Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)

• Guest_Poster
    Participant

That’s interesting, what flex setting were they using?

Hi GP

I haven’t a clue but will ask my brother who is a pilot 😉

londonlad
    Participant

Heard a strong rumour today that Virgin may be pulling off the Dubai route soon.

VintageKrug
    Participant

No, DoS, I didn’t mean “underpowered” as in incapable of flying. Just that it does struggle to reach cruising altitude when compared with other aircraft I have flown on.

I think that’s why Virgin ended up with them on the cheap.

BigDog.
    Participant

@ VintageKrug – 30/05/2013 21:41 GMT

No, DoS, I didn’t mean “underpowered” as in incapable of flying

So often KrugHandles throws a hissy-fit when others accuse him of having several handles, yet is quite free dishing out his own insinuations. What a hypocrite.

Meanwhile the award for the most antediluvian fleet goes to BA – old Walsh certainly knows how to sweat his assets.

VintageKrug
    Participant

I have no other “handles”, never have had – unlike some others on here who do have duplicate handles and chop and change them as often as Jordan changes boyfriends.

DoS has probably been at the wine again, it suits his past posting habits to get abusive in the late evenings.

BigDog.
    Participant

Yes we believe you, just like we believed the reason you gave for not posting flight reviews despite posting so prolifically here and elsewhere – only problem was – it was subsequently shown not to have one iota of crediblity!

Given VK is greatest thread manipulator with multiple edits, deletes, re-posts etc it is not a stretch that he uses multiple handles to manipulate also.

VintageKrug
    Participant

And not a single review under the BigDog. handle, and yet criticises others for not posting, despite the fact I have written several detailed reviews on this forum over the past six years, and also one review available on seatplans.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/members/BigDog./content/seatplans-reviews

The worst sort of hypocrite.

BigDog.
    Participant

Err Criticise OtherS? No, only you. Others aren’t prone to posting virtual flights of fancy 😉

rferguson
    Participant

Londonlad, I heard the same rumor about Virgin pulling out of DXB from a VS friend. My friend says that they will start Abu Dhabi instead. I guess it would make sense as Virgin Australia has a link up with Etihad and flies OZ – AUH. Perhaps we will see a quasi alliance between VS and Etihad?

BritFlier
    Participant

Rumours generally have no basis – just something for people to gossip about and tut disapprovingly. What is the commercial sense in choosing Abu Dhabi over Dubai? Link ups have minimal benefits unless a JV or form of profit sharing can be done. And Dubai is huge within Virgin Holidays so there are wider Group benefits

Guest_Poster
    Participant

VintageKrug – 30/05/2013 21:41 GMT

As a former pilot, now working in management, let me say that your postings I have seen on this subject over the last 24 hours are misguided and read like a 13 year old pretending to be an adult.

For your edification, the A340-300 is a a balanced quad and meets performance A category requirements for public transport aircraft. These requirements mean that a twin in the same category will have sparkling all engine performance in comparison to a quad. But what is completely asinine about your post is the assertion that an A340-300 struggles to reach cruising altitude compared to other aircraft. A 747-400 (recognised as a powerful quad) is often only able to achieve final cruise altitude only through a series of step climbs as the fuel load burns off and the flight envelope expands. It may take several hours to achieve the final cruise altitude.

Addtionally, the take off performance of most CAT flights is de-rated to extend engine life and make use of the runway available. I suppose a know-it-all like you thinks that pilots use the maximum thrust available to win a prize for the shortest take off of the year. So unless you know what assumed air temperature is entered into the A340-300 FMS, judging the power of the aircraft by the take off roll is misleading, as it is highly probable that is is under maximum on a dry runway.

LeTigre
    Participant

Wow, that was amazing!

Whatever you do, Guest_Poster, please don’t give up on the forum, your insights are very valuable.

travelworld
    Participant

Plainly I have no idea as to Virgin’s yield on the flights it operates to DXB but given the plethora of EK flights- is it five per day on A380s ex LHR ?plus daily from just about every UK airport that can handle its wide body aircraft, it woudln’t surprise me if VS were suffering.

EternalExpat
    Participant

Guest_Poster,

I’m looking forward to more contributions from you; an excellent response which – as a son of a pilot – I can only second.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 56 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls