Is BA about to ground entire fleet?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)

• rferguson
    Participant

Alex Cruz has addressed employees via video message.

Routes and staff will be cut. In talks with TU’s

New aircraft deliveries under review.

Still no specifics on which aircraft will be grounded/which routes cut.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Andrew
    Participant

It seems like the grounding of a number of long haul aircraft actually provides BA with an opportunity to speed up some of their cabin refurbishment / replacement activities. I know there will be issues around supply of parts, potentially staff to carry out the work and cash flow but would be interested in whether people think this is a practical option and something which BA might be looking at.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

It seems like the grounding of a number of long haul aircraft actually provides BA with an opportunity to speed up some of their cabin refurbishment / replacement activities. I know there will be issues around supply of parts, potentially staff to carry out the work and cash flow but would be interested in whether people think this is a practical option and something which BA might be looking at.

I’m guessing that BA’s sole focus right now is on preserving cash, not bringing forward spending it.

SimonS1
    Participant

Attached is Alex Cruz’s announcement to staff, which has appeared on several websites. Not particularly sympathetic, sums him up really.

I wonder what salary cut Alejandro has accepted?

Cruz-message

Attachments:
    1 user thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

Completely, ruthless, cold and charmless. That’s the man, through and through.
    Loved by shareholders, loathed by others.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

What is stunning is that BA are still so far behind in allowing customers to change tickets without the change penalties than there competitors. Unless updated in last few hours then with a few exceptions they are still charging on bookings pre-3rd March.

Frankly I think pretty disgusting, when most airlines are now trying to do the right thing. By being slow as well it is just delaying the inevitable changes that will be made by people as they wait for BA to have a sensible, caring policy.

**** edited to add I’ve now heard that finally for bookings for travel before 31st May will be waived change fees. Not able to verify though a reliable source ****

Still should have been much sooner

ASK1945
    Participant

What is stunning is that BA are still so far behind in allowing customers to change tickets without the change penalties than there competitors. Unless updated in last few hours then with a few exceptions they are still charging on bookings pre-3rd March.

Frankly I think pretty disgusting, when most airlines are now trying to do the right thing. By being slow as well it is just delaying the inevitable changes that will be made by people as they wait for BA to have a sensible, caring policy.

**** edited to add I’ve now heard that finally for bookings for travel before 31st May will be waived change fees. Not able to verify though a reliable source ****

Still should have been much sooner

As of 10.30 this morning I was charged £300 to change two return tickets to TLV, which were for Sunday, booked last November.

I asked the adviser to check whether there had been a change of policy, and after consulting she told me that there wasn’t.

capetonianm
    Participant

Received tonight by pax due to leave on Sunday morning.

Booking reference: XXXXXX

Dear XXXXXXX

We are contacting you about your upcoming British Airways Holidays trip to XXXXX

As you may already be aware, your travel dates and destination have been affected by measures introduced in response to coronavirus COVID-19. We are sorry to advise that this means we are unable to provide your British Airways Holidays arrangements as originally booked.

We are currently receiving exceptionally high call volumes as a result of this, and are very sorry if you have been unable to contact us by phone. If you have already been in touch with us to rearrange your travel plans, thank you for your patience, and please disregard this message.

We will be processing a full refund of your British Airways Holidays arrangements without delay. This will be returned to your original payment card within the next 48 hours, but please allow 5 to 7 days for the credit to show on your statement. If you have already been in touch to arrange alternative plans, these will remain in place.

When you are ready to rethink your travel plans, we have introduced additional flexibility so you can book with total confidence. This includes the removal of change fees for new bookings and low deposits on package holidays. You can find the full details here.

We are very sorry that your trip has been affected in this way but look forward to assisting with your future travel plans.
    British Airways Holidays

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

Hi ASK1945

It’s only been changed this afternoon / evening as when I checked this morning it hadn’t.

Now waived for any travel before 31st May booked anytime

ASK1945
    Participant

Received tonight by pax due to leave on Sunday morning.

Booking reference: XXXXXX

Dear XXXXXXX

We are contacting you about your upcoming British Airways Holidays trip to XXXXX

As you may already be aware, your travel dates and destination have been affected by measures introduced in response to coronavirus COVID-19. We are sorry to advise that this means we are unable to provide your British Airways Holidays arrangements as originally booked.

We are currently receiving exceptionally high call volumes as a result of this, and are very sorry if you have been unable to contact us by phone. If you have already been in touch with us to rearrange your travel plans, thank you for your patience, and please disregard this message.

We will be processing a full refund of your British Airways Holidays arrangements without delay. This will be returned to your original payment card within the next 48 hours, but please allow 5 to 7 days for the credit to show on your statement. If you have already been in touch to arrange alternative plans, these will remain in place.

When you are ready to rethink your travel plans, we have introduced additional flexibility so you can book with total confidence. This includes the removal of change fees for new bookings and low deposits on package holidays. You can find the full details here.

We are very sorry that your trip has been affected in this way but look forward to assisting with your future travel plans.
    British Airways Holidays

Thank you for this information.

I have now made a formal complaint to BA and asked for a refund of my penalty charge, using part of the email you were sent by your friend, without mentioning your name.

capetonianm
    Participant

That’s fine ASK1945, but bear in mind that the booking in question was a BA holidays package (flights+transfers+hotel) so the rules might be different. You may well question whether or not that’s fair, most likely it isn’t, but with Ts and Cs it’s always about what we agreed to.

That said, the holiday would have had a cancellation penalty too.

The flights to/from the destination are still operating, but they’ve withdrawn the package. Pretty pointless to go on a 7 day holiday and have to spend 14 days in self-quarantine!

The FCO advice was changed earlier today and now says as below. That was not in place this morning when I looked.

The Republic of Cyprus government has put in place a series of measures in response to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. You should comply with any additional screening measures put in place by the authorities.

The Republic of Cyprus government has announced stricter measures on UK nationals entering Cyprus applicable from 14 March. All UK nationals arriving in Cyprus from that date should self-isolate for 14 days. Those who are due to leave the country before the end of 14 days may do so provided they do not display symptoms. UK nationals who arrived in Cyprus prior to 14 March are not affected by these measures. The above measures are expected to remain in place until further notice.

Good luck, please post response here.

Poshgirl58
    Participant

Mr Cruz obviously isn’t following the example being set by Alan Joyce, CEO at Qantas. It’s reported that he’s sacrificing his salary for the remainder of 2020, a good portion of the £12m he’s rumoured to earn.

ASK1945
    Participant

Thanks capetonianm.

I noticed that the email was from BA Holidays. I see now that the trip was to Cyprus. My own was to Israel and they announced the (similar) measures three days ago.

TimFitzgeraldTC
    Participant

No problem. I have a screenshot of the formal policy if you need it

fatbear
    Participant

Just looking at one of my bookings for travel on BA in May, if i cancel I will be charged a cancellation fee. However, using another option I can get a voucher for the full value which can be used for travel to any destination within 12 months of the original departure date.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 54 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Business Traveller April 2020 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls