Is Cathay going to to announce HKG – EDI route

Back to Forum

This topic contains 28 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  cwoodward 3 Aug 2019
at 03:04

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Rumour passed to me by a CX pilot yesterday is that with the success of the Dublin route Cathay is seriously considering the Hong Kong – Edinburgh route.
    I heard the same rumour 3 weeks ago and on the surface it makes sense………Scotland 5.4 million pop, no existing direct flight to Asia, 55 minutes from Glasgow by motorway and over 4 hours drive down to Manchester.
    The snags may perhaps be:
    Lack of freight ?
    Perhaps sparse Business class trafic ?

TominScotland
    Participant

That would be amazing and very welcome here in Scotland. A much more attractive one stopper to Down Under than DXB or DOH.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Can EDI’s runway cope with a non-stop flight to HKG ?

I know Hainan Airlines already operates EDI-PEK but that’s a shorter route.

One solution would be for CX to route EDI-HKG via DUB.

China’s Hainan Airlines to axe Dublin and Edinburgh?

cwoodward
    Participant

Alex, People that know much better than I say ‘tight but not a major problem’
    At this point its a rumour and I am sure that we have both listened to many of these.
    However it does seem to be a real possibility if in fact the 350 is a fit.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I hear what you say cwoodward. But as I noted above CX could operate a route which would tag Edinburgh onto its existing Dublin service.

In other words HKG-EDI-DUB-HKG.

FrDougal
    Participant

I hear what you say cwoodward. But as I noted above CX could operate a route which would tag Edinburgh onto its existing Dublin service.

In other words HKG-EDI-DUB-HKG.

But Dublin is clearly paying its way as a stand alone service, no need to disrupt its appeal by adding an EDI stop into the mix.

cwoodward
    Participant

Alex, tags seem no longer to be acceptable or attractive to pax and I don’t see ex Dublin paxs finding that scenario acceptable.

The long runway at EDI is 2560 meters and the below from Airbus website indicates that a fully loaded A350-900 needs 2200m on take-off fully loaded

A350-900 – takeoff field length: 2200m , landing field length – maximum payload : 1966m. Range at max payload: 15000km, fuel capacity: 65535kg, : Maximum takeoff weight (MTOW): 65535kg, max landing weight (MLW): 65535kg.

Seems EDI is tightish but runway length is not an issue

Interestingly last year Airbus for some weeks successfully tested the A350-900 into and out of Wellington NZ airport with a runway length of only 2081m. Wellington is noted as being a very difficult strip due to the very poor,windy and changeable weather conditions. (I was once on a Fokker Friendship that landed on the 4th attempt)
    A report commissioned by the airport and interested airlines indicated that A350-900s with full passenger load is possible ex WLG to USA Hong Kong and Singapore but interestingly not the B787.

canucklad
    Participant

I’d love to see this come to fruition, alas I’ll keep my expectations low
    Contacted my mate who’s a captain with CX and he’s not heard anything on his grapevine. .

If CX did a tie up with Scotrail they potentially increase their appeal to a much wider audience. Then again that would suggest an integrated transportation plan , so not likely ; (

As an aside, when the Commonwealth conference was held here years ago, there was a couple of Jumbos that brought leaders, along with press and their entourage , so albeit not fully laden.

In the meantime I ‘ll keep my fingers crossed , toes too

transtraxman
    Participant

There seems to be a lot of wishful thinking here. Maybe it will all come out well. However, I ask if there are any transfer passengers from Aer Lingus´ north american routes. That would seem a good explanation for the increased loads from Dublin to Hong Kong.

Could Edinburgh offer anything like the same?

TaiwanTraveller
    Participant

EDI is a truly third division airport and has an awful public transport links. After wasting billions of pounds on that useless tram system I would hardly be keen to get fleeced to pay to use something that takes forever to get into Edinburgh after a 12 hour flight from HKG. Then to endure a wait in that awful Edinburgh Station would bring me close to giving up the will to live. Everything around Edinburgh is a total rip off when it comes to accommodation, even the newly opened hotels are way over priced, poorly staffed with typical rip off food choices. Add the truly awful level of service if renting a car at EDI, first you have to endure the plumes of 2nd hand cigarette smoke as you exit into the non protected walkways (covered in cigarette butts and chewing gum ) which are great if you enjoy being battered by awful weather, while you endure a major hike to to the car rental village. The road networks around EDI are pretty awful with the Edinburgh by-pass being run at over capacity since day one and huge hold up a key points due to to the terrible design and roundabouts. CX has a terrible track record for tagging on flights such as AMS > CDG which was a total disaster when they tried to retain that slot for 2 flights a day.

Henryp1
    Participant

It would be a bonus for customers in the area, giving a greater choice of carrier, which may result in competitive fares.

TominScotland
    Participant

TaiwanTraveller – I take your post to mean that you really like Edinburgh and its airport?

6 users thanked author for this post.

Montysaurus
    Participant

I also take it that Taiwan Traveller is an Edinburgh aficionado! I may be a Glaswegian but Edinburgh’s not that bad!

2 users thanked author for this post.

canucklad
    Participant

EDI is a truly third division airport and has an awful public transport links.

The road networks around EDI are pretty awful

Everything around Edinburgh is a total rip off

Hey TaiwanTraveller , sounds like Edinburgh has come of age and entered that holy grail of city status. With all the points you’ve made, you’ve described a world city !! A city that people want to visit !

It’s become a victim of its own success. A tourist trap of it’s own making !!

f you enjoy being battered by awful weather,

What’s not to love – there’s a masochistic pleasure in getting drenched and sunburnt at the same time, add in bouts of hypothermia and windburn and your Scottish weather experience is complete !

4 users thanked author for this post.

K1ngston
    Participant

EDI is a truly third division airport and has an awful public transport links. After wasting billions of pounds on that useless tram system I would hardly be keen to get fleeced to pay to use something that takes forever to get into Edinburgh after a 12 hour flight from HKG. Then to endure a wait in that awful Edinburgh Station would bring me close to giving up the will to live. Everything around Edinburgh is a total rip off when it comes to accommodation, even the newly opened hotels are way over priced, poorly staffed with typical rip off food choices. Add the truly awful level of service if renting a car at EDI, first you have to endure the plumes of 2nd hand cigarette smoke as you exit into the non protected walkways (covered in cigarette butts and chewing gum ) which are great if you enjoy being battered by awful weather, while you endure a major hike to to the car rental village. The road networks around EDI are pretty awful with the Edinburgh by-pass being run at over capacity since day one and huge hold up a key points due to to the terrible design and roundabouts. CX has a terrible track record for tagging on flights such as AMS > CDG which was a total disaster when they tried to retain that slot for 2 flights a day.

Not a big fan then TaiwanTraveller? You’d never have known!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls