Is Skytrax selective in its reviews?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)

• TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Uniquely Its Capital Constantinople is technically still in Europe albiet – bi-sected by the Bosp

All changed with that guy Methmet… a while back.

SimonS1
    Participant

Bucksnet – Istanbul Airport (where they are mainly based) is considered by most people to be in Europe.

Turkey is also a member of the Council of Europe, EU Customs Union an associate member of the EU and trying hard for full membership.

I’m sure if it said all 10 were in Asia some smart ar*e would have said Turkish Airlines was based in Europe…..

capetonianm
    Participant

Turkey is not in Europe. It’s people are not European (nor are they Arabs), 95% of its population and 97% of its area is not in Europe, and

“Uniquely Its Capital Constantinople is technically still in Europe albiet – bi-sected by the Bosp….”

Its capital is Ankara which is indisputably NOT in Europe.

If Turkey is considered Europe then there are many other contenders too.

(Edited to correct utterly stupid typo!!)

SimonS1
    Participant

Capetonianm – “It’s capital is Ankara which is indisputably in Europe”.

You may want to ask for a map for Christmas.

lloydah
    Participant

Of course the definitive answer would be the score board of the Eurovision Song Contest 🙂

capetonianm
    Participant

Yes, I left out a vital word ……….! Don’t need a map thanks, I spent two weeks working in Turkey split between IST and ANK.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Turkey’s capital is indeed Ankara, which is in Asia, not Constantinople which hasn’t been called that for hundreds of years.

The part of Turkey in Europe is a bit of Greece that Turkey took off them during their war; hopefully they will get it back one day.

IST is in Europe, but it shouldn’t be in Turkey. Maybe one day TK will have to move to Istanbul’s other airport, in Asia.

Turkey joining the EU should worry us all. Its 75 million people would have free reign anywhere they choose.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Bucksnet:You are of course correct..Ankara is indeed the new Capital.

I should have said the original city of Constantionople which stood for the best part of 1500 years also know earlier as Byzantium before that chap Methmet changed the signature around 1450…..Time flys.

Also regarding Turks in the EU…have you been to North London recently?

Almost every restaurant from Islington to the outer borders of Enfied is now Turkish…and great food and service.

They are all here /there already.

SimonS1
    Participant

Anyhow after all that we were talking about 9 Asian airlines plus Turkish.

I see on their website they now refer to themselves as “Europe’s best airline”.

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

Seem to remember they had a TV ad showing a bunch of (assume) football yobos kicking balls about …in business class…
    work that one out?

canucklad
    Participant

Using Becky’s link I am a bit baffled by the inconsistencies it must be said…..

Without sounding like AC’s answer to VK and BA , I would question how AC can be voted North America’s best international airline ,yet doesn’t warrant a mention in the best North Atlantic category……

Although BA/ KL and LH all feature…..having flown on the latter two, I would always choose AC first .

Their executive first cabin , value for money is far superior to the two European offerings and having flown in Y with all 3 AC is consistently better….

Oh, as far as the Turkish debate goes, FIFA and UEFA place them in the european camp…..although so is Israel!!

FormerlyDoS
    Participant

I have worked with the Turks for about 10 years, they have fabulous demographics (young population) and are all hard workers (IMHO.)

In other words, pretty much the opposite of the UK.

EU_Flyer
    Participant

The Turkish Airlines ad presently screening features Kobe Bryant and Lionel Messi competing for the attention of a young fan wanting an autograph. They end up getting pipped by a bowl of icecream.

Personally, I think it’s a great ad.

Irrespective of Skytrax, Turkish Airlines appear to be making a huge effort to build their brand, including better products, service and newer aircraft

TerryMcManus24
    Participant

features Kobe Bryant and Lionel Messi competing …??

….will Google them….

AnthonyDunn
    Participant

AlexUpgrade77 – 26/12/2012 07:43 GMT

Whereas in my personal experience on THY, the overwhelming smell was not one of ice cream but of vomit from a previous sector that had not been properly cleared up…. Their recent ad left me completely unimpressed: who is Kobe Bryant? THY are perfectly ordinary in comparison with other carriers so I have no idea at all as to how Skytrax gave them their now not so coveted award of Best European carrier.

They are benefiting from the ineptitude and lack of ambition of other regional carriers, allied to a booming Turkish economy. Credit where it is due, they are certainly trail blazing: they are one of the relatively few decent options for getting into much of central Asia these days – as exemplified by their new service through to Ulaan Baatar in Mongolia.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 102 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls