Is this the way to increase confidence in flying again ?

Back to Forum
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

• DerekVH
    Participant

[postquote quote=1178185]

The obese, the drug users, the smokers and the drunks are not putting my partner and friends working in the NHS at risk when they attend for treatment.

6 users thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

Presumably your partner and friends working in the NHS do not mix with other households and never go to the supermarket or use public transport?

Greg
    Participant

You, Whore, brought up the subject, and I quote “No country has proven masks are effective methods of preventing new variants from spreading through the society.”

I just happened to correct you and say that EVERY country in the world has proven masks are effective methods of preventing new variants from spreading through the society, otherwise medical staff would not wear them. It is blatantly obvious that they do.

LaWhore
    Participant

[postquote quote=1181195]

Not sure the 40,000 people who got infected with COVID whilst staying at UK hospitals for other reasons would agree.

Greg
    Participant

I guess there is no way to find out if they were wearing masks, before they moved to ventilators. We have moved on from my original post Whore, so lets agree to disagree. I believe masks save lives, You don’t. End of story.

As somebody said on LBC back in early 2020. if you don’t like wearing a mask, you are NOT going to like being on a ventilator.

1 user thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

I don’t agree to disagree. I disagree to disagree.

It’s not about a belief, let’s engage in a discussion of facts and not opinions.

Masks do not save lives as evidenced by 11,600 people who have died in UK hospitals as a result of an infection caught post admission.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

It’s a strange place for the message to come from – the International Air Transport Association – but doesn’t seem to have plane-specific data behind it.

Omicron at Least Doubles Risk of Getting Infected on a Plane

Interesting remarks by David Powell, physician and medical adviser to IATA, about the wearing of masks on board…

2 users thanked author for this post.

GivingupBA
    Participant

LaWhore said, “Masks do not save lives as evidenced by 11,600 people who have died in UK hospitals as a result of an infection caught post admission.”

My comment on that is – that is an incorrect and unacceptable use of the word “evidence” (I have spent decades in my career working with and using data and evidence).

K1ngston
    Participant

Lets try and bring the subject back on point! Interesting to read all the evidence that is coming from 2 studies done in the UK, alongside the exhaustive study in South Africa, that this variant ( I wont even name the bloody thing) is up to 75% less chance of a) being hospitalised and b) getting serious illness from so we are beginning to see statistics and evidence now!

So my question is why has there been such an over reaction from Governments all over the world to this “strain”? Is this a backlash from lack of effort after Delta? Is it really that the world doesn’t know how to get to grips with living with the virus?

I know there are far brighter people than me on this site, I tend to say things from the heart, a number of you here will atest to that in real life when we have met, so my question is this not the worlds (literally) over reaction to something and this is not the way to get to a state of “living with the virus” going forward?

I read a really interesting article here today saying that since the Government called “the variant” the take up of vaccination in those who to this point have chosen not to get vaccinated has been increasing from 84% to 89% which in a small country such as Singapore is great, so that is a positive, but lets be honest if you are not vaccinated by now (unless you have health reasons not to do so) you deserve everything that’s coming your way and a new variant wont change your mind until you are crying out on your hospital bed.

8 users thanked author for this post.

LaWhore
    Participant

The so called overreaction is a carefully constructed PR campaign (part of a long standing Project Fear) to push 3rd dose of the vaccine onto the general population.

Big Pharma must be very happy with last year’s performance and the well timed discovery of the Delta variant which convinced most governments to purchase large quantities of the vaccines.

The wheel is now spinning itself – in few months time we will have another panic followed by another big scale procurement of the vaccines and yet another PR campaign to jab everybody despite the mortality being less than 1%. Suddenly, a new data will contradict the data from a month before and restrictions will be lifted once again.

Nothing, throughout the human history, sold better than good old panic.

3 users thanked author for this post.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I question the effectiveness of these tests. Mrs. LP was tested negative. The day she was due to leave ((36 hours after the test) she had tea with a friend who was fine and went down with COVID the next day. She then became infected though it only manifested 3 days after she arrived and went on to infect us all!!!

My biggest objection though is the cost. The actual kit cost less than £ 3 so they’re making a very good markup. Here in South Africa the government has mandated the cost be fixed at R.500 (£ 25) for the PCR and R. 250 for the rapid one at any public testing facility. I think that’s fair. Our hotel offered on site testing for the double – R. 1,000, but you didn’t have to leave the hotel and queue somewhere so fair enough.

2 users thanked author for this post.

MarkCymru
    Participant

My issue isn’t the plane: airflow and filtration systems keep that risk pretty low; it’s the airport. I’d only be willing to spend another four hours there if everyone (passengers, staff, visitors) had also had a same-day PCR or antigen test. I spent 75 minutes in an outbound passport queue at CDG last week. There was no social distancing and lots of people were wearing their masks improperly. Most of my queue mates were going to Kinshasa and I’m not sure whether the DRC requires testing prior to arrival. So, in practice, no. I’d rather minimise time at the airport and only fly to places that require very recent PCR or antigen tests

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

I think we have exhausted this one so I’m going to close it.
    Sorry if you had more to say, but people are reporting every other post and then starting new forum threads saying how outraged they are by it.
    Happy Christmas everyone.
    Tom

10 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
This topic is marked as closed to new replies, however your posting capabilities still allow you to do so.
The topic ‘Is this the way to increase confidence in flying again ?’ is closed to new replies.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls