Is high tier BAEC worth it?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• FaroFlyer
    Participant

Hi FDOS, my comments were cut and paste direct from BAEC

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits/about-tier-points

FDOS_UK
    Participant

Hi Faro Flyer

[quote quote=824743]Hi FDOS, my comments were cut and paste direct from BAEC

https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/executive-club/tiers-and-benefits/about-tier-points

[/quote]

In your cut n paste post, you missed off the relevant text at the bottom, here’s the full page…

How to get to each tier

To reach Bronze is easy. All you need to do is fly BA at least twice and earn 300 Tier Points or take a total of 25 BA flights. Whichever you do first will get you to Bronze.
    For Silver, you need to fly BA at least four times and earn 600 Tier Points or take a total of 50 BA flights.
    To get to Gold, you will need to fly BA at least four times and earn 1,500 Tier Points.

You can earn Tier Points with British Airways and our oneworld and other airline partners, which gives you more opportunities to reach the next tier.

Use our calculator to find out how many Tier Points you can earn, including with our oneworld and other airline partners.

Calculate Tier Points for your next trip

Log in to check your current Tier Points and qualifying flights and track your progress to the next tier:

My Executive Club

BA flights are:

flights operated by British Airways, including franchises and BA CityFlyer
    codeshare flights on other carriers with a BA flight number
    flights operated by Iberia, including franchises, with an IB flight number

Reward flights and agency or industry discounted bookings do not qualify.

So SimonS1 is right, you can take 4 qualifying flights without stepping on a BA aircraft.

rferguson
    Participant

In fairness, ‘four BA flights’ could be two domestic returns over a twelve month period which isn’t a massive ask. I accrue 90% of my tier points with OW partner airlines.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=824752]In fairness, ‘four BA flights’ could be two domestic returns over a twelve month period which isn’t a massive ask. I accrue 90% of my tier points with OW partner airlines.

[/quote]

Agreed. I believe the discussion went down a rabbit hole based on a misunderstanding of ‘BA flights’.Those four flights could also earn you silver, e.g. longer CW (160 tp) x 4.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=824727]Yes you do, Simon

[/quote]

No you don’t.

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=824752]In fairness, ‘four BA flights’ could be two domestic returns over a twelve month period which isn’t a massive ask. I accrue 90% of my tier points with OW partner airlines.

[/quote]

But to be 100% clear you don’t need to do any domestic returns or indeed any flights at all on a BA aircraft to obtain silver or gold BAEC status.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

or bronze, the curse of Flyertalk 🙂

SimonS1
    Participant

[quote quote=824780]or bronze, the curse of Flyertalk ?

[/quote]

I’ve never understood the point of bronze. Basically you only need to be able to spell your own name to get it, and it’s semi embarrassing to have to tell someone that I’m a….er….bronze.

IMHO it should go from blue to silver and then gold.

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=824797]

or bronze, the curse of Flyertalk ?

I’ve never understood the point of bronze. Basically you only need to be able to spell your own name to get it, and it’s semi embarrassing to have to tell someone that I’m a….er….bronze.

IMHO it should go from blue to silver and then gold.

[/quote]

My wife got a bronze card on the back of one trip to Japan and still has the tags!

When you’ve never had a status card, it’s nice to get one 🙂 (even if it does b*gger all).

Seriously, wasn’t bronze brought in to align with OW Ruby – so that all the AA rubies could benefit from priority boarding?

Olneyflyer
    Participant

Agree with doing away with Bronze. The result of which would be to reduce the number of passemgers that can use speedy boarding with only a few flights under their belts. This way its reduces all the stampedes at the boarding gate,

FDOS_UK
    Participant

[quote quote=824800]Agree with doing away with Bronze. The result of which would be to reduce the number of passemgers that can use speedy boarding with only a few flights under their belts. This way its reduces all the stampedes at the boarding gate,

[/quote]

When HBO pax are ‘bribed’ to check in their hand baggage and then board after the families and before the card holders, it has far more impact than a few bronzes.

I’ve literally seen nearly 40 people board before I got on as the first person in the priority boarding queue.

TiredOldHack2
    Participant

I’ve been BA Gold for about four or five years and, like you, do it within certain budgetary restraints including (for example, in two weeks’ time) flying to China from LHR by going Finnair and routing through Helsinki, to get the double-bubble TPs (the LHR-HEL leg is almost always flown by a BA aircraft anyway). Or taking advantage of things like Qatar’s excellent value sales to ramp up the TPs, again double-bubble.

For me, the real advantage of Gold is that things get sorted out when there’s a problem. The BAEC really does (in my experience, anyway) pull out every stop for Gold members. I remember flying into LHR from AMS and the flight was badly delayed due to huge storms and I could see I wasn’t going to make my connection to EZE and then SCL. But a call to the BAEC and they got me to SCL on schedule, by putting me on their flight to GRU and thence to SCL. It was greatly appreciated.

Mark Caswell
    Keymaster

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I presume the reason why this service can not be offered for international connections (even just shorthaul to longhaul) is due to most countries not being satisfied with the level of security checks outside there own borders…. hence our “Flight Connections”

SimonS1
    Participant

Generally if you are smart there are plenty of ways to get status cheaply. You should be able to get to BA silver for under a grand these days.

TiredOldHack2 has a couple of good ones.

For qualifying flights: I did a couple of Comair flights JNB-CPT last week to keep the ball rolling. Qatar flights under a BA code are also great heading to India or Asia.

For TPs and Avios – once I have my Skywards renewal sorted then the same Emirates flights booked under a QF code are always useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls