Is 5 years a normal time to change a class?

Back to Forum
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Anonymous

Bruce98
    Participant

On another thread today, information posted suggests that BA New First will take about 4-5 years to roll out across that part of the fleet that features an F cabin. As I don’t use first class, I have no ax to grind over this, but I wonder what the other posters on the board think, is this about the usual period required to fit out a fleet of about 100 aircraft?

SimonS1
    Participant

I can understand the logistical challenges, however the longer it all takes the more challenging it becomes, as the reality then doesn’t match the hype and people can feel short changed if they get the ‘old’ product. Especially if the prices are the same.

Tim2soza
    Participant

The fit out is often done when an aircraft comes in for it’s D check. This occurs approx every 5 years for a 747 and takes 5 weeks. Since the plane is stripped to the bone, it is an ideal time to do the work. There was a great documentary on this on Engineering Giants on the Beeb. It might be on iPlayer.

Bruce98
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. It seems to make sense to refurbish the aircraft every 5 years, but do they really charge the same fare for an old product versus a new one? What is the ‘Beeb?’

Tim2soza
    Participant

Sorry, Beeb is the BBC or Britsh Broadcasting Corporation. http://www.bbc.co.uk Search BBC iPlayer on Google

Bruce98
    Participant

Many thanks, appreciate the tip.

Bucksnet
    Participant

How long did it take to roll out new club world?

Bruce98
    Participant

I don’t know – does anyone else?

Binman62
    Participant

It has taken way too long but primarily because of a decision by BA to not refit older aircraft. They would rather compensate via avios.
    BA rolled out this refurbished product with massive hyperbole and I have always maintained that they and others should be prevented.fron advertising a product until there is a realistic chance of the passenger actually experiencing it. This can be route specific.
    Nice as it is, it is a poor relative to almost every other major arlines First products.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls