Is collecting airmiles worth it?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

• Anonymous

Binman62
    Participant

Interesting article.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/fast_track/9672711.stm

Sadly they did not touch on the woeful availability once you actually have the miles you need. The head of loyalty at BA did not come across very well IMHO.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

In today’s market, one needs to manage expectations with regards to rewards bookings. You will not get your first choice and the airlines are not standing in line giving free tickets away.

In the last 2 months I have managed to get at short notice:

Gatwick – MCO – LHR x 2 (Virgin – Y)

BKK – HKG – BKK x 2 (Cathay – J)

LHR – BKK – LHR (QF/BA – J)

Total value close onto £8,000

Are Airmiles worth collecting – Y E S !

watersz
    Participant

Each to thier own means to an end I suppose

I booked a reward flight to Thailand in Nov still had to pay 4OOUK Taxes
    could have got an etihad flight for a little more. spendt11 hours in A most uncomfortuble seat on a 747 with minimum pitch

LeTigre
    Participant

MartynSinclair, may I ask how much you paid in taxes in fees on that £8000 total value?

Rioja112
    Participant

In November I got two J class MAD – GRU – MAD for travelling with Ibearia in April this year. Paid ca. 140€ in total.

YES, worth collecting!

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The following taxes were paid, the amount does include all charges to Amex:

1. Gatwick – Orlando and back (economy) – £258.90 per ticket

2. BKK – HKG – BKK (business) – £ 63.22 per ticket

3. LHR – BKK – LHR (business) – £ 525.97 per ticket

Senator
    Participant

Yes, it is worth collecting and be selective on redemption:

BA EC Avios
    WT+ to CW upgrade is excellent value
    Intra-Asia travel on Cathay can be excellent value

M&M
    Good availability on LX on business and First
    Companion Award possible often

F&B
    WebAwards at 50% took me to CUR and back from IAD this past summer

The YQ charge is the downright problem area to me. I really hate when an airline charges YQ on a partner carrier that doesn’t do it to own members. LH M&M is one that does on a UA/CO booking whilst neither would to own members.

LeTigre
    Participant

So MartynSinclair on the total of 5 return tickets you said in your earlier post you paid a total of £1170.21 including credit card charges.

While I recognize this is somewhat imprecise, it’s still quite a bit, even compared with £8000 value!

SimonS1
    Participant

I agree Binman. Probably understandable in the current environment that airlines are making customers work harder for their miles/freebies, however the guy from BA looked a bit shifty and tried to dress the mutton up as lamb instead of being honest (shame about that shirt as well…).

MartynSinclair
    Participant

The question is: “is collecting airmiles worth it?”

Take ticket 3 as the example. The cheapest ticket for BKK came out at £1250 I think via Cairo. The BA/QF flight ex-LHR were around mid £3k. So even compared with a revenue ticket, there are massive savings.

My view is that airmiles are worth collecting.

Airmiles are only worthless to people that don’t travel.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

A one word reply – “yes”. Enough said.

Binman62
    Participant

Here is an interesting fact.

I can get 4 people in club world from Europe to Indonesia for under £7000 and get almost 600 tier points for each passenger, not to mention over 100,000 miles.

I can also get 4 people in club to NRT/HND for under £6000 but 240 fewer tier points and fewer miles.

Here is the rub.

I can amazingly also get redemption seats to TYO NRT /HND (though would have to split over two flights and two airports) on my chosen dates.

A Round trip in Club World will costs 240,000 miles using amex 241, (480,000 without) and £2128 in fees!

In other words the fees alone ex LHR are 36% of the ex Europe fare. The mileage fare is flexible the ex Europe is not.

To get to Indonesia (Jakarta only) would add a further 360000 miles and £360 and again the party needs to split, not just over two flights, but travel from HND and NRT.

In this example miles are an utter waste of time and effort, not to say expensive.

On the other hand, 4 x F LHR SFO for £2000 and 300,000 is probably good value as was 4 x F LHR PHX earlier last year.

I have generally looked upon the payment for travel in summer months as not just paying for flights from A2B but have also factored in the transatlantic flights 6 months or a year later. As a result, I have not been too concerned about paying discounted premium fares ex EU.

Now that long range availability is being artificially restricted in favour of MFU at the last minute, I am less inclined to remain loyal to BA even at discounted rates in the longer term.

Shopping around for more competitive fares has meant that deals such as EK ex ATH brings J class travel to SIN/CGK to less than £4000 for 4 and indeed there is a deal with TK till Feb 14 in business class for 999Euro with partner travelling for a 1Euro. For a Family of 4 that means round trip to CGK for under £1700 or the price of single BA ticket!

LeTigre
    Participant

I can’t seem to get the link for the TK valentines offer working…do you have one that you could send?

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Am not of the type to buy from sales just because I have been dupped with XX% off when in reality I didn’t really want or need the object or service.
    Being internally referenced, am now in a position not to be consumed by status. Am happy to just to shop around for acceptable VFM on the dates I want, as opposed to fretting over how to acquire the most avios, nectar, greenshield points possible, then getting frustrated when I either cannot use them or have to change my plans to use them.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls