Is Cathay going to to announce HKG – EDI route

Back to Forum

This topic contains 28 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  cwoodward 3 Aug 2019
at 03:04

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

• AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

EDI is a truly third division airport and has an awful public transport links. After wasting billions of pounds on that useless tram system I would hardly be keen to get fleeced to pay to use something that takes forever to get into Edinburgh after a 12 hour flight from HKG. Then to endure a wait in that awful Edinburgh Station would bring me close to giving up the will to live. Everything around Edinburgh is a total rip off when it comes to accommodation, even the newly opened hotels are way over priced, poorly staffed with typical rip off food choices. Add the truly awful level of service if renting a car at EDI, first you have to endure the plumes of 2nd hand cigarette smoke as you exit into the non protected walkways (covered in cigarette butts and chewing gum ) which are great if you enjoy being battered by awful weather, while you endure a major hike to to the car rental village. The road networks around EDI are pretty awful with the Edinburgh by-pass being run at over capacity since day one and huge hold up a key points due to to the terrible design and roundabouts. CX has a terrible track record for tagging on flights such as AMS > CDG which was a total disaster when they tried to retain that slot for 2 flights a day.

Okay, where to start…where to start.

EDI is a truly third division airport and has an awful public transport links.

3rd division in relation to what? EDI has undergone extensive refurbishment over the past 4 – 5 years, they have extended the parking, they have created a new low-cost departures area to reduce pressure on main departures, they have a new arrivals hall (all new), they have a new security area which had many issues when open but now works just fine. They have overhauled almost the entirety of the restaurant/bar/retail space and are adding new vendors on a weekly basis. They’ve added more gates to accommodate the status as the busiest Scottish airport. They add new routes regularly and have negated the need for Scottish travelers to connect via the black-hole that is Heathrow. Oh, they’ve just opened not 1 but 2 new hotels on-site at the airport ending Hilton’s ‘charge-what-we-like’ policy as they were the only hotel on site – what more can EDI be doing to bring it into the 2nd division?

After wasting billions of pounds on that useless tram system I would hardly be keen to get fleeced to pay to use something that takes forever to get into Edinburgh after a 12 hour flight from HKG.

What? Forever you say? 20 minutes from EDI Airport to the newly refurbished Haymarket station which is slap bang in the West End of Edinburgh and a 3 minute walk to the convention centre. Or, if you want to be even more central, there’s another couple of tram stops post Haymarket which literally pop you out dead centre of Edinburgh on Princes Street. It costs £6.00 to use the tram – a black cab or Uber will cost a lot more and take the exact same amount of time. The £772 million (not billions) they spent was not at all wasted, next time you are in Edinburgh (which I accept will be against your will) have a look at just how busy the trams are.

Everything around Edinburgh is a total rip off when it comes to accommodation, even the newly opened hotels are way over priced, poorly staffed with typical rip off food choices.

Name me one (any will do) major European capital city where the hotels are cheap? (Even the new ones) I do a lot of driving tours and recently did one around Norway, my God, THAT is expensive! And on the way home we stayed in a number of Euro capitals and paid a kings ransom for accommodation and food. Didn’t feel ripped off at all….kinda standard. As for food, there are some 1st class eateries in Edinburgh, and there are some rubbish ones – same rule-of-thumb applies, I had a truly dreadful meal in Berlin….and then a truly wonderful one the next night.

first you have to endure the plumes of 2nd hand cigarette smoke as you exit into the non protected walkways (covered in cigarette butts and chewing gum )

This can only be a mickey-take that anyone from the Asian continent would complain about 2nd hand smoke. Honestly. And hike to the car-rental village? All the major car hire company’s are literally adjacent to the terminal building at EDI – did you use EasyCar or something?

The road networks around EDI are pretty awful with the Edinburgh by-pass being run at over capacity since day one and huge hold up a key points due to to the terrible design and roundabouts.

Look, I’m not gonna go off one one about the state of roads and traffic in Asia, because actually I love Asia but accept that you literally take your life in your hands when driving (or being driven) out there. Be it Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore or KL, the standard of roads is dismal, they are all overcrowded to the point of bursting and the fatalities are frequent. However, I do concede that the road network around EDI is not the best, even though they have recently spent a massive amount of money opening a new bridge over the Forth as well as the trunk roads around it. I would again challenge you to show me a major European city with a fantastic and non-chaotic road network. Having recently completed a 4000 mile driving tour through Europe, the closest I came to an accident was on the Dutch highways – not because of the amount of cars or their confusing junctions, but because their drivers all drive like Max Verstappen with a blindfold on.

I am not saying EDI airport is perfect, their duty free maze really irritates me, they can be overly busy at security and parking can sometimes be a mare, but to give it the rap you have is massively unfair! Of course there are far better examples of airports, but I bet you can cite very few in Europe and even less in the UK

Och Aye The Noo.
    AOTG.

7 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

AllOverTheGaff wrote:
    ‘I love Asia but accept that you literally take your life in your hands when driving (or being driven) out there. Be it Vietnam, Hong Kong, Singapore or KL, the standard of roads is dismal, they are all overcrowded to the point of bursting and the fatalities are frequent’.

I liked your response to the nonsense expressed re EDI.

However the above I’m afraid relegated your post to a C- in my class.

The roads in Asia are busy but in the major capitals HK,Singapore,KL,Tokyo (and many other places) there are in general better road networks than does the UK in general simply because they are often much more modern. In my opinion the standard of driving is generally equally good and arguably better.
    Of course there are horror stories, Manila for instance is often much like a British motorway on a summer bank holiday. Bangkok can be ugly at certain times as can the M4 into London any morning. Driving in China is not for the faint hearted but much improved from 30 years ago where the Highway Code equivalent encouraged everyone to drive in the middle of the road..with the obvious consequences plus no one had a driving license. Many stories to tell!

The style of driving of course differs from country to country and perhaps that is what caused some of your alarm. Generally Asia is a safe place to drive (I am not including the sub-continent which is another story altogether) as an example my mother drove in HK until she was well past 80 and never had an accident. All of my extended family drive all over Asia and I can’t remember when was the last insurance claim.
    Ah! yes I can – it was in the UK last summer when driving on an ‘A’ road north of Bakewell where the pot hole was so large it destroyed the tyre and broke the wheel of a 7 week old Mercedes (Europcar)

AOTG, I am not surprised at your reaction to Asian roads and driving habits but they differ from Europe rather than being generally better or worse. At first pass the differences can be alarming but try driving in HK or Singapore next time you are here. We drive on the same side of the road, a British licence is OK and we drive rather well on the whole.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

Erm – I did type a lengthy reply to you @cwoodward about my experiences of driving in Asia / Europe but it appears to have been deleted…..no idea why.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

cwoodward
    Participant

AOTG I am sure that I would have enjoyed reading it………too political, angry or heaven forbid racist perhaps.
    Seriously though Tom does a great job of moderating us……….which is not at all easy.

Perhaps try posting it again without the expletives !

GivingupBA
    Participant

Generally Asia is a safe place to drive….

Thanks for posting, but the World Health Organization figures for 2016 do not back this up, e.g. compared to the UK. Road traffic deaths per 100,000 population for some countries were: Thailand 32.7, South Korea 9.8, Cambodia 17.8, Philippines 12.3, Vietnam 26.4, Malaysia 23.6, Indonesia 12.2, China 18.2. The UK was 3.1, Singapore 2.8. Hong Kong is not listed.

2 users thanked author for this post.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

AOTG I am sure that I would have enjoyed reading it………too political, angry or heaven forbid racist perhaps.

Seriously though Tom does a great job of moderating us……….which is not at all easy.

Perhaps try posting it again without the expletives !

It was not angry at all, I wouldn’t dream of being racist especially as I adore Asia and their inhabitants and I don’t do online political chat or debate – I’d rather set fire to my hair. Whatever it was (I re-read it) I am not inclined to type it all out again.

Short version is I rescinded my comment about Singapore as I lumped them in with some truly scary places I’ve been to in Asia. (Vietnam especially) I concurred UK roads aren’t great but still took umbrage to someone from Asia criticising UK roads…which was one of the OP’s many many many gripes about Scotland’s Capital.

People a bit trigger-happy to be offended sometimes. (not you!)

Rgds.
    AOTG.

mkcol74
    Participant

@AllOverTheGaff Is this not the post you are referring to? As I can still see it. Or do you mean a further reply by you?

cwoodward
    Participant

GivingupBA wrote:
    “Thanks for posting, but the World Health Organization figures for 2016 do not back this up, e.g. compared to the UK. Road traffic deaths per 100,000 population for some countries were: Thailand 32.7, South Korea 9.8, Cambodia 17.8, Philippines 12.3, Vietnam 26.4, Malaysia 23.6, Indonesia 12.2, China 18.2. The UK was 3.1, Singapore 2.8. Hong Kong is not listed.”

I disagree, while your post is interesting I don’t altogether understand why you posted as a critical response to my own.

My post specifically referred to Asian CITIES yours mostly to COUNTRIES…..an entirely different subject as we all well understand that huge parts of the countries that you mention are either totally or partially undeveloped as far as roading is concerned although some are densely populated.
    When responding to AOTG I considered that his post had likely been referring built-up areas of the countries to which he was referring which is why my post referred to cities

BTW – road traffic deaths in the UK rose by 3% in 2018 to 1770 on a population of 66M according to Department of Transport figures.

Hong Kong with a population of 7.8 million had 17 road deaths in 2018 – HK Department of Transport figures.

I think that perhaps I have made my case with the 2 only cities that you have mentioned in your post being statically considerably safer than is the UK as regards road deaths.

Thanks for posting.

AllOverTheGaff
    Participant

@AllOverTheGaff Is this not the post you are referring to? As I can still see it. Or do you mean a further reply by you?

No, there was a more lengthy reply citing places I’ve driven in and what dangers I’ve personally seen. The synopsis does the trick.

Rgds.
    AOTG.

1 user thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

Hi cwoodward and good TGIF day to you…..
    Getting back on topic I was just wondering if your contact at CX has heard anymore about the rumour ?
    When I first read your comments I got excited at the prospect, checked with my mate who’s a Captain who hadn’t heard anything, although he’ll presumably be in a different fleet circle than your friend

GivingupBA
    Participant

GivingupBA wrote: My post specifically referred to Asian CITIES yours mostly to COUNTRIES…..an entirely different subject as we all well understand that huge parts of the countries that you mention are either totally or partially undeveloped as far as roading is concerned although some are densely populated…. I think that perhaps I have made my case with the 2 only cities that you have mentioned in your post being statically considerably safer than is the UK as regards road deaths…. Thanks for posting.

I am really very sorry if my post appeared critical of you – that was not my intention at all.

Thank you for your post. However, I do still wonder if it is true that the Asian cities we are considering are a lot safer than the countries they are in. I suggest we need to see specific road traffic death numbers for those cities, and then compare them to the figures for the whole countries which I gave above.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Quite what this all has to do with Cathay flying from Edinburgh is a mystery…..

4 users thanked author for this post.

cwoodward
    Participant

SimonS1 I agree…..very little

It’s all the fault of AOTG ! (smile)

cwoodward
    Participant

Hi Canucklad,

It has all been very quiet of late and I have nothing at all other than some substantial announcements in the next few weeks expected.
    A new route to Niigata was mentioned yesterday.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
BT November cover
BT November cover
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls