Is Ethiopian safe? What to expect?

Back to Forum
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Anonymous

HBHLondon
    Participant

An engine of a very very old B-757 caught fire while taking off from Addis Ababa to London on 23 October (ET700). The flight had been delayed for 90 minutes while something was done to the same engine. We were seconds away from a major disaster. Luckily, the emergency procedures worked and the plane was stopped metres away from the end of the runway. I decided not to use Ethiopian ever again and bought a new ticket with Emirates. I have been suffering from stress since this incident as was confirmed by a doctor provided by Emirates during my transit in Dubai. I now notice that Ethiopian planes are all really old. Are they safe to travel on? What can I expect in compensation from them?

fclassflyer
    Participant

Any expectation of compensation would be in vain. Proving the connection, getting ET to accept liability and actually getting a payment out of them will be nigh on impossible.

Hess963
    Participant

Hi everyone !!

I hope you’ll overcome your flight anxiety. As you know flying is still one or mostly the safest transportation regarding to others.

Unfortunately I might assume that Ethiopian will not accecpt your anxiety as an excuse to reimburse your ticket.

Old aircrafts are in general not bad-it is the matter of maintenance which if done properly as good as the newer ones.

Good luck for future flights !

Hess

David
    Participant

I’m sorry to hear about your ordeal and the subsequent stress problems you’ve had. We take flying (safety) so for granted that any incident does indeed catch us by surprise.

With regard to the age of the aircraft, this has in practice very little to do with the integrity of the airframe and its associated components (including engines). A very strict regimen of checks are placed on the aircraft so that they are able (with correct adherence to the checks – regulated by civil aviation authorities) to fly for many, many years. If you correlate age with air-worthiness, as you seem to suggest in the case of Ethiopian, you would be interested to know that the oldest 757 in Ethiopian’s fleet is from 1991 (the youngest 757 is a 2001 vintage). British Airways’ oldest 757, in comparison, is from 1989.

My best wishes to you on your recovery.

HBHLondon
    Participant

Thanks guys.

NTarrant
    Participant

If you are still feeling a bit jittery on the idea of flying then I would recomend a fear of flying course. My wife developed a fear of flying many years ago and travelling with her was frankly a pain. She went on the course which was run by Aviatours and now she is much better, although does not like turbulence but all the other tings that frightened her have gone.

Whilst on the course she came into contact with people like yourself that have had a bad experience, this apparently is normal. The price is £199 plus VAT (or it was) and they do them at LHR, LGW, MAN and include a flight afterwards. If you do a search from the BA website or google then you will see.

Hope that helps

FirstClassWannabe
    Participant

Sorry to hear about your experience. I have been flying for years and always enjoyed it but all of a sudden I have developed a fear of flying. I cannot tell you the effect this has had on my life, it is so frustrating. It is more a claustrphobia than a fear of flying but can´t seem to overcome it. Has this happened to anyone else?

NTarrant
    Participant

I have to say that I am always worried that I will get a fear of flying as I love it really, it would certainly be pay back time for my wife!

According to the course presenters the fear can come as a result of other things happening in your life, which would tie up with my wife. As I said earlier don’t discount the course, my wife and her friend’s that went with her are fine now. If I got to that stage then I would book myself on the course

Hess963
    Participant

I personally think it is only human to be terrified and worried, if you hear such news like engine on fire, engine problems or even crashes.
    But as a frequent flyer–I won’t say I am so a hard-boiled and indifferent human being that such cases won’t bother me at all.

There are issues which are really scary and need prime attention–but fortwith you try to cope with all the emotions you feel at that moment. You just keep on going and cope with the daily life of a frequent flyer. There is always danger in the world-it is not always primarily with any issues regarding aircrafts.

As you have said-you booked with EK after hearing what happened with Ethiopian. It is your prime feeling, reaction and decision which you follow and it is just faire. So we all tend to book airlines in which we feel safe and intrust our lives–as in our daily lives–flying has become a general part of it.

Just give yourself time and trust your feelings when it is the right time to fly or not.

Hess

JohnPBurnage
    Participant

AS PROF.JOE SAYS “YOU CAN NEVER AFFORD ANYTHING THAT IS CHEAP!”

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls