Into administration ….

Back to Forum

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  ASK1945 4 Aug 2019
at 16:59

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• capetonianm
    Participant

I see that Late Rooms and Super Break, owned by Malvern Group, have gone into administration affecting possibly 50,000 passengers. I would imagine that ABTA bonding would cover those who had booked packages.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-49200999

I don’t really know how these companies operate, but I am guessing that they collect payment upfront months in advance and then when they have to pay the hotels/operators they face a cash flow crisis.

Another reason to book direct with properties or with a travel agency.

1 user thanked author for this post.

SimonS1
    Participant

Most people covered but sadly some reports of Crowne Plaza asking families to either pay again or leave the hotel at 9.30pm. Disgusting.

cwoodward
    Participant

I hope that that stupid decision will be overridden. Surely it must be ?

BackOfThePlane
    Participant

I don’t know of all the details and agree that it is very upsetting for anyone (everyone) involved but, if the hotel haven’t been paid and now look unlikely to be paid by the Malvern Group, what are they supposed to? Provide free accommodation? Very difficult upsetting for clients but also very difficult for the hotel and a problem not of their making.

SimonS1
    Participant

I don’t know of all the details and agree that it is very upsetting for anyone (everyone) involved but, if the hotel haven’t been paid and now look unlikely to be paid by the Malvern Group, what are they supposed to? Provide free accommodation? Very difficult upsetting for clients but also very difficult for the hotel and a problem not of their making.

So that justifies the threat to put families out on the street at 9.30pm in London? And then the room sits empty overnight? Sounds like grade A public relations.

2 users thanked author for this post.

mkcol74
    Participant

I’ve see that LNER & Virgin Trains are allowing pax to still travel where they’ve booked rail-inclusive packages.

Now that makes sense.

ASK1945
    Participant

I don’t really know how these companies operate, but I am guessing that they collect payment upfront months in advance and then when they have to pay the hotels/operators they face a cash flow crisis.

Another reason to book direct with properties or with a travel agency.

………….. and always pay by credit card – not debit card, cash or cheque, as an extra layer of security for getting your money back.

PS: before I retired a few years back I used Superbreaks a lot for my business travels around the UK. They saved me a heap of money. Sorry to see them go.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

We have to remember that the only reason people book on sites like these is that they are cheaper. They are cheaper for a reason, and as Capetonianm says “Another reason to book direct with properties or with a travel agency.” He should perhaps have added the word “real” before travel agency.

If you look at reviews there are always people whingeing that “We had to pay for internet, which should be free in this day and age” or “breakfast was a rip off as many people had it included”. The reason that the low cost booking sites are cheaper is that they cut out the “frills”. You pay less, you get less. Simples.

I listen to friends with similar moans, and they all have preferred booking sites. Some prefer Expedia, some Hotels.com, some Trivago, some Travelocity. Guess what https://www.expediagroup.com/expedia-brands/

Do people realise the companies that Booking owns https://www.bookingholdings.com/

When we see scrolling saying: checking against 205 other websites why do we fall for it?

Perhaps we can check on Tripadvisor. Oh, no https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/TripAdvisor

My whinge over now. I can tell that I am getting old!

4 users thanked author for this post.

capetonianm
    Participant

FaroFlyer

Thank you for those interesting links, I must admit I hadn’t realised the extent of the ‘inbreeding’ amongst these companies. I sometimes use sites such as Kayak for comparisons but will invariably book direct with the airline. It may be unfair, but I am more interested in ‘number 1’ than in their profits! Some of the OLTAs they can send the unwary to are distinctly dodgy and have terrible reviews and no European presence.

I sometimes look for car rental rates on consolidator sites such as Auto Europe, and usually find so many restrictions, or the rates are no better than booking direct, that again I end up booking direct. It also gives you a far better chance of redress if anything goes wrong. Classic example a couple of years ago I went to Ireland with a friend, he booked with a consolidator and the car was limited to 150km/day, I could have got a slightly lower rate with unlimited km direct.

I did mean ‘real’ travel agency, but thank you for highlighting my omission. I will sometimes book with a well known OLTA such as Expedia if there is a good saving, for example I bought a ticket for my son to join us in CPT in April, on BA’s website it was €900 and on Expedia it was €500, identical flights. At that saving, the risk is worth taking.

A recent BBC ‘Rip Off Britain’ covered this topic, and the general consensus was that booking direct is generally the smart option.

capetonianm
    Participant

More than 100 flights have been cancelled at Heathrow Airport next week, as holidaymakers brace themselves for the first of a wave of strikes set to scupper their travel plans. Security guards, firefighters and engineers are among those staging crippling walkouts on Monday and Tuesday at the height of the summer getaway period.

The strikes, orchestrated by the UK’s largest union Unite, are expected to hit almost 90,000 passengers and lead to the cancellation of around a fifth of flights from the west London airport.Heathrow Airport say they have cancelled 172 flights so far and are advising passengers to arrive two or three hours before their flight’s depart time to avoid lengthy queues at security.
    Wayne King, Unite’s regional coordinating officer..…………..

His parents had a sense of humour, or they knew what he would grow up to be, although perhaps ‘grow up’ is not the right word for a militant trade unionist.

PeterCoultas
    Participant

If Crown Plaza accept bookings through these dodgy (now bankrupt)companies they should honour the bookings..it is their fault they chose to boost business through them….actually, a reason to always book direct with suppliers who don’t discount through intermediaries….i.e avoid Crowne Plaza

ASK1945
    Participant

If Crown Plaza accept bookings through these dodgy (now bankrupt)companies they should honour the bookings..it is their fault they chose to boost business through them….actually, a reason to always book direct with suppliers who don’t discount through intermediaries….i.e avoid Crowne Plaza

I always go to a hotel site directly before booking to get a guide price, then search the other sites. Often the hotel site is the cheapest – but not always. I pay by credit card so am not concerned about losing my money if the (so called) “dodgy site” with whom I book goes belly up. I should add, I tend to go with the bigger names such as Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com etc. and never small, unknown companies.

In an experience with Superbreaks a while ago I was quoted online by a hotel £159 excluding breakfast. On the phone, I got them down to £129 including breakfast, but the people paying for me declined to reimburse that amount. Superbreaks did the deal for £89 including breakfast. In the morning the receptionist (on checkout) handed me my bill for incidentals – but it was the wrong bill. It was the bill to Superbreaks for my room and breakfast – £49. Incidentally, the hotel was not a Crowne Plaza, but another well-known chain.

FaroFlyer
    Participant

Quote “I should add, I tend to go with the bigger names such as Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com etc. and never small, unknown companies.”

Except, Expedia and Hotels.com is the same thing. Booking.com is Priceline

ASK1945
    Participant

Quote “I should add, I tend to go with the bigger names such as Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com etc. and never small, unknown companies.”

Yes, I know. But they sometimes quote different prices.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Business Traveller September 2019 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls