Is collecting airmiles worth it?

Back to Forum
Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

• Cwyfan
    Participant

Is it me, or has the availability on transatlantic, to US and caribbean, opened up significantly since this thread started.

Better keep complaining, just in case someone actually does read this who has influence!

LGPPRES
    Participant

Its all a matter of degree of traveling one does and flexibility
    Do it often and have some degree of flexibility and absolutely go on collecting -it works for me

olliewb
    Participant

Binman62

May I ask how you got so many ba Amex vouchers? I thought you can only get one voucher per annum when you hit the spend threshold of £10k? Or can you earn multiiple vouchers in one year?

Binman62
    Participant

Olliewb…..I play my cards right.

Both I and mrs Binman have separate bapp cards and last year I kept spending on both under the limit until almost the end of the card year before triggering the vouchers. So two vouchers issued in August valid till aug 13.

I was intending to do same again but miscalculated at Christmas and had 2nd voucher issued valid to dec13.

Mrs b will generate voucher this year and this will need to be fairly soon now to ensure two available allowing us to take advantage of any deals or opening of availability but we won’t fly long haul on points again before Christmas.

We spend on these cards almost exclusively and I tend to shop only where amex is taken. In the uk there is still too much resistance but in the USA you can buy a coffee or park the car using an amex card. It all mounts up.

With the vouchers now valid for two years it is possible to have multiple vouchers and you can also use more than 1 on a single booking thus 4 travel. I tend not to do this as it is best to book separately and use vouchers in expiry order.

olliewb
    Participant

Thanks Binman62, I need to find out the date of my year end “cut off”.

I also use my BA Amex for all purchases where possible. I also have a virgin Amex and use this when i have reached the threshold for the ba voucher. I also use the virgin “shop” when purchasing larger ticket items and get miles on both the card and through the shop, it doesn’t take long for the miles to add up.

Rickers
    Participant

Just log in to your AMEX account, and click the link to view your latest statement online — at the right-hand side of the screen it will detail how much you have spent in your current year, and how much more you need to spend (and by what date) in order to trigger your companion ticket.

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Hm. I’ve been using the Amex/Mastercard Air Miles Duo cards up to now. Now they’re Avoids, of course. Is the BA Amex card that much better?

Might pop over to the BA site and have a shufti.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

I suppose the question to ask is how much cheaper would the tickets be if there were no air miles?

Cwyfan
    Participant

Double avios on BA purchases make Amex more productive

Viewing 9 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls