Is this the future of Airport Searching procedures?

Back to Forum
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• PatJordan
    Participant

This story was in today’s “Times”:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/airport-liquids-hand-luggage-bag-end-100ml-rule-w9z7x7lfk

Could this really mean shorter queues for passengers??

Will airport management pass the additional costs to passengers??

Only time will tell.

Safe travels,

Pat

JD_84
    Participant

Heathrow have been trialing the new CT scanners for some time, although you have still had to take liquids and laptops out of your bag. That seems to be changing as didnt have to remove anything from my bag in T2 last week.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Tom Otley
    Keymaster

Yes, same here.

The article doesn’t say, but seems to imply someone could have several bottles of, say, 1 litre, in their hand luggage.

The existing rule requires it to be small amounts (under 100ml) and in a clear plastic bag.

What I wonder is – while it can detect the liquids in your bag, how can it know if these larger bottles that are in your hand luggage contain explosives or not?

2 users thanked author for this post.

JD_84
    Participant

I would imagine that the tech is there to support that, think of all of the bottles of liquids larger than 100ml that have to be screened for shops and restaurants airside already on a daily basis.

The issue is that 100ml and 1l total limit is a flawed anyway, if someone wanted to get something through security larger than 100ml it can be split across multiple PAX. Plus would be wrongdoers have plenty of opportunity to purchase large amounts of highly flammable liquids post security in handy 1 litre bottles in duty free shops already. Yes i know it is a deterrent, and there to make it more complicated and easier to spot things that aren’t right, but it doesn’t feel very scientific.

flyingdutchman1
    Participant

At Amsterdam Schiphol Airport they got new equipment end of 2019 and fluids and laptops do not have to be taken out of handlugguage anymore, but the queues are longer then ever !

MartynSinclair
    Participant

[quote quote=1246881]At Amsterdam Schiphol Airport they got new equipment end of 2019 and fluids and laptops do not have to be taken out of handlugguage anymore, but the queues are longer then ever ![/quote]

If AMS are not requesting pax to remove liquid and computers, why are the q’s so long? What is causing the hold ups?

Jimmer7
    Participant

The problems at AMS are simple, passenger numbers are too high for the number of staff available to process the screening.

I was travelling in and out of AMS at the beginning of the year every other week and it was getting worse every time I departed (arrivals never seemed to bad) by April I gave up and changed to RTM instead as I could fly from LCY. The last time I departed AMS the queues were about an hour or more and that was before the crazy summer passenger numbers. Even then they only had a 30-40% of the machines open. However it has always depended on which satellite terminal you departed from, those on EasyJet typically enjoyed less of a wait than anyone on KLM or other international airlines because you use a different part of the terminal.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls