Is Air India Safe: Pilots Put Newspaper Over Windshield

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

• DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

VK can get away with cutting and pasting to some degree, but when s/he comments on topics like this, the veneer soon wears away.

Totally agree with your post craig, would love to see VK demonstrating the importance of visibility in a dense Cu cloud, when you can’t even see the engines on a typical airliner.

Also, an ILS to minima does tend to be accompanied by less than perfect visibility until breakout.

As I only flown ‘little metal’, I didn’t stick charts on the windshield, but found that tinted lexan screens (optically non distorting), with suckers, were very useful on bright days.

Let’s face it, you’re unlikely to see traffic coming directly out of the sun until it is too late, but the big sky helps.

craigwatson
    Participant

if you remember the Brazil mid air crash where the commercial Gol flight and a private jet collided head on at around 1000mph closing speed.

The Gol flight went into a spin and crashed… the private jet pilots didn’t even know they had hit another plane

MartynSinclair
    Participant

TCAS is an electronic eye in the sky which does provide a big safety net in the cruise. However, when there is a closing speed of ca. 1000 mph, there is very little the human eye or reactions can do, especially if the aircraft is closing from above or below (as opposed to the level flight).

As with anything electronic, you have to have trust in your instruments, but still back those up with you own intuition. There is nothing stopping any pilot from removing window coverings, in bright sunlight or night, from time to time to take a look, it’s called good airmanship.

Inquisitive
    Participant

VK you are assuming without knowing many things in full. Although Craig correctly predicted that english is not my first language – but it is good enough to convey what i meant to say. Also when I make a post, I use the writing like blog/tweet without spending much time on grammar etc. English is now very rich as it is adopted by many people with their own cultural addition to the language. For many english speaking people (like our friends on other side of atlantic) – some of the words used by you (like tosh) could be incomprehensible. Anyway, your comment about importance of newspaper on windscreen is tosh! I have now serious doubts about …..

DisgustedofSwieqi
    Participant

craigwatson

Head on is a nasty situation, heading into the blind spot where the optic nerve enters the eye and little, if any, relative movement.

In our syndicate, we used to keep the windscreen very clean, I hated flying rental aircraft with bug marks up front, made it harder to see and avoid, when under visual rules.

craigwatson
    Participant

the thing with the brazil crash, the private pilots didnt even know they had hit a 737 until they landed ( thier winglet sheered off the outer 8 feet of wing off the 737). A strange design in the corporate jet was that the TCAS switch is beside the pilots leg, and he had inadvertantly switched it off

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Craig – I think you will find that the American pilots involved were commercial not private. The incident has been subject of a criminal investigation.

http://www.ainonline.com/news/single-news-page/article/controller-found-innocent-in-brazilian-midair-29927/

lrajeev
    Participant

VK , you said visibility to see traffic?
    Hey the plane flies in the Sky..Its not on the road. Visibility is only needed when taking off & landing and not needed on Auto pilot.
    Now what difference does it make what covers a windshield?..can you see through charts and not a newspaper.
    I approve all the doubting about you.
    Now talking about proper language is hitting below the belt..Don’t be off topic

HAWK21M
    Participant

Covering a Windshield in cruise is not a safety issue under IFR conditions & Type equipped with TCAS.
    Purpose is to avoid sunlight into the Flight Deck & cater to reduce exposure to cosmic radiation.
    The Instrumentation adds to the safety of the type.TCAS RAs are more accurate than going visual.
    And its not that all Windshields are covered but most of them.

Finally there are very few Aviation reporters that have true knowledge of Aviation & majority sound like dramatic writers from some imaionary planet.

With time,one will know who to believe…….

googleclone
    Participant

I find myself wanting to hit someone if only to stop the incessant smiling. This is, though, probably a sign of my own psychological weakness rather than a key market advantage for AI Oh, and you get Lufthansa miles

thanks
    colors of india tours
    http://www.colorsofindiatours.com

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls