Is BA Doing Enough to Publicise LHR Terminal Moves?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

VintageKrug
    Participant

Although frequent travellers are generally aware of the detail of major infrastructure projects such a Terminal 5, most travellers will not really have engaged with the effect such developments may have on their journey.

Sadly, it is these less frequent travellers who will not only experience increased stress as they navigate the maze that is LHR to get where they need to go, but may also delay flights for the rest of us as they struggle to check in on time at the correct terminal.

The new http://www.ba.com/terminal5 will usher in a new era of travel, catapulting Heathrow from one of the most maligned airports in the world back up to the premiership division, at least for those fortunate enough to be travelling on British Airways through its dedicated T5 facility.

What is less well publicised is that during the nine month transition period, BA resources will be stretched as they operate from 4 of the 5 available passenger terminals at LHR.

In particular, travellers to Bangkok, Singapore and Sydney on both BA and Qantas services will remain in Terminal 4 until at least January 2009, before moving to Terminal 3.

Though BA is closing the Lounge Pavilion in T4 this month, the Gate 1 lounge will take up the slack for these remaining flights, having been comprehensively refurbished in 2007.

Though I am sure there will be more publicity on this matter in the coming fortnight, as the terminal moves begin on March 27 2008, the .pdf file below should help pax understand the timetable for change, and ensure they are not disappointed in having to use temporary or end-of-life lounges when they were expecting to use the shiny new facilities at T5. Perhaps it should be printed in Business Traveller’s April edition?

http://www.terminal5.ba.com/media/en/BA_T5_moves.pdf

Dear VintageKrug,

Thanks for your post. You are absolutely right that many travellers will not yet be aware of how the new T5 will affect their journeys to and from Heathrow.

And that’s exactly why we’ve dedicated a large chunk of our April issue to examining every angle of the new terminal, from getting there, to parking, check-in, shopping, lounges, arrivals, connections, hotels and of course the reorganisation at the airport caused by BA’s move to T5.

Subscribers to Business Traveller can get a sneak preview of the new issue by clicking here.

Oh, and on your suggestion we’ve included the reorganisation timetable within “The knock-on effect”, and you can also access detailed maps of T5 and the surrounding area within “Welcome to T5”.

We hope you find the information helpful,

Business Traveller

VintageKrug
    Participant

That’s excellent news.

Though, alas, I have spotted a small error in the article:

“…plus the BA/Qantas flights to Bangkok, Singapore, Sydney, which switch across to T4 early next year (on a date to be announced)”

As these codeshared JSA services are already located in T4, I think what was meant was that these will be moved to T3 early next year. Perhaps the online edition could be changed to reflect this?

I would be interested to know if your reporters managed to establish with the closure of the Elemis Spa at T4 Lounge Pavilion, whether these services will be offered to BA’s premium passengers using these services between now and the switch to T3? Will there be Spa/massage facilities in the Gate 1 lounge?

I would also be interested to know if the BA Arrivals Lounge will be maintained with Spa/massage facilities on arrival in T4.

Thanks VintageKrug – it should have read “from T4” rather than “to T4”. This has now been amended online.

We’ve also contacted BA for a response to your other lounge queries, and we’ll post any reply as soon as we get it.

Business Traveller

Corporate-gal
    Participant

It’s not just BA. I made my booking to fly to Costa Rica later this year using my BA Miles, through the BA website, but I’m flying with Iberia (one of the oneworld alliance airlines and unless you want to deal with that hellhole called Miami, the most direct route to the country).

I just happened to be checking my reservation the other day only to find that the Terminal for the LHR-MAD bit of the route had moved from Terminal 2 to Terminal 3. Had I received an e-mail informing me of this change? NO

I now have no idea what lounge facilities will be available at Terminal 3 as I was set up ready to go headlong into the Iberia Business lounge in Terminal 2. Will that transfer to Terminal 3, or will there be a combined oneworld alliance one?

VintageKrug
    Participant

You should get a reminder when your check-in reminder arrives closer to your date of travel.

It should also list the correct departure terminal if you go into your MMB Manage My Booking page within your BAEC homepage account.

Terminal 3 has an American Airlines lounge and Cathay Pacific Lounge, and apparently a JAL Lounge though that is closed much of the time.

It would seem these are your options until the new T3 BA Lounge opens in “early 2009” once the Qantas/JSA SIN/BKK/SYD flights move over to Terminal 3.

Suggest you pack a sandwich and a wet wipe.

dutchyankee
    Participant

VK, I know this is an old thread, but felt it was the most relevant to ask you my question. With the BA flights to Singapore and the onward one to Sydney moved into Terminal 5, does it mean BA maintains only one long haul route (to Bangkok) now in Terminal 3, and if so, will this flight not soon move into Terminal 5 as well? Seems bizarre to me to keep just the one longhaul out of T5, especially as the joint business operation with Qantas has finished? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls