Is it just me or is Virgin Atlantic service slipping?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)

• LeTigre
    Participant

VK, is posting adverts on the forum really appropriate?

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

VS would be my last choice these days. My last flight with them was many years ago. Out in UC with a light load and they ran out of Champagne! Just one meal and no afternoon tea, this was LHR-SFO. Service was excellent though. Back in PE and had to ask for a pre flight drink, the stewardess asked her colleague in a loud voice “are these allowed to have Champagne?”. We were told not much alcohol on board at the beginning of the flight which I believe is the norm with them. Had another flight out and back in Y and it was like flying 2 different airlines. Great out, awful back. Mind made up.

SimonS1
    Participant

Shame the BA3 no longer has pre-clearance at Shannon, that and the refuelling stop erode the benefits IMO.

Does the lounge area at LCY feature the new catering “based on customer feedback”?

VintageKrug
    Participant

Quite right, FirstClassWannabe, I had the same experience with no champagne half way across the ocean.

I summoned the CSD equivalent and some was rustled up, but I was not a happy bunny.

Some of the A340s are very underpowered; they take ages to reach cruising height. Are they much slower I wonder?

I do prefer to have at least a brace of Rolls-Royce’s underwing if at all possible.

Andrew66
    Participant

I have to agree with rferguson here , that sums up my perception too , I’ve had a great experience and a bad one with VS , while I’ve found BA more reliable .

londonlad
    Participant

Sadly an airline that is losing close to £100 million per year has to cut costs. This will come from staff (low morale) and cuts to the service and experience.

londonlad
    Participant

Sadly an airline that is losing close to £100 million per year has to cut costs. This will come from staff (low morale) and cuts to the service and experience.

Bucksnet
    Participant

Which will probably mean even less premium passengers flying with them!

BBFLYER
    Participant

Yes virgin have amazing AD’s but the service is very different depending on the routes, e.g. if flying to Asia when they have the chinese or japanese crew then service is good but on the normal usa routes its awful as the british crew have a could,nt care less attitude .

trident3
    Participant

“Some of the A340s are very underpowered; they take ages to reach cruising height. Are they much slower I wonder?” says VK

Lufthansa B744 crews used to mock their A340-300 counterparts:-
    “The A340 had a birdstrike….from behind ! “

BBFLYER
    Participant

YES there A340’s are very slow and so is the service now . And yes they always seam to run out of champagne and other alcohol on the outbound sectors. It is a shame as Ive always liked flying with them in the past but they really need to get there act together or they will end up like British Caledonian when taken over by BA.

trident3
    Participant

LH website gives cruising speeds:-
    747-800 920km/hr
    744 and 388 907km/hr
    340-600 890km/hr
    340-300 875km/hr

LeTigre
    Participant

“The A340s are very slow…”

JFK in 31 hours, right?

Guest_Poster
    Participant

@Vintage Krug

If the A340-300 was underpowered, it would not have been certified.

In my experience, the A346s have the longest take-off.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 56 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls