV shows, but they do get the viewing numbers.

Ergo, I think this video is ok.

Binman62
    Participant

Have np concerns about the safety video and NZ recently tried something different to general aclaim.
    I wonder how many of the Man U stars have every actually flown on TK or would be allowed to given the title of this discussion.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

Binman

According to the Man Utd website, TK transports their team and officials for Champions League matches.

http://www.manutd.com/en/Club/Sponsors.aspx?sponsorid={3ECCFFEB-094A-4BC3-B558-338C581BA2EE}

transtraxman
    Participant

Binman62
    I would remind you that Turkish Airlines made this video because they are sponsors of Manchester United and I presume the club travels to its away games on the airline. (Turkish Airlines is also a sponsor of FC Barcelona who traveled to/from the match at Wembley on the airline last week).
    The video itself is no worse than other efforts to make people pay attention. It will lose its luster when its novelty value has worn off to be replaced by something else. In the meantime some lives might well have been saved by it.

VintageKrug
    Participant

More woes for Turkish, as a plane skids off the runway:

http://www.avherald.com/h?article=44246891&opt=0

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

Now you know what Turkish Delight is!!!

AF also had a plane skidded off the runway and with no casulity!

Bucksnet
    Participant

Only 93 people on board an A340, so hardly a profitable flight.

Does anyone have any details on load factors and profitability for TK overall?

Maybe they are cutting corners because of a dire cash situation.

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

It is not just Turkish who have near disasters

http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2010/09/02/346898/ba-passengers-tried-to-halt-777-take-off-after-taxiing.html

The above was a very serious incident.

Posted for balance. I personally do not like TK, but am sick of Vintage Krug’s ill informed vendetta.

VK, to make it clear, you have neither the training nor experience to judge an airline’s safety record.

Scandinavian
    Participant

Turkish is making money although 2010 did show a drop in profitability levels:

http://atwonline.com/airline-finance-data/news/turkish-airlines-2010-profit-down-48-0324

Impossible to comment directly about TK’s safety levels but any airline joining one of the three alliances undergoes intensive safety audits prior to joining. There is no way any of the incumbent airlines would let in an airline where there is known to be serious flaws in operating and safety procedures. Such audits are also generally a prerequisite to any codeshare agreement. I would therefore assume, for example, that Lufthansa is happy with TK’s overall safety and operational performance.

Also one cannot comment on an airline’s performance judging by the loads from one flight. Certain routes have for suffer from seasonality e.g. Northern Europe to Thailand has extremely low demand in late spring whereas return flights are generally full! This could have been the case with this TK operation to Mumbai.

VintageKrug
    Participant

Scary:

One quote from a captain:

“It is a dangerous company. I have never in my time as a pilot sitting next to a mate who was incompetent and just let the stick because there was nothing he could not handle. But I have now” says one pilot.

http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/471438-foreign-pilots-warn-about-turkish-airline-danish-news-paper-politikken.html

LeTigre
    Participant

This is all quite sensationalist.

All pilots make errors. Some aren’t trained properly. Some aren’t even pilots.

Unless a plane has actually crashed/nearly crashed on as many occasions as others would have us believe, I refuse to have faith in the independence of such reports. Leveraging this for marketing is also bad taste in the extreme.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls