Is Cathay going to to announce HKG – EDI route

Back to Forum

This topic contains 8 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  transtraxman 24 Jun 2019
at 13:41

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• cwoodward
    Participant

Rumour passed to me by a CX pilot yesterday is that with the success of the Dublin route Cathay is seriously considering the Hong Kong – Edinburgh route.
    I heard the same rumour 3 weeks ago and on the surface it makes sense………Scotland 5.4 million pop, no existing direct flight to Asia, 55 minutes from Glasgow by motorway and over 4 hours drive down to Manchester.
    The snags may perhaps be:
    Lack of freight ?
    Perhaps sparse Business class trafic ?

TominScotland
    Participant

That would be amazing and very welcome here in Scotland. A much more attractive one stopper to Down Under than DXB or DOH.

1 user thanked author for this post.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

Can EDI’s runway cope with a non-stop flight to HKG ?

I know Hainan Airlines already operates EDI-PEK but that’s a shorter route.

One solution would be for CX to route EDI-HKG via DUB.

China’s Hainan Airlines to axe Dublin and Edinburgh?

cwoodward
    Participant

Alex, People that know much better than I say ‘tight but not a major problem’
    At this point its a rumour and I am sure that we have both listened to many of these.
    However it does seem to be a real possibility if in fact the 350 is a fit.

AMcWhirter
    Participant

I hear what you say cwoodward. But as I noted above CX could operate a route which would tag Edinburgh onto its existing Dublin service.

In other words HKG-EDI-DUB-HKG.

FrDougal
    Participant

I hear what you say cwoodward. But as I noted above CX could operate a route which would tag Edinburgh onto its existing Dublin service.

In other words HKG-EDI-DUB-HKG.

But Dublin is clearly paying its way as a stand alone service, no need to disrupt its appeal by adding an EDI stop into the mix.

cwoodward
    Participant

Alex, tags seem no longer to be acceptable or attractive to pax and I don’t see ex Dublin paxs finding that scenario acceptable.

The long runway at EDI is 2560 meters and the below from Airbus website indicates that a fully loaded A350-900 needs 2200m on take-off fully loaded

A350-900 – takeoff field length: 2200m , landing field length – maximum payload : 1966m. Range at max payload: 15000km, fuel capacity: 65535kg, : Maximum takeoff weight (MTOW): 65535kg, max landing weight (MLW): 65535kg.

Seems EDI is tightish but runway length is not an issue

Interestingly last year Airbus for some weeks successfully tested the A350-900 into and out of Wellington NZ airport with a runway length of only 2081m. Wellington is noted as being a very difficult strip due to the very poor,windy and changeable weather conditions. (I was once on a Fokker Friendship that landed on the 4th attempt)
    A report commissioned by the airport and interested airlines indicated that A350-900s with full passenger load is possible ex WLG to USA Hong Kong and Singapore but interestingly not the B787.

canucklad
    Participant

I’d love to see this come to fruition, alas I’ll keep my expectations low
    Contacted my mate who’s a captain with CX and he’s not heard anything on his grapevine. .

If CX did a tie up with Scotrail they potentially increase their appeal to a much wider audience. Then again that would suggest an integrated transportation plan , so not likely ; (

As an aside, when the Commonwealth conference was held here years ago, there was a couple of Jumbos that brought leaders, along with press and their entourage , so albeit not fully laden.

In the meantime I ‘ll keep my fingers crossed , toes too

transtraxman
    Participant

There seems to be a lot of wishful thinking here. Maybe it will all come out well. However, I ask if there are any transfer passengers from Aer Lingus´ north american routes. That would seem a good explanation for the increased loads from Dublin to Hong Kong.

Could Edinburgh offer anything like the same?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller July / August 2019 edition
Business Traveller July / August 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls