Is collecting airmiles worth it?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

• TominScotland
    Participant

Watersz’ experience highlights one of the golden rules of redemption in my eyes – never redeem for short-haul or for long-haul economy – its rarely cost-effective and there will often be paid-for alternatives at close to the cost of the taxes or just marginally more. Using miles to upgrade can work really well if your fare conditions allow – EK are great for this – because then there is no additional taxes etc to pay even though the original higher class ticket (ex-UK) would attract the extra charges.

FlyingChinaman
    Participant

TominScotland: I agree with your comment but if you upgrade your travel class out of FRANCE, then you will have to pay the difference.

The French called it Solidarity Tax!!!!!!!

ZKSmith
    Participant

When I fly my work usually pays for my ticket in business class, and the routes I most frequently fly on don’t offer first class cabins. I find collecting miles is still useful. Even if you don’t fly too often, being able to get a few nights hotel stays or a brief car hire for free is a nice perk, even if it isn’t the best value way to use your miles.
    Before I got promoted high enough at work to get free business travel, I found the main benefit of collecting miles was status – I was usually at least Star Alliance Silver and the free luggage on flights in the USA was a nice perk when flying economy.
    I do have to admit that paying large amounts extra in tax, even if only upgrading from economy to premium economy, is far from ideal and makes spending miles on upgrades a lot worse value than you initially realise.

NTarrant
    Participant

For me the answer is definately yes. Without them Mrs T and I would probably not have travelled in higher grade cabins for our holidays or even travelled at all. So collecting is worth it, yes we have had to be selective when we have gone, but as Martyn says the airlines are not giving it away.

JamesMoloney5
    Participant

Absolutely…..the answer is yes!!

I use my TG ROP miles to bring my two sons to BKK every summer, in Business Class, and I also use them to upgrade my seat on the BKK-CDG route about three or four times a year.

Even at short notice I tend to find convenient flights…the TG redemption process is pretty easy, to be honest.

I have no experience with BA as I never set foot on their aircraft…a confirmed SA traveller me…………

Saffjoyfox3
    Participant

Yes, very much so.

Have used them for many years for family holidays to MFU flights from WTP to Club World on BA.

ANDREWYOUNG1
    Participant

I absolutely agree with other posters that airmiles are worth collecting, I’ve long been an advocate of FFPs and encourage friends who don’t see themselves as frequent flyers to collect them – after all there isn’t any cost in collecting them so why not, if you never find a use for them, you’re no worse off. I have found over the years though that because of the hike in taxes and charges which you obviously still need to pay on redemption bookings that the ticket prices can mount up on what you think is a ‘free flight’. I recall a First class flight with United, SFO to LHR, 6 or 7 years ago costing just £9 plus miles, these days you’ll be lucky to see much change from £200!

I am now more inclined to collect hotel points, specifically SPG, as these do seem to offer better rewards which are actually free, no taxes or charges with redemption bookings – I don’t tip airmiles into SPG but do use my SPG Amex card for day to day spending instead of my BA one now to earn points in what I see as a more rewarding programme.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

If anybody does find that they have an excess of airmiles they neither want or have use of, please consider donating all unsued airmiles to the various charities that use them.

Any questions, please ask,

TiredOldHack
    Participant

Still worth it, but you’re right that redemption is hard. Even trying to book a year ahead is next to impossible – at least on the routes I want. And there are plenty of seats available for cash.

Checking last-minute availability reveals a lot of reward seats, so my suspicion is that reward seats are released a week or two before the flight in question. OK if you can drop everything at a moment’s notice – not so good if you can’t.

Biggless
    Participant

I can only speak from my experience which is positive as long as you have some degree of flexiblity. My wife and I have flown First to Cape Town, SanFrancisco & Hong Kong, Club World to Boston plus numerous short haul flights in Club Europe. Using Delta miles, I was easily able to book even 3 business class seats to New York and with KLM, we have flown many times around Europe with KLM. Is it worth it, hmmm…. well probably more £100,000 value of tickets for only a few thousand in airport tax. YES, I THINK THAT COULD BE WORTH IT !

Cwyfan
    Participant

I am flying with my wife First Class to Boston using a companion voucher on the dates I wanted in February, and with my wife and son Business to Los Angeles in July, albeit on American Airlines, so not impossible.

I looked at the possibilities for Washington at Autumn half term, and no problem there, and lots of availability to the caribbean around that time also

LGPPRES
    Participant

ABSOLUTELY YES IF YOU TRAVEL REGULARLY-IF ITS SAME AIRLINE ELITE STATUS HELPS TREMENDOUSLY , EXCELLENT FOR UPGRADES-ITS A FUN GAAME AND I AHVE MILLIONS

Marsden
    Participant

Quote: “Checking last-minute availability reveals a lot of reward seats, so my suspicion is that reward seats are released a week or two before the flight in question. OK if you can drop everything at a moment’s notice – not so good if you can’t.”

This is what I’ve discovered. Flights which showed no availability for months suddenly open up T-48 or so, when the airline has figured out that the seats really are going empty after all. So either plan a year in advance or a day in advance. Either is difficult for most of us.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I think there would be a far more serious issue if reward bookings could not be obtained at all – 1 year in advance or 1 week in advance.

Yes the miles have been earned, BUT I cant see any airline being too quick to give away tickets effectively costing thousands of pounds.

Not supporting the restricted distribution of reward tickets, but certainly can understand why….

Binman62
    Participant

There is no doubt that BA have moved to a late release policy designed to offer seats as upgrades to those who have paid for premium seats in J and to a lesser extent in WT+.

A check of almost any route at any time shows seats in M class where the value of miles, especially on long haul is extremely poor.

Now, having complained about the lack of availability, I find myself embarrassed to note that I have just got 4 people booked LHR HKG SIN in First this August.

I had been looking at July but there was nothing and I had checked out NRT HND HKG and SIN and BKK as possible routes. Indonesia was the final destination.

Until a few days ago there was no availability but in the last few days LHR HKG and return in August has opened up significantly and there was a great deal of availability. CX had availability in all classes to SIN CGK BKK etc even DPS had 7 J class available on August 6th, albeit the only day with anything to or from Bali in any class during August.

So I have managed to burn 2 x 241 amex vouchers and for just over 550,000 and £2300 in cash.have secured seats which if leaving from LHR and booked separately would have costs £28300. YQ on BA was over £2000 whilst CX charged £200 for the 4 of us round trip in First HKG SIN.

Was it a good deal? On balance yes, of course, however the YQ fuel surcharge on BA, particularly in light of the variable availability, is now a very real turn off.

Lufthansa could have got us all to SIN in Business for £6000 in their recent sale and BA ex the EU would have been about £800 more. No doubt I could then have upgraded using points for a further £500 or £600.

So the savings now on a business class fare are not that great as YQ and taxes are the same for J as F, give or take a few pounds, and this particularly true when you consider the difficulty with availability at the sort of times I am able to travel.

There is also a significant downside in that 4 silver cards will be lost in the coming 12 months. I reasoned however that status in premium leisure is not that important and BAs attitude to families and status is not that great. My kids for example get the same junk mail as I do and there is no recognition of their individual needs.

I still have over 600,000 points and 2 further amex vouchers valid till the end of 2013. so can still use BA for points travel.

Going forward though, I think the strategy will be to find the best fare deal in J and this might be ex EU on BA but given the LH example possible on others ex LHR. Points and status will not however be a driver unless something drastic is done to YQ on redemption bookings and I do not see that happening anytime soon.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Business Traveller March 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls