Is this SOP for British Airways? If not, it was a pleasant surprise.

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Last Friday, I flew back CW on BA from SCL to LHR: the longest single flight on BA’s schedule at over 14 hours. It’s a good service.

I still reckon that when BA’s cabin crew are on form, they’re excellent. Genuinely world class. That said, I have experienced them when they’re not although (to be fair) not for the last couple of years as BA does seem to be upping its game.

Anyway, after a stiff belt of pre-dinner Tanqueray and an excellent Spanish Chardonnay with the dinner, I asked for a glass of port with the cheese and told the young guy serving dinner that as this particular flight would bring me enough TPs to keep me on Gold for another year, a glass of champagne would be nice as well. He laughed out loud, said ‘Well done’, and brought it.

Slept well, and as breakfast was brought, I fumbled for my table and out fell a sealed envelope. The smiling (female) crew member watched me open it and inside was a card with a hand-written message saying (I paraphrase but slightly): “Well done, Mr Tired Old Hack! Another year on Gold….” plus some good wishes, signed by the cabin crew (or at least some of them). They must have slipped it behind my table while I was asleep.

What a nice touch. Never happened before, so I’d guess it was spontaneous. Unless someone else has had this?

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I had a similar “treat” from CX about 5 years ago returning to Singapore via HKG with my daughter after the UK university run. The Inflight Services Manager tapped me on the shoulder and asked if I was aware that I had just achieved the 3 million miles travelled milestone with CX and produced a large card signed by flight deck and cabin crew alike. A nice touch as was the Champagne that followed. It cost nothing yet it leaves a long feeling of appreciation

1 user thanked author for this post.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

[quote quote=947550]It cost nothing yet it leaves a long feeling of appreciation[/quote]

Yes, absolutely.

Swissdiver
    Participant

Gold-2K
    Participant

I’ve never had that from BA, but on a recent AA flight internal USA, I was handed a note by the cabin crew thanking me as a “Concierge Key equivalent” (Gold Guest List) for choosing to spend my precious time with American.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

Thanks for that. So it looks like an impromptu gesture by the cabin staff rather than SOP. Well, I was really touched and will remember it for a very long time.

canucklad
    Participant

[quote quote=947767]So it looks like an impromptu gesture by the cabin staff rather than SOP.[/quote]

Hi TOH2
    The irony is, that the off the cuff actions taken by the crew cost BA nothing financially, yet deliver a customer experience that we as human beings crave, and at an intellectual level need to support our mental wellbeing.

However, the problem with these “impromptu “actions is that it gives the management at certain corporations the heebee geebies for various reasons .

And I suspect Cruz’s top down style at BA fall in to this category . BA management will get very nervous when employees start to use their initiative to deliver memorable customer service moments.

Primarily because if it continues, and becomes the norm , then the power shifts from the telling level to the doing level.

Great companies tend to be those that genuinely and sincerely allow empowerment, rather than those who pay it lip service by corporate mantra.

1 user thanked author for this post.

CathayLoyalist2
    Participant

I think it was Steve Jobs who said ” We should not be hiring people and telling them what to do, we should be hiring great people and getting them to tell us what to do”. I´ve sent Alex Cruz the link to the quote!!

NorskSaint
    Participant

I recently flew OSL/LHR in Econ and on asking the Services Manager for an extra milk came back with milk (for my tea) and a small bottle of champagne as congratulations in recently
    making silver again.

As you say, completely unexpected and the first time in 6-7yrs of flying BA that it happened.

As CathayLoyalist says, it leaves a very long good feeling.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I think definitely not SOP, but if you get the right crew it can happen. Recently on MAN-LHR in Econ crew member asked me by name if I needed anything. Clearly someone had taken the trouble to look at the passenger list and status. A very small touch, but it started my day well. CX does this kind of thing very well.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls