Is life returning to ‘normal’?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• DavidSmith2
    Participant

We have just returned from a round trip from Accra to London (BA) with a side-trip from London to Ljubljana (Easyjet). So 2 of the ‘big’ UK carriers, Heathrow (Ts 5&3) and Gatwick North, long/short haul and business/economy options all covered.

I have to say, it did very much feel like ‘business as usual’. No ‘COVID’ checks in any of the 3 countries, no significant delays at check-in or security, no major delays on departure (except the LHR-ACC flight is always a bit delayed), and no serious problems of any kind.

Some mask wearers, some non-wearers (both crew and passengers). Food offerings more or less back to ‘normal’ (not saying much) and most airport outlets open and busy as usual.

I have 2 more Accra-London flights this summer, plus Toulouse (BA) and Ljubljana (TBD) at some point and maybe even some work-related travel in West Africa in July/August. So maybe things are starting to return to normal? Hope I am not tempting fate

1 user thanked author for this post.

ASK1945
    Participant

I bet the people travelling from Manchester Airport hope that what they are experiencing is not a “Return to Normal”.

1 user thanked author for this post.

_glbetrkkr_
    Participant

Same here in the States. Bit strange to not wear a mask on a flight but it’s a welcome return. Some pax masked, but majority not. Flew out of DFW where majority of pax not masked. Flight from PSP-ORD canceled, but weather-related.

TominScotland
    Participant

Just returned from my first long-haul EDI-IST-KUL-IST-MAN (return to Manchester because of Turkish’s schedule) in Business. Overall, a good experience for a (relatively) reasonable price compared to alternatives (about half QR or EK) and less than BA to SIN in PE. Seating was old fashioned on the 777 but very good for shorter-haul legs on an A321neo and 330. Catering was really good on all flights and service fine if not over warm. Mask wearing required on all segments and generally complied with. Miles credited to my LH Miles and More account in a couple of days.

My first time through the new IST and very impressed with the hard product. But why remote park all 777s when there appear to be plenty of gates free? IST Lounges were fine and the hot food prepared on demand excellent.

KUL was like the Marie Celeste on arrival but much busier when I left. COVID checking was stringent in Edinburgh (vaccination status, PCR and insurance), just PCR in Istanbul and just the MySejahtera app in KUL. All that has now been removed…

Manchester let the trip down a bit. E-gates were open with no queue but luggage took 80 minutes to arrive – no announcements and when I asked “Swissport are short staffed” was all I got…

On the way back to normal except the prices. Next trips to DXB and then BAH – more expensive journeys, I suspect.

FormerBA
    Participant

[postquote quote=1211378]

The USA is all over the place as far as Covid protocols go.

I did not have to test on arrival on the QM2. I did not have to wear a mask on an UA flight from EWR to DCA.

I did have to wear a mask at a Broadway theater and they were aggressively enforcing it. I also had to wear a mask at JFK but not on my flight home.

As I said, all over the place.

Iseste
    Participant

Let it be more often because I will soon have to fly too. Amen

AlanOrton1
    Participant

My experience of the US, specifically New York this week, feels as if it is very much back to normal.
    Mask wearing is optional. (Even at JFK). Though as a work trip I’ve not been to museums / theatre etc.
    The app for indoor dining etc showing proof of vaccination is no longer in use.
    Probably more people wearing masks on subway v London Underground. Most pax (and crew) on AA flight maskless.
    Feels close to being back to 2019 – hotel prices back up there, though a few have not re-opened. Restaurants busy.

cwoodward
    Participant

Yes – but slowly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls