Is Accor getting its act together or have I been lucky?

Back to Forum
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• Anonymous

NTarrant
    Participant

It has been well documented on the forum that the A-Club of Accor is not that good and many issues of receiving points for stays etc. I obtained a Platinum card through an upgrade from a thread on the forum, thinking I would never use it.

Last month I needed to go to Ipswich and found that there was a Novotel near the station so booked it. In the meantime I had changed my profile to give me Avios through my BA Exec membership. A day after my return home I received an email advising me that a number of Avios had been sent to my BA Exec account. Low and behold when I checked they were indeed there.

Last week I went to Nottingham and as the Novotel had a really good price I booked there. Avios were credited to my BA Exec account on Tuesday.

Have I been lucky?

MarcusUK
    Participant

Have held the Platinum card since it began. You arr right that with some recent changes, the points get transferred promptly, mainly for me to Flying Blue / KLM, but in lots of 2,000 points.

The hotel value of them at Euros 40 each is poor. The whole scheme gives little benefit in my view, with the exception of when you check in at Sofitel’s. There I have always had room upgrades and the regular hotels i use always to the Exec Club floor, with lounge access. But this is more about building up a relationship with the hotel as a frequent guest.

Room upgrades are the norm as a Platinum member, small tokens of wine chocolates or treats each day,

Most program changes leave little benefit from free nights, it is really about the perks and room level you get when checking in, so i use the miles to slow feed the FFP miles.

Sad for such a large groups like Accor, with all levels of accommodation across the world, to have such an un-exciting and un-inspiring program!

Shanwick1249
    Participant

NT

I’m glad you had a positive experience. Perhaps you have been more than lucky and things at Accor and A-Club are changing. Alas, I will never know as I will never go back. My Gold card lies abandoned and I will never choose one of their hotels again.

Even now Accor is running an international ad campaign boasting how every penny you spend and every night you stay earns points that you can use (for wonderful things).

Then there is an asterix that points to the T&Cs which all note that, actually, none of the above is true.

This has been my experience with A-Club – no recognition of what you spend, no interest in retaining your loyalty. Having argued with them for so long I have given up and will do the only thing I can – and never go back. Which I say in regret and not with malice.

NTarrant
    Participant

I know how you feel Shanwick, I was a very loyal Accor Favorite Guest card holder for many years and had a number of holidays with the family using the “cheques” which I gained through stays.

Sadly having had a bad run of not getting what I was due, gave up and only used Accor as a third choice. It still isthird choice but having used the two Novotel’s because it was more convinent, I was very suprised at the quickness of actually getting the Avios to my BA Exec account.

seasonedtraveller
    Participant

In my business life, I can remain top tier with 3 hotel groups & recently ditched Priority Club in favour of Accor. Diamond with Hilton & Concierge with Carlson, I joined this scheme last year (due mainly to lots of French travel) and quickly rose to Gold & soon to be Platinum. Worst scheme of all.
    No recognition at all in any of the hotels I have stayed at.
    €40 reward vouchers against rooms are almost worthless since they cannot be used against promo pricing or early booking – I went to book a room last week and could have booked a pre-pay rate at €20 less than ‘full fare’ meaning the value of the €40 voucher is effectively reduced to €20.
    Now dropped Accor completely, in favour of Marriott

MarcusGB
    Participant

That has changed. Where you can spend your earned point / vouchers they can be redeemed on line or at the hotel if you ask them. I earn my platinum each year with worldwide stays

I am in Budapest at a modest but central stylish Mercure. I had fruits wine snacks, a welcome letter, late check out and privilege Club access during my stay and 10% off all spends. Apart from a club lounge there is a special area in the main breakfast hall for Privilege guests nice and quiet if you choose not to have club light breakfast

They appear to have broadened the welcome and benefits across all brands now, so you get well treated, with the priority desk at all brands, and perks of some sort and a welcome gift with a good room for you, and upgrades through mid to upper scales. The Ibis and Mercure brand have really been improved in the last year in decor choice of rooms and every other way.

Many promotions of triple points so add them for miles or vouchers around the world and you are ok. Also Private discounted sales a few times a year.
    Much improved i am happy to say, but you MUST book through Accor website for the status to be notified and acted upon when you arrive. It will alert the Management.

You can also use a cashback site then go into your accor account so get an extra 10% eventually credited back to you.

Considering most hotels have clawed back, I am very happy with the range of Accor, the Global presence now in South Africa and enlarging in Asia.

K1ngston
    Participant

Due to operational reasons I have to choose the Novotel Brisbane Airport which I was not looking forward too. Well I have to say my experiences in the hotel are second to none. They have all my preferences in their system and are extremely welcoming and have upgraded me on every visit to the hotel in the last 4 months which is often!

Having stayed in other hotels in the region, I have to say that the experience in Novotel is on par with any other 5 star establishment especially in Australia, and also is a comfort when using Brisbane as a staging point for all the South Sea Islands

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls