Is BA about to ground entire fleet?

Back to Forum
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)

• PhilipHart
    Participant

According to a comment on Head for Points that rumour is rife on internal BA comms :-

Here is the British Airways refund policy on the US / Schengen Zone travel ban – and how the ban will work

Rob’s view is that this wouldn’t happen until 14 days hence, so that BA can avoid paying EC261

I do of course realise that this is most likely to be yet more fevered speculation. But it would be BIG if true.

Maybe @rferguson has some insight?

FaroFlyer
    Participant

What a load of absolute rubbish. Why would BA ground the entire fleet because of Trump?

BA has more destinations than USA, Italy and Asia.

Yes, they will be quiet, but they will bounce back. There are many, many more vulnerable airlines.

FrequentlyFlying
    Participant

My thoughts exactly absolute tosh.
    I suspect aircraft types will get shuffled to cope with decreased numbers on certain routes but grounding the fleet? Come on.

3 users thanked author for this post.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

I don’t think this will be down to Trump or even the airline’s own choice.

Will all depend on what Boris & co have in store for the UK. Absolutely nothing will surprise me. I will certainly NOT be surprised if ultimately all airports and flights are suspended for a period of time.

nevereconomy
    Participant

I imagine that, like any correctly run business, they will make the best changes for their business/shareholders and adjust as circumstances change.

capetonianm
    Participant

The topic heading to this article is sensationalism at its worst.
    I don’t see anything to indicate that BA is about to ground its entire fleet.

4 users thanked author for this post.

esselle
    Participant

I’ve heard, from a reliable source, that the management of a sizeable Northern European airport are having serious discussions about closing down for a week.

It would not surprise me if things reached this stage, if only briefly.

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

Some long-haul leisure routes, where passengers book in advance and are often booked as part of a package, are still seeing high loads, ie to the Caribbean, Cancun etc. They’re certainly not going to cancel those anytime soon.

PhilipHart
    Participant

cwoodward
    Participant

I listened earlier this morning to a radio interview with Tony Tyler the just retired former head of IATA and former CEO of Cathay Pacific who replied to the question re airlines and BA particularly closing down their entire networks with the comment ‘that no major airline CEO would entertain the idea of closing’ this because that major airlines have huge fixed overheads and holding costs and any revenue that will mitigate the major losses is much needed. He said that is the reason why airlines are not reducing fares or offering incentives is precisely because every dollar of revenue is desperately needed.

TupeloKid
    Participant

[postquote quote=993377][/postquote]

It doesn’t surprise me in the least that Tony Tyler doesn’t know what a demand curve is.

rferguson
    Participant

So BA has made no announcement on what the capacity cuts will be.

But personally i’d doubt a full close down. For the following reasons:

1. there is still demand (although reduced) for air travel.

2. Where do you park 350-400 aircraft? And airports do not give away long term plane parking for free.

3. BA has longhaul aircraft from the 787-8 to the A380 in size. It would make sense to adjust their resources to best fit the demand.

4. I don’t personally see any benefit in a complete grounding where BA will still have to pay leases, fuel (which is paid in advance), staff (which they can just not stop paying).

**Personal opinions only**

5 users thanked author for this post.

ontherunhome
    Participant

These are exceptional times, and business needs to think of survival here. There is demand, but how much and for how long. I think the EU should suspend compensation rules, so airlines can match demand to services, for the sake of their survival, the environment and the economy in general. I,for example have had all my meetings in Europe cancelled. I have BA flights booked I do not need. I hope that BA cancel, but now it is 14 days to go, i doubt they will. I would be happy to take vouchers for future flights so BA have my cash, but then they can plan flights with supply and demand in balance.
    The whole thing is a mexican standoff, stupid, and all down to money, which is being wasted, at the detriment of everyone.

As passengers, we need to be flexible, and pragmatic, and except the situation as it is.

Hotels, seem to be realistic, though ACCOR are giving me bad vibes, about some bookings, so if required I will boycott them in the future. Those that show sense now and help me, will get my future loyalty.

2 users thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Rather sensational headline, however nothing would be surprising in the current environment.

As far as airlines are concerned – I would probably have more sympathy if the likes of BA had not fattened their profits by routinely denying genuine compensation claims in better times with bogus excuses. When you play hard ball with customers then don’t complain if they play hard ball back.

4 users thanked author for this post.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 63 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls