International SIM Cards

Back to Forum
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

• LuganoPirate
    Participant

Just an update. Add €20 to your operatorone.com account and they’ll give you another €10. Expires end Dec. voice quality now radically improved.

CallMeIshmael
    Participant

Have noticed a couple of posts stating phoneS . I have been using a dual Sim (Samsung B7722) touchscreen phone for 6 months now and find it more convenient than having multiple phones.

IMHO Samsung has the best offering of dual sim phones at present with both Nokia and LG coming up fast. They are unlocked so you are free to choose the best service providers for each of your regions.

MarkCymru
    Participant

There’s no problem buying a SIM or a phone. However, you’ll have to keep visiting stores (any drugstore will do) to buy top up vouchers unless you have a credit card registered to a US address (as most use ZIP-code verification). Amex appears to approve charges with any random ZIP code but you can’t rely on it always being like this.

Virgin Mobile USA requires that you use another phone (it runs over the Sprint CDMA network) but lets you top up with Pay Pal (you can set it to auto top up when you’re running low). Pay Pal will happily take the funds from a UK card or bank account (or, in my case from a US dollar card registered to a UK address). The phones are very cheap (you can get an Android smartphone for about $150 or a simple one for about $20). Their rates to Europe are much lower than AT&T or T-Mobile (3 cents a minute to some countries). Data costs are also reasonable and there are various packages for unlimited calls or data which you can buy without a US credit reference or a long-term commitment.

The Uk roaming charges depend on us not caring: T Mobile charges £7 per MB for data, for example.

RichHI1
    Participant

Over the holidays been using skype on verizon and at&t and got very good quality for almost nothing. Videocalling on my Iphone 4s from the beach is great way to upset your friends in the frozen north.

LuganoPirate
    Participant

The think I like about operator one (apart from the very cheap calls) is the way you set up your numbers and they are then converted to a local number and automatically added to your iPhone, android etc phone biok with the preface “OO”. No need to change SIM though in fairness for optimum savings it’s best to use it with a local card.

MartynSinclair
    Participant

Happy New Year Rich

I guess it will depend on which beach you are phoning from. I hear the beaches around Cornwall are not very warm at the moment!!

Some one was telling me about the the Hawaiian alphabet having 12 letters and I was trying hard to remember the Happy New Year greeting but could not remember it.

In English though, Happy New Year and all the best for 2012.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
The cover of the Business Traveller April 2024 edition
Be up-to-date
Magazine Subscription
To see our latest subscription offers for Business Traveller editions worldwide, click on the Subscribe & Save link below
Polls