Is London City Airport losing its advantage?

Back to Forum
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

• dam
    Participant

I have travelled since the opening of London City Airport and always enjoyed the benefit of a short check in time, and arriving from Dublin, Belfast or Amsterdam the quick taxi is an obvious advantage and the DLR and Elizabeth line via Woolwich makes transport to East and the City of London.

I tend to fly into City and out of LHR due to timing and lounge facilities.

Recently I had occasion to depart from LCY and was told to check in at 0630 for an 0840 BA flight to Amsterdam.

The scene was chaotic and luckily for me I was travelling with hand luggage so avoided the check in for baggage which was so long there was a holding section.

The security queue moved very quickly and staff were very helpful.

Post security there was very little room and there was a queue for coffee, toilets etc. Can anyone advise what has happened at LCY in the past few years, has it become of victim of its own success?

MartinJ
    Participant

I have never known LCY as anything other than crowded but very effective. Cannot comment on check-in as I always travel without checked baggage. Online boarding pass in hand I try to arrive as late as possible as there is nowhere to go really past security, but have never missed a flight. Queues at security are usually fast-moving. Still the best London airport hands-down.

2 users thanked author for this post.

StephenLondon
    Participant

London City certainly isn’t the easy venue it used to be, where you could rock up to a near empty departure hall 20 mins before and be on your plane a few mins later. But then, routes were limited and planes were small. So the trade-off for me is a longer processing time, but more comfortable planes (mostly jets), and a vastly improved destination board. I loved flying in from Greece the other day, missing all the chaos of LHR/LGW, and being home 30 mins after my flight landed. The popularity of leisure routes such as Ibiza, Mykonos etc. are bringing in a whole different dimension of traveller (with baggage, pushchairs, etc.) who aren’t as speedy as the frequent traveller. But London City still is a nifty airport and is efficient and easy.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I have been reporting on LCY since the mid-1980s … when it was a construction site.

The initial plan was for LCY to be limited to smallish aircraft (40-50 seater turbo-props) and for *all* seats on those flights to be sold at the full business class fare.

In other words LCY would serve a discerning, mainly corporate, market.

Its operational hours reflect LCY’s original mission to this day (although LCY’s current management wants to extend them – see below).

That is how LCY operated in the first few years of its life until Swiss airline Crossair secured certification for its 100+ seater BAe146s.

After Crossair (later to become part of Swissair) arrived in the early 1990s it was followed by other jet operators.

Over the past 30 years there have been several changes of ownership as management sought to increase the number of passengers and so gain more revenue.

At times it is under pressure.

London City seeking to extend Saturday operations

MartynSinclair
    Participant

LCY for me still has the advantage for inbound travel:

1. Very few arrival delays and from Europe would reduce up to 30 minutes off the flight time due to its position on the east side of London

2. Stands are in high demand, so aircraft turn arounds had to be quick

3. such a short walk to the DLR with connections to the wider tube system within a few stops

4. travel by car very difficult and car parking I believe worse than Heathrow – encouraged to use public transport

Outbound travel… as others mention, crowded terminals, no lounges… but generally very few delays… because of (2) above

A victim of its success

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Today’s tweet from LCY shows how the airport and its passenger mix has changed over the years.

AlanOrton1
    Participant

Just used LCY for first time in about 15 years.

No queues at bag drop.
    Small queue for the 2 open security lanes.
    Plenty of room in the departure lounge.
    Flight left on time, albeit with no more than 20 pax on this BA flight to BCN.

If I lived closer I’d certainly use it more as it was an absolute breeze this afternoon. (Notwithstanding some DLR delays).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

At the moment, I would drive to London Southend International, if I was guaranteed my flight would depart. My choice of airport is no longer determined by distance from my home, but purely on the basis whether they have a flight going to where I need to go…. and it wont get cancelled…

If LCY has the flight – I will take a departure from there…

AlanOrton1
    Participant

That’s a big reason why I chose LCY over LHR (even though the former is 3+ times further away). With all the LHR cancellations I thought I’d stand a better chance of getting to BCN this way. Left on time, landed 20 minutes early and already at my hotel 2 hr 30 min from pushback.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

[postquote quote=1230434]

If avoiding cancellations is your goal it seems LCY is not the place to go….

https://www.mylondon.news/news/east-london-news/heathrow-gatwick-stansted-city-london-24903872

ASK1945
    Participant

The report is actually flawed as it doesn’t define what is a “Cancelled” flight.Does it include flights cancelled three months ahead, for example? If these are taken into account, the figures could be very different.

My latest set of BA cancellations, which were for four months ahead, meant that the destination accommodation I had booked was completely unavailable for the alternative available dates the same week and I have had to rebook for completely different dates at now 150% of the original price. The cost of the prebooked car parking has also increased. Fortunately, I am retired but what do people who have a fixed period off from work do in these circumstances?

The frustration and irritation is immense.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

The 1 downside of LCY is winter time for early AM departures when fog can be an issue. Often more impacted than other London airports at the same time of year for fog related problems.

Otherwise it wins on other fronts hands down (but for me in Brighton LGW will always be 1st preference).

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls